What's new

Speaker question for 5.1 and possible 6.1 surround in the future... (1 Viewer)

Matt Daeo

Grip
Currently I'm only planning on going with 5.1. My question is whether I should use bipole speakers for my rears or go with directs.

I may add a rear center channel in the future and don't want to choose hastily. Will the bipolar design conflict with this if I should choose to add the rear center? I'll be using my speakers mostly for HT(85% of the time).

Also any recommendations as to which brands are the best would be appreciated. Def Tech or PSB are the ones I'm leaning towards right now.

Thanks...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What about 7.1? :D
Note: Bi/dipoles should be mounted just to either side of, and about 2-3 above, the listener for the proper effect.
If you use bi/dipoles for surrounds in a 5.1 setup, there should be no issue with just adding a rear center for 6.1. For 7.1, you could go with two monopoles or two more bi/dipoles.
What are your mains now. I would lean towards speakers that are similar to what you already have.

Matt Daeo

Grip
Upgrading to a 7.1 is always a possiblity. :) But for right now 5.1-6.1 will have to do.
I have Infinity IL40s for my fronts, an Infinity IL36 for my center channel, and A SVS pc+ 20-39 for my sub.
I can't really place my rears any lower than 7-8 feet above me because of wall placement. Would the di/bipoles sound bad at this height? I'm really not sure which speaker type to choose as I don't have a real on hand experience as to what sound better where. Help...

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I have he Definitive Tech. BPX bipoles mounted about 2.5 feet above head level in the back for the rear center and they are fantastic. They present a very large sound stage! After listening to them I will never go Di-pole again! The rear/side surrounds do sound a lot better if placed on the sides. It gives you a much better sound field for 6.1..however in one of our rooms I had to go with all the speakers against the rear wall (Rear R,L and Rear Center) and the BI-pole design of the BPX's helped in this situation,as well! If you can swing it...go with the BPVX...and stay away from the Powered version.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks