What's new

Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I've ordered the Pioneer HTP-710 home-theater-in-a-box system, and I'm trying to figure out where to put the five satellite speakers. The speakers come with keyhole wall mounting brackets built in, but you can only rotate them to the left or right 35 degrees. I was planning on putting the rear L/R surrounds on the back wall in the upper corners, but unless I get separate wall mounts, I won't be able to angle them down. The same goes for the rear center surround speaker, which I was gonna place on the back wall at the same height as the other two rear surrounds. How much of a difference does angling the speakers down toward the listening area make? My only other option would be to mount the speakers closer together and lower on the back wall, directly behind the couch. The rear L/R surrounds would pretty much be aligned with the sides of the couch, with the rear center at the same height aligned with the center of the couch. WOuld having the surrounds closer together ruin the surround effect? Finally, I was planning on putting the front L/R speakers on the wall at the same height as the center speaker, but again, I can't angle them down. Would it work if I put the L/R speakers lower and angled the center speaker down? I can't order extra mounting brackets until I get the system, because I don't know how much the speakers weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
The following link is to the Dolby website which has a lot of good info on HT speaker placement. I've linked you to the speaker section, but there's a lot of other good info on the site, so look around a little while you're there!
Hope this helps!
Dolby Speaker Info

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked at the Dolby site before, but it seems to me that Dolby's speaker placement suggestions are for Dipole surrounds. I say this because I've always seen direct radiating surrounds placed on the back wall. Is this correct, or would any of Dolby's suggestions also work for my direct radiating surrounds?

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
It's really going to depend a lot on the room. The best thing to do is to try different combinations to see which one works best. I've got my surrounds just behind the listening position, facing across at one another. They are direct-radiating.

This set-up seems to work well for me, but it was also dictated by the necessities of the room that I'm using for my HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks