What's new

Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I am setting up my surrounds in a 5.1 config. The couch is up against the back wall. Should I possition the surrounds on each side of the couch and point them at on another? If yes, how high should be?

Thanks Bob

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
There's many variations on surround placement. The Dolby link above is a good starting point. If you go to an actual mixing room you will see surround channel speakers at 90 degrees from center (ie. beside you) and angled towards the listener. But you will also see recommendations for placing the surrounds at 110 degrees, or slightly behind you. Some maintain that 90 degrees is more appropriate for dipoles (placing you in the null), while behind is better for direct radiators. Unfortunately it's somewhat difficult to experiment with locations with surrounds.

For height the typical recommendation is having the tweeters about 3' above the listening position.

On another note, try to avoid having your listening position at a wall if possible. Boundaries are among the worst seating positions as this is where frequencies collide and either reinforce or cancel each other. Room limitations may force you into this position but even a little extra space from the back wall will help. It sounds like you are planning on placing the surrounds at the very back of the room to line up with the couch. In which case another placement recommendation is surrounds at the corners aimed diagonally to their respective opposite corners of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks