What's new

Speaker suggestions (1 Viewer)

Michael_Mc

Grip
Hi all.

I've been auditioning speakers for a 5.1 speaker setup. I've listened to B&W CM series, Paradigm studio/60, JM Labs Cobalt Series, Revels and Alon Capri. With about A $4,500.00 budget for my speaker setup, I find all these speakers to be very good. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble narrowing down my selection. Is thereanything further I should be considering. I haven't purchased any audio equipment in a good 12 years.

I'm considering the AVM 20 along with MCA 5 or Rotel amp or if I choose a receiver route I may go with the Integra 8.3 when it comes out.

Thank you in advane for your inputs.

Mike

Michael_Mc

Grip
Hey I was hoping for a little more input here. With more than 25,000 registered members, I thought I might get some more help.

Anybody have any input on the speakers I've mentioned or something further I should consider in the $4,500.00 price range.

Any thoughts.

Mike

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I love the way my paradigm studio 100's sound. They are very clean. For more money I did like the Revel's better, but the bugdet did not allow for it. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the paradigm.

Brandon

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Paradigm Reference setup, and I love it. For the money, you cannot beat them:)Heres my review on how to buy them cheap! http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com...s=&threadid=63 With your budget, you could get a Reference Setup, a dual SVS 20-39 setup with a Samson S700 to power the subs, and maybe an Anthem MCA 5II.( If you are planning to buy the amp and the speakers at the same time they are sure to work with you, and they sell both the Anthem and Paradigm!
Good Luck, and let me know if I can help.
Fred

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
B&W CDM7NT=$2000

B&W CDMCNT= $600

B&W CDM1NT=$1200

Total=$3800

OR

B&W 804=$3600

B&W CDNCNT=$600

B&W 601=$400

Total=$4600

OR

B&W 805=$2000

B&W HTM2=$1000

B&W CDM1NT=$1200

total=$4200

good luck

(as you can tell, I am partial to B&W)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I'd look at some Proac 125 towers---$1800 pair (4 would be nice) then get the PROac center.

You can still get the NHT 2.9's for around $1500 a pair. Add the 2.5i's to the rear $700 a pair and AC2 center $450.

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I own a pair of CM4's and love them.

For that amount of money I would also listen to PSB, Thiel and Canton.

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the ACI Sapphire III thread on this forum. ACI is probably the oldest and certainly one of the very best of the factory-direct audio companies. I own and have owned many ACI speakers over the years, always terrifically musical and extremely well built. The highest value.
www.audioc.com

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Mike, since you asked for more input, here's .02.

But first, let me ask how you like your music to sound? I'm a fan of horn-loaded speakers for their very "live" sound -- like I'm in the room with the musicians while they record it. Others think it is too "bright," "forward," whathaveyou.

That said, you should listen to the Klipsch Reference line, probably the RF-7s. It may be what you are looking for. Listen especially for the sizzle of cymbals and the piano hammers on the strings and the lips of the vocalist brushing the mic. Make sure they demo them using good quality amplification, as these are fairly unforgiving speakers.

Doug

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Mike,
If you are a big music fan, it's imperative to select a type of music (jazz, blues, rock, R&B, etc.) that you like and take some albums/CDs with you while you are audioning the speakers.
The best case scenario is to get the speakers in your home with your electronics. Do the audition there.
I am a big B&W fan, so I would third Rodney's suggestions. Especially the second. If you can stretch a couple of hundred bucks, you could get Nautilus 804s in the front, HTM-2 center, and a pair of 601/02s in the rear. This is a stellar set-up. You mentioned Rotel for amplification, works great with B&W, IMO.
If you are a hard rockin' heavy metal freak, Klipsch may be the way to go:) Seriously, rock sounds great...so do movies on the Klipsch Reference line.
I'm not familiar with Paradigm...but there are many fans here at HTF. I think the B&W Nautilus line is very much a step up from the Paradigm Studio line...just my opinion.
There are many others...Thiel, Magnepan, Von Schweikert, etc. Let your ears lead the way.
My vote, with your budget, would be a modest B&W Nautlus set-up....
Jeremy

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Is the subwoofer included in your stated budget? IMO, a quality subwoofer is critical (given the $$$ you're spending). You should also budget $140 for a Parametric EQ (to tame room peaks in the bass response).

Michael_Mc

Grip
Well I was leaning towards B&W, however, I was going to audition them along side some Dynaudio.

I will be burning my own CD shortly. I like classic rock, however, my wife likes the Mark Anthony, Ricky Martin type. She'll listen to mine and I'll listen to hers.

If I move my budget up on speakers my thinking is I would have to purchase a receiver instead of separates, and I was hoping to avoid that. Also, the speakers need to be astetically apealing to my wife. I had a hard time convincing her to go with floorstanding speakers.

By the way my room is 15 x 30 with 8 foot ceiling.

Mike

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
After spending a couple days living with the Nautilus 805's, Paradigm Studio 40's, and ACI Sapphire III's, I would definately say that the 40's are the bargain of the bunch. Before purchasing my 40's a year and half ago I listened to all of the Paradigm Studio line except for the 80's and thought that the 40's with a good sub, were the best that they had to offer.
But after spending a week now with the Sapphire III's, I dare to say that they have bested the 40's in many areas, but they also cost 1.5 times as much. Both clearly outperformed the B&W's IMHO.
As far as WAF goes, they are a very good looking speaker. The picture does not do them justice. But hey, don't take my word for it. Call ACI and tell them that you want to demo a pair in home for 30 days, ask for a demo/used pair and they will pay the shipping too. Just be sure and compare them to the Dynaudio's and report back here. I have no close dealer to do so, but really wanted to!
s1.jpg

Jerry Reynolds

Auditioning
6 maggie smga's 800.00 uses the6th for back channel

two hsu subwoofers 800.00

use the rest on a second system for the bedroom.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
"If you are a hard rockin' heavy metal freak, Klipsch may be the way to go Seriously, rock sounds great...so do movies on the Klipsch Reference line."
Wow, never knew I was still a hard rockin' heavy metal freak! It's been years since I put on my MegaDeath t-shirt with the pinhole burns in it :D
Kidding aside, I just wanted to say that I listen to all kinds of music on my Klipsch Chorus speakers, and it all sounds great to me -- again, personal taste. Jazz (Diana Krall sends chills down my spine as I listen), Piano (I can hear David Lanz pressing the piano pedals and the hammers hitting the keys), and even rock! But, Mike, since you like rock and your wife likes pop, it sounds like a perfect speaker match for you.
Doug

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
If you are considering Dynaudio then you may also want to take a look at Vienna Acoustics (German speaks distributed by Sumiko.) I am running Mozarts with the Maestro center and Haydns in the rear and love them so I am biased.
The Mozarts are floorstanders with a narrow profile and they have a beautiful finish. Little shy in the low end so a subwoofer is still required.
Very smooth mids and a silk tweeter so they are a little laid back sounding. Just the way I like it.
You're not me though so I would suggest an audition if possible.
:)

AnnC

Auditioning
Hi, Mike. We've recently gotten a pair of the Klipsch RB-5 II bookshelves and a RC-3 II center and I love their sound. (With a two-year old poking her curious, grubby fingers into everything there was no way I was going for nice floor-standing speakers!) You might give Klipsch a listen.
I'm tearing my hair out waiting for my SVS 16-46PCi, because with everything else sounding so darn good, we need really need that bass to make it complete. Now does anyone have any suggestions on toddler-proofing the SVS? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks