What's new

Speakers for 100% HT use? (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I can't beleive how much of a problem I'm having trying to figure out witch speakers to go with for 100% HT.I have the Kenwood 504 with a vel.ct150 sub.I would like to upgrade the speakers.I have had my mind made up four or five times.Jbl-s38-Jbl-n38-divas-level three books-level three towers on cheap home theater.com.I guess my question is--Just how far do I need to go to have a OK 100%HT setup?Since I have speakers set to small and a sub witch will be replaced in Jan.with a SVS or 18" VEL is it important to have towers or would that be a waist or should I say overkill.What I want is volume-clarity with out distortion when the house is empty.I would rather not spend to much on this if possible?4-600 for two mains and a center.I do like the looks of towers though,but would I have better sound from this since speakers are set to small?Most likley many of my HTF comrads have been through the same thought process.Can any of you give me some help on this?Your past experience could benefit me much.PS.Say if I went with the n38 over the s38 would I here more bass since it has a lower range?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
How big is your room? Why would you replace the sub? You won't notice a HUGE difference with an SVS or velo 18". If you currently only have a Kenwood 504 you are already probably overkilling your speakers/amp with that sub.

THe diva's looks nice and the JBL's sound great. Just listen and buy for 100% HT you won't notice that much difference between speakers. Music is what reveals it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thats what I was wondering,would there be that much of a difference.I do know my center has a hard time with higher voices.As far as the sub goes,your right.That is why I would like to upgrade the speakers but do not know just how far to go.If I was 100% music then there would be no end.I am happy with my sub but I mmmm--want the best I can get.In my understanding this does not tax my receiver.The sub it came with taxed me.For the price what could I expect!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Steve, I'd recommend my route - four JBL S26 & S-Center. With my SVS 25-31PCi, it sounds better that the Mountain View 16 DD/DTS/SDDS Century Theater - JBL equiped I might add! For HT - it's mighty impressive! I followed Dolby Lab's 5.1 Guideline Procedure and chose identical speakers to anchor the Fronts & Surrounds, and this allows me to fully reproduce the specific 20 Hz to 20 kHz discrete sound, effects and ambience programmed in by the Recording Sound Engineer. Some DVD movies have seamless sound transitions crossing from the outside Front Left channel (beginning of the effect), moving towards the Center, Center Above, crossing over to the Right Surround diagonally to the rear corner of the room.
My 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling speaker placement imitates Dolby's Typical 5.1-CH Room Layout which is why I can virtually locate the full 360 degree discrete sound placements in my HT/family room!
JBL is still used in about 70% in the Theaters around the world, and many of the DD/DTS 5.1 Music / DVD's are mixed using the TEC Award Winning JBL PRO LSR Studio Monitors. The JBL S26 takes it's design queue from JBL PRO LSR25P Studio Monitor.
Read my JBL N24 vs. JBL S26 review - gives you an idea of it's performance, which is fully taken advantaged by DVD Movies, especially if it's coupled with an SVS Sub!! :)
But this made my day, ... this article from Electronic Musician, Jul 1, 2001 By Scott Wilkinson - OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY, since he wrote . . . well, read this quote ...
, which certainly pleased our hosts.
So, add the JBL S26 on your audition list, I got the four S26 & S-Center for $554.86 including 3-Day FedEX.
For more JBL INFO, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Check out JBL NSP-1 from etronics.com. Less than 500 bucks

for complete package (4) N-24's, (1) N-center, and (1) PB-10 sub) Am completely satisfied with mine for over a year now. Have them hooked to an Onkyo 575. Couldn't be more pleased considering the cost.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the HTD level three package but after reading this I might check out JBL. I really want floor standing for aesthetic reasons so what is the best floor standers around the $500 range or less. Also has anyone gotten a JBL setup with floorstanders for less than $800? Thanks for all the info.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I own 2 pairs of JBL S38s as well as the S36s. They are a great speaker, especially for the money. I have them in two different rooms--but I find that they do better in the smaller of the two rooms and ironically sound better if they aren't placed in a bookshelf.

If you're willing to spend more money you might want to consider the Divas. I own them as well and they do sound clearly better than the JBLs IMO, but they are much more expensive, too. I'll bet if you were to call AV123.com you could get a pretty good deal on a pair of 4.1s.

Either way you'll have a nice setup.

--Steve

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the HTD level three package but after reading this I might check out JBL. I really want floor standing for aesthetic reasons so what is the best floor standers around the $500 range or less.
I'd consider the factory outlet Axiom M50s (barely blemished).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I sure do like the way the diva's look.$500 for the center though.I did contemplate their $1198 deal.I think I should force myself away from them though.I wonder how my Kenwood VR-507 would push them.My second answer to this post stated speakers won't make that much of a difference for HT.Is this the case? I sure do like the music on all my DVD's and can't think of a movie with out music.I do like the way my system sounds, especially after sub upgrade so I have wanted to upgrade the speakers to.I did go to BBuy and did like the s 38 and the s center very much.I had this feeling I could throw any thing at them and it would be able to handle it.Thanks Phil, Yes I have read your previous posts,you make a good point.I appreciate the help.I hope it does make a difference with the effort I'm putting into this?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Definitive bipoles, all the way. There is nothing like the bipolar sound for HT; everything has depth and holographic sound like nothing else I've heard. The off-axis cohesion is outstanding so you can have a lot of people without worrying about squeezing them into the sweet spot. The highs are sweet and the bass is powerful. Basically the Definitives do everything extremely well but they add another 10% of
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
to any movie, particularly action flicks.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
"My second answer to this post stated speakers won't make that much of a difference for HT.Is this the case?"

No, it isn't. Who around here said that nonsense? People often say that speaker quality is somewhat less critical for HT than for music, but no serious enthusiast feels that it is irrelevant for HT. Actually, it is extremely important for HT. Don't forget that movies contain large amounts *music* and that music will sound far superior where you have good main speakers. Second of all, poor quality speakers tend to be bright (forward in the highs), which can produce a detailed sound for HT but can be just as fatiguing as it is with music. Accuracy in sonic reproduction is important for HT as well as music. Third, whether you use dipolar or direct radiators for surrounds makes a large difference in terms of imaging and diffusion in the rear soundfield.

Of course, there is a diminishing return in buying speakers for HT, just like for music. But it isn't anywhere near $500-$600. Spending money up to about $2k for 5 speakers is entirely justified for HT. You can spend a lot less than that of course if you have a limited budget. But do not spend $500 on your HT speakers because you have the impression that any set of speakers will do. If you are going to spend $500, spend that much because you can't afford more.

The argument for going cheap for an HT only system is a bit stronger for the electronics. I would definitely not spend money on high end separates for HT purposes only. A good mid-level receiver with a complete feature set and all decoding formats is all you need for strictly HT.

In your example, I would go for the Diva 4.1 package without even batting an eyelash unless I just couldn't spend that much money.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
My second answer to this post stated speakers won't make that much of a difference for HT.Is this the case?
Only if you have crappy speakers in your Home theater. :D
Good speakers make every bit as much difference in Home theater as they do in music. I In fact, some movie tracks have some very good MUSIC in them... The best thing to me about home video and DVD is the sound quality. That's what sets it apart from going to the theater. The amazing sound experience. I think many speakers do an excellent job on both. I prefer a more detailed sounding speaker for Movies but they can't be harsh. I have been using Kefs, but find them a bit too laid back for Movies. I just recently ordered a complete set of Divas after comparing them directly to the Kefs. They are just as good for Music as they are for Video.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Does the Diva 4.1 package have any other color other than the wood finish. My whole HT is black and it would clash bigger than life.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Does the Diva 4.1 package have any other color other than the wood finish. My whole HT is black and it would clash bigger than life.
My Home theater is all black (for now) too and I was thinking the same thing until I saw them with the Grills on. Between the Piano Black tops and the grills being all black, you really only see a bit of the wood grain when looking at them from the front. I decided it would be a nice contrast while still being predominately black.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone been able to here both HTD level threes and The Diva's set together. Also how do these divas compare to the JBL's talked about earlier. I have upped my budget from originally $500 to get the HTD at $780 shipped but I was wondering exactly how much better the Divas are going to be and if they will be worth the extra $500? I just want to get speakers that won't be out of date in like 2 years.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
First of all, if you find speakers you are happy with, they won't go out of date any time soon. The Divas match beautifully with all black monitors and components and have a classic look that will not likely get dated. There has been a review of the Divas and HTD here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks