What's new

Speaker suggestions $1500/pair (1 Viewer)

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Hi all. A buddy of mine is getting ready to buy some speakers. He has asked me for some advice and I've offered some, but I wanted to get some other opinions before we go on. He's wanting to use them for a stereo setup, spend around $1500 or less for the pair, and will be using them in his basement (about 11' x 24'x 7').

Right now, without auditioning anything, he wants to listen to some Martin Logan's. I'm not too familiar with these speakers in this price range but in the short time I spent reading about them I don't think they're the right speaker for him. I read about them in the past and my feelings were mixed based on the reviews. And, it's been years since I've listened to any.

I'm wanting to offer him some other speaker manufacturers to try out. I've recommended B&W, Meadowlark, Polk LSi series, and Paradigm.

Would any of you care to offer any suggestions that I could pass on to him? I'm pretty sure he's going to be buying a receiver in the $1,000 price range as well, although he really wants to do seperate components.

Please, if any of you can offer some starting places I'd appreciate it. Also, if any of you can offer some good technical "getting started" or "what to look for" pages that I could email him to read, that would help too. It's hard for me to explain what all I know in my mind in a way for him to get it. I would like to point him somewhere where he can read about the basics of what to look for when auditioning speakers - what is most important.

I'd like to help him find the best speaker for his money. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Martin Logans are that speaker.

Thanks, all.

-DD

MikeWHA

Grip
Just got back from auditioning the Paradigm Studio 40s and 60s. They sounded great. Dealer quoted me $1460 pr for the Studio 60s. If you can find a Paradigm dealer, I'd recommend checking them out. You can also check out the Paradigm Monitors while you are there. You can get the Monitor 11s and a pair of Monitor 5s for under $1500.

MikeNg

Second Unit
GR Research says -3dB to 40Hz, but the graph they have only goes to 200Hz. Hmmmm...

I'll throw in a couple of other speakers to check out:

Onix Ref 2's - (if he's willing to sqeeze a couple more bills out).

RBH 661-SE's. $1398/pair.
These guys are little-discussed around these parts, but IMO are really worth the time to seek out.

Mike

george king

Supporting Actor
Mike,

The graph is the frequency response plot, which is essentially flat, and what you want for that type of plot. It tells you nothing about how low and loud it will play, as that is affected by a host of other factors, such as cabinet design.

In this case the design is a transmission line, which results in a deep response. I have a pair of these in my theater. Although I havent measured, I would say the in room response (bass reinforcement) is probably down around 35 Hz. So, for most types of music, a sub wont really be necessary. With a good sub (I have a 2L sealed, 12" Titanic MKII DIY sub), there is more than enough bass for HT, unless you are looking for really really deep bass, say down around 20 Hz.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I think what Mike was saying is that the company claims it is relatively flat down to 40Hz, yet their chart only shows down to 200Hz which seems odd. If it is really +/-3dB down to 40Hz (and I have no reason to believe that it is not), you'd think they'd want to show that on the graph.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Yes, Seth reiterated correctly. If they claim flat to 40, shouldn't they show it, if they're showing anything? I don't mean to suggest any slight of hand or deception, but by nature I'm a skeptic. It's the skeptic in me.

No matter, YMMV no matter what you get. George, if you ever get a chance to measure the actual response in your room, it would be interesting.

There's actually quite a bit of info below 35Hz in movies nowadays (and 20Hz to boot), if you watch alot of the action/sci-fi/epic stuff. My bookshelves easily extend down to 40 Hz which does fine for 2-ch. music, but when I watch movies I have to use my sub. I just don't get the same sort of experience without it.

Mike

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I am biased, obviously, towards the speakers that I chose in this pricerange.

Things that I auditioned seriously: dynaudio audience 52, audience 52SE, B&W CDM NT1, B&W 705, Studio 20 V2 and V3. I heard some other stuff I didn't care for, some PSB, JM labs, linn, i forget what all.

I would send him listening, or join him if you want, to hear as much as possible.

Tastes vary, but my tastes brought home the 52SE, no contest.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
GR only shows down to 200Hz in that graph because that is how the software they are using charts FR.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I guess if your hearing is perfectly flat you should consider a speaker with a flat graph. If you are like 99.9% of us who don't hear flat then you have to listen to the speakers and buy the ones that tickle your ears the best. Speakers are one of the few audio components that specs really can't do justice for.

Depending on your particular hearing one set of speakers may sound good to you and only fair to another listener. I would also say that the speakers will make the most difference to you than any other component.

I had a guy at an Audio shop tell me to through my Denon preamp and Power amp out because they didn't cost 8000.00 and they were too old to be any good.

So I took my spec sheets into them and gave them an education. Funny how that works. My OLD Denon stuff was better or as good as anything they had in that store. Was a real eye opener for that fella.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
MikeNG - If you haven't heard the A/V-3s, then how can you seriously pass judgement on them? I own A/V-2s (-3dB at 55Hz) and A/V-1s (-3dB at 50Hz) and both of them have some respectable bass. There's enough bass with the A/V-2s that I can listen to music without my sub, no question. For movies, I'd always want a sub, so I don't get where you are going with your response curve questioning, but if you want info about these speakers you can e-mail GR directly and I'm sure they will give you any and all info you want on them. Danny is great about responding. These are some very capable speakers, and for a 2ch setup, I'd have no problem recommending them at all. In the price class, I'd say they're pretty tough to beat.

Might want to read this review too:

http://hometheaterspot.com/html/revi...iew.php?rev=68

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Please forgive me for jumping in this again, but I really don't think Mike was passing judgement on them. He simply asked why the graph only goes down to 200Hz. If someone was suggesting a speaker to you and they said it's a full range speaker and showed you a graph. But the graph only showed to 1khz, wouldn't you have a right to question it? I'm sure they're great speakers.

I believe George that his go down to 35Hz in his room and that they're relatively flat. I also, based on George's claim, believe the company's claim that they're flat to 40Hz. But wouldn't it make sense for the company to post the graph down to 40Hz?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are right, not exactly passing judgement, but is a graph what one needs to decide if a speaker is good or not? I can't tell you why they don't post the full response, but as I said, I'm sure they have the info if it is desired.

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses and help. I'm sure he's read the post and found some ideas. The problem is, it's not going to be easy to find a lot of these speakers in our area.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming.

-DD

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
GR can ship you a pair of A/V-1s or A/V-2s to audition for a week or so (for the price of shipping). That's what I did, and I ended up buying a full set.

Ascend Acoustics, Axiom Audio, and Onyx I believe all offer 30 day trials with a refund (minus some fee or shipping).

Check your area for a Paradigm dealer at their site: www.paradigm.ca

And there is also www.audioenvy.com that you can check your area for Rockets from Onyx, Swans, and SVS that might be available for auditionig.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
First, let your friend audition the Martin Logan's and decide for himself. Just make sure during the audition he gets up and walks around the room; including walking toward the main speakers on the outsides of each speaker. Do this and he will likely realize that Martin Logan's have a very small 'sweet spot'. Move out of the sweet spot and the sound drastically changes..for the worse. Walk towards the mains just on the outiside and the highs will suddenly drop off when you get close enough.

It would help if we knew whether or not your friend will be mating the speakers with a subwoofer. If not, is deep bass something he requires? If it were me, and I was not going to be using a subwoofer, I would want a tower that could at least reach down to 25-30hz.

A few speakers I personally recommend:
Paradigm Studio 60's
Wharfedale Pacific Evolution's (Evo-30 if using sub; Evo-40's if not)
Axiom M80's

Steve*_P

Agent
Have him check out the Cambridge Soundworks T500's I have them and I love them. They are around 1500 for the pair.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
KEF Q11 - They're wonderful for HT and classical. They sound a bit boomy for rock, but that's probably the horrible room they're in now.

Give them a listen. I compared them to Klipsch, Boston, Paradigm, and B&W. I preferred KEF. They're very detailed like Klipsch or Boston, but more balanced and not as bright.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks