What's new

Speaker stand surface area (1 Viewer)

JohnnyM

Auditioning
Haven't seen this discussed but I need your general ideas about the surface size to place the speaker on. Many stands have something like 6"x6". My B&W 602's are about 9.25" X 12". I have seen no stands with a platform that size. What would you say is the minimum size for my speakers and how do you secure them to the platform? Also, seated, my ears are 37" up. The tweeters are 17" up. I assume I need 20" stands? If I had to go higher or lower a bit, would higher be better for general hi-fi usage?

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Your speakers will be fine for that size top plate. My stands are about 5"x5" on top and my speakers have about an 11 inch depth. I would have your speakers(the tweeter) at about ear level if you can.
------------------

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
not sure here but...
my understanding is that you don't want speaker stand platforms that are *larger* than the speaker. i've heard that extra surface area below the speaker can change the sound qualities?
in any case, as long as the platform can cover a majority of the speaker size, then i think you'll be fine. you don't want the platform to be so small that top-heaviness becomes an issue.
i've got some semi-large polks that are on a smaller platform and i haven't noticed any issues. i didn't "attach" them in any way. they just sit on little rubber feet.
in any case, i definitely recommend picking up some stands. that was the single best improvement i've ever done to my system.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I have a pair of Prime Designs J-Series stands (by Paradigm) holding up my 602/S2's. The are not as wide or deep as the 602's (by about 2" x 3" total), but I assure you they are perfect! I have had them for going on two years, and my son has knocked the left 602 off the stand once - he walked dead into it at night after the power failed and scared him. I since Blue Tak'd them, they are not going ANYWHERE now!
These stands look great with the 602's, and only cost about $179. Check them out @ Link Removed I picked up the 20" ones. They put the 602's tweeter right at ear level (38").
Good luck!
Pete

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
jacek -
i got mine as a gift from circuit city. i don't think they were more than 40 dollars. very inexpesive and they work well for me.
i wish they were the kind you could fill with sand or lead, but those are *much* more expensive.
i really like mine.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks