1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers and Room size

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChristW, Jun 20, 2003.

1. ChristW

ChristW Agent

Hi all,
    My room is only going to be 12'x12' (but will be open to another 12'x12' room, as well as the staircase going up). So with that, are there any speaker limitations I should look at?

My wife and I listened to some lower-end Klipsch speakers (SB-3) a few months ago and we both really liked them. When I checked their site, I realized that we might be able to do better. I looked at the RF-7s, and was very impressed and they fit into my budget. However, is that going to sound good in my relatively small room?

For the record, I'd like to buy the best speakers I can right now and not have to buy new ones for a good 10-20 years if possible. We'll probably move out of our current place in 4-5 years, so I want to be able to grow into any speakers I buy now. But I also don't want the speakers I buy now to sound like crap until I get the new place.

So I guess my question basically boils down to, if I buy big speakers now, will they sound good in my room? Or should I get less powerful speakers and just hope that I don't have to upgrade later?

Thanks all!
    Chris

2. ChristW

ChristW Agent

*bump*

Anyone?

CW

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

In a room that small, you should really be looking at mini-monitors. Large speakers need room to breath, or the bass can be overpowering.

I actually have Klipsch RB5.II's in a 11'x12' room. I liked how they sounded when I got them, but after living with them for almost a year, the brightness is getting to me.

In a couple weeks I'll be getting some GR-Resaerch Criterion's

http://www.gr-research.com/lucidity/criterion.htm

4. JamesF

JamesF Extra

what do you mean by the brightness
    ???

5. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator