What's new

Speaker stands top plate: have to be as big or bigger than speaker's base? (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Concerning speaker stands for bookshelves, specifically Axiom M22s:

Does the top plate of the stand (where the speaker sits) have to be as big or bigger than the speaker's footprint?

Is it preferrable to have it that way?

Thanks.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
No, my KEF Q15s are about an inch or maybe 1.5" larger than the top plate all around. Use FunTak (yellow stuff from craft stores) or the infamous BluTak to ensure a nice solid "seal" between stand and speaker.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks. :)

I've been looking at premade stands under $100. Some look pretty good. But when I think about what I could make for about $25 in materials and a few hours of my time...I just gotta shake my head. ;)

There's that satisfaction of knowing you built "this" with your own hands and it's the best darn thing out there since sliced bread.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The bases of my stands are wider than my speakers by 1/2" on each side. I am not happy with the way it looks. I am going to have a machine shop make me some smaller bases, just for my speakers, which I'm hoping won't cost as much as the stands themselves :rolleyes:I know more than a few local machine shops, so I might be able to get a deal. My vote is to have the bases slightly smaller than the speakers.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John,

Ah, you like the "floating speaker" look too? So do I. :) I'm just worried that the sound will suffer (somehow..I dunno, that's why I'm asking!) due to the entire base of the speaker not being "planted."

I've never had bookshelves before, so I kinda have to start at "zero" with all the questions. :b

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When "decoupling" the speaker, it won't make contact with the entire plate, so that isn't quite so important.

ClayDo

Auditioning
i was onced linked to a "how to" on making speaker stands, does any one have that link?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try a search in the DIY forum, it will probably come up. There was one on this forum as well, but I think that was more than a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.