What's new

Speaker choice depends on placement options, please help (1 Viewer)

Mike_Dikun

Agent
I will either be purchasing the Axiom M3ti or the M22Ti, but I cannot decide which ones to get due to imperfect speaker placement areas. The problem is the main speakers have to be mounted on top of a 29" shelf. If I go with the M3ti the tweeters from them will be perfectly in line with the VP100 center channel. Still a little high, but acceptable, I think? That would put the center channel and mains at about 40". My listening height could be as low as 30". If I went with the M22ti that would add six inches to the mains and then the mains would be 6 inches higher than the center.
Also height is not the only problem. I also have to place the main speakers directly to the left and right of my 20" tv. My other option is to take the mains out of my shelves and put them in front of the center channel. ie. the back of the mains would be in line with the front of the center channel. This would allow me to separate the speakers from the tv when watching movies but they would be 8.5" closer to me that the center. THis would also allow me to place the speakers at any height.
To be honest, what I want to hear :), is that placing the speakers directly next to the tv will not be a problem sonically(not worried about shielding problems) and that the slightly higher height is not a problem.
If I have to constantly switch speakers from the shelves to stands everytime I want to watch a movie that's going to be a pain in the butt, but I will do it if it will have a great effect on the quality of the sound.
I am interested in gettig the M22ti because of reports that they sound better. However, I will mainly be using this for HT, about a 90/10 mix of HT/Music.
What do you guys think? Any and all opinions are welcome.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It shouldn't be a problem with either placement. Within a foot or so, the mains do not need to be perfectly inline with eachother vertically.

My mains are further in front of my center than what you say you will have, that is what an SPL meter and test tones are for. However, I would say that on either side of a 20" TV, they will certainly not be far enough apart to give good imaging.

For mostly HT, the M3s should be plenty. They are not too sensitive to room placement, at least in my room they didn't seem to be.

Mike_Dikun

Agent
Thank you for your response, how far apart do you think would be optimal? This is pretty much only a 1 person theater :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I suppose what is most commonly recommended is that they be as far apart as you are sitting from them, creating a sort of equilateral triangle. I would say no less than 4ft if you can do that, but 5-6 would be better, but it also depends on your room layout, furniture, etc... I'd say, pretty much just experiment with some different positions until you find what works, without the speakers getting in the way.

I haven't heard the M22s, but I would expect more volume and midrange from them, so they probably will sound a bit better, but I was pretty impressed with the M3s for the price.

Mike_Dikun

Agent
Thank you for your responses. The listening position(my bed) is about 7 feet away from the tv. I can do 5-6 feet apart but that requires taking them out of my bookshelves, putting them on stands for every movie, and they will be in in front of the center speaker. But I dont think that will be a problem either as they will be to the sides and probably end up being the same distance away as the center anyway. Guess I will play with them and see where they sound the best. If it sounds that much better i'll live with transporting the speakers before and after movies.
I still can't decide whether to go M3ti or M22ti.
:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks