What's new

Speaker Dicisions (1 Viewer)

So..

Looking at speakers I was thinking of a few options.

So I can use current speakers (nothing special here) and make 7.1 system and use it till I can piece together something like this Will be some time before I can do this though. (not what I really want to do as I want something better sounding NOW!)

So until then how about an interim system and was thinking of...

1. Get this bad arse system. I know most people here will agree this is awesome. just around $1000

2. Get Polk LSi25 with other side for fronts costing me 1130 (down side is no matching center for sale) so would be using existing center for center and current fronts for rear

3. Polk RTi12 fronts with CSi5 center for $1100 total and use current fronts for rear waiting on FXiA6 in black to go on sale currently only available in white and not sure how that would look in dark theater room

I would like to keep my spending in the 1000 to 1500 range but I am quite a bit flexible at this point so I was leaning more towards option 3 right now since I get the matching center.

Any other ideas / suggestions? Should I go for option1 and get the full package for a great price. I heard they sound Awesome.

You think the RTi is good or is the LSi worth the jump in price? / waiting to get a matching center?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Ralph Folkes said:
So..

Looking at speakers I was thinking of a few options.

So I can use current speakers (nothing special here) and make 7.1 system and use it till I can piece together something like this Will be some time before I can do this though. (not what I really want to do as I want something better sounding NOW!)

So until then how about an interim system and was thinking of...

1. Get this bad arse system. I know most people here will agree this is awesome. just around $1000

2. Get Polk LSi25 with other side for fronts costing me 1130 (down side is no matching center for sale) so would be using existing center for center and current fronts for rear

3. Polk RTi12 fronts with CSi5 center for $1100 total and use current fronts for rear waiting on FXiA6 in black to go on sale currently only available in white and not sure how that would look in dark theater room

I would like to keep my spending in the 1000 to 1500 range but I am quite a bit flexible at this point so I was leaning more towards option 3 right now since I get the matching center.

Any other ideas / suggestions? Should I go for option1 and get the full package for a great price. I heard they sound Awesome.

You think the RTi is good or is the LSi worth the jump in price? / waiting to get a matching center?

You are kidding about Option 1 right?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Polk's selling the LSi25's cheaper individually ($565 x 2) then as a pair ($1299) ??

The LSi's are worth the up-grade over the older RTi's, especially for music. Sound-wise, they are two completely different speakers. The RTi's (especially the older versions) are quite bright sounding while the LSi's are much softer (but much more "accurate"). The LSi center is usually available on the used market ($250-$350) and worth the effort to find one. If you're using a (good) subwoofer then consider the LSi15's instead. If this is an interim system then re-sale value should also be considered. A plus for the LSi's. They seem to hold their value fairly well. I've had a few offers to buy mine, even though they currently aren't for sale (yet).

If the speakers will be used stricktly for movies/tv then the RTi's are also very good. I like a brighter sound for movies, softer one for music.

The Arx line from TheAudioInsider is next on my radar

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/

But craigslist is the best place to buy speakers.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
As a former Acoustimass 6 owner I would encourage you to avoid the Acoustimass 10 or any other Bose product. I suppose its alright if you need a super small system but if your situation allows for a more full range and accurate speaker I would stick to your other considerations. These Bose systems are great for WAF but are neither full range nor accurate and they are very overpriced.

Yes #1 was a joke.

This is for dedicated Home theater room so wont be doing any stand alone music in there. (music on soundtrack yes)

Ya'll are making it even harder decision now. Looking for a LSi center channel and having a hard time finding one except one on Ebay for $600 and that is ridiculous. If I can't find the LSi center what should I go with instead? LSi M center? Everything says should be from same line so matched but how much of a difference does it make? Would the difference between the LSi C and LSi M be that significant?

Another question would be Amp. I purchased the Onkyo TXNR1010 for cheap from A4L.

I know at some point I should get a dedicated amp however with this receiver and the LSi am I going to be woefully under driven and forced to get a Amp now? Would the same be true for the RTi. Should I put something like the Emotiva XPA-3 on the next to get list?

Room size is 18'X15'X8'

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You need to check Ebay,CL and Audiogon on a regular basis. $600 is ridiculous. $250-$325 is more acurate. The LSi series, both new and old, and a couple of their Blackstone models use a version of the Vifa ring-radiating tweeter. It's quite a bit different then all the other tweeters Polk uses. If you want to do it right then you really need an LSiC. Until then, use whatever.

I've run my LSi's with a Marantz 5005, 6005 and even a little Elite 23-vsx for a while (at moderate volumes) and thankfully nothing broke. But I was on the edge of my seat most of the time waiting....I'm now using a 7005 and feel a bit better. But just a bit.

Well I found a LSi C on Ebay for 315 obo so I just jumped on it. (had 4 offers on it already)
and ordered the LSi25s from Polk

So in all I will have L/R LSi25 and LSi C for $1414 with shipping.

Not bad considering that is about the retail of just on speaker.

Just hope the wife isn't to upset at me.
If "underpowered", you were going to have that problem with any(original MSRP)

Doh I forgot to budget for the best speaker cables never realized it got this expensive.

I need to get me some of this and this. Now my system is going to sound like poop until i get these.

For HDMI cable looks like this is the thing to get only I will need to get 2 and a joiner to go between projector and unit.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't forget $2500 for a power cable, $800 for isolation feet, $18500 for a 1982 Cadillac Cimarron and $129 for a lousy divorce lawyer.

Monoprice.com

Bluejeancables.com

Partsexpress.com

HIFI

Auditioning
Not sure if I can post this here but I was not sure how to start a new thread on this site. But I have a question about Paradigm speakers. I have been researching the monitor 9's and the 11's and I am thinking about giving them a listen. Does anyone own these or has anyone listened to them? I have not yet but I am thinking about upgrading to these with a matching center from the Boston Acoustic VR 90's and a VRC Center. Also has anyone listened to theCenter 3? Any advice would be great. I am wanting a little more bass than I am getting with the VR90's. I have had them for 14 years. Again sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.HIFI

Well I ended up getting the LSi25 and LSiC (first ebay purchase of LSiC came broken and got refunded second was good)
For surrounds I am using some old Pair of Fischer speakers that I had been using in the garage and for back surrounds I am using the polks I used to use for front RT55I

20140326_145552.jpg

20140326_145620.jpg

20140326_145637.jpg

20140326_145654.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks