What's new

Speaker Cable Fanatics: Post your speaker cables (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Since there are quite a few 12g home depot speaker wire recommendations here I thought that it might be interesting to hear some recommendations for those who wants to spend more for better quality speaker cables.

So ya what are your mid-end to high-end speaker cable recommendations?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am using a 3-meter pair of BetterCables Premium speaker cables with Vampire banana plug terminations with Totem Arros in my main stereo system. They cost $180.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have a hard time hearing any difference between my 12 gauge speaker wire and other wire on my regular speakers, but, unless I'm just imagining it, I did notice better bass definition using Rhino cable to my sub. I wonder if anyone else has had success with Rhino products.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Oh and please state what you think of it. Otherwise how would we know if you are wishing for something better or not?

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
I am using Audioquest Granite and Gibraltar series biwire to all five speakers and did notice a big difference I upgraded from monster cables and the sound stage is much broader the highs and lows are more pronounced and the bass well its awsome. I am not what you would call an audiophile but I do know good sound when I hear it but its hard for me to put it into words. any way this is my take of my upgrade :D PS if I mention the cost it may make you shudder!!

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Regarding the recommendation for 12-gauge Home Depot cable, I have recommended this, but I meant to do so only for those who want to spend, say, $1.50 or less per foot.
I have no experience or knowledge that would allow me to compare ordinary 12-gauge to the more exotic cables.
It would be interesting to learn of some serious tests involving double-blind comparisons with several listeners. I'd love to see the following included in the test:
1. 18 gauge lamp cord.
2. 16- and 12-gauge from Radio Shack and Home Depot.
3. Every speaker cable Monster makes.
4. 5 - 6 "boutique" cables, including the Jon Risch design (http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/).
And, the tests should be for a couple of medium systems and at least one very high end system.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
The reason I started this thread is because I think a lot of us or at least I am interested in getting something better than just your average generic 12g speaker wire. I think most of us don't have trouble figuring out what to buy for the low end but for those of us who wants mid-end to hi-end I think it would be great if we can get some consensus as to 1) What are the absolute best cables 2) What is the best value in terms of something that is near high-end or even high-end but at a midfi type price.

For me I would buy the Ultralink Excelsior Bi-Wires as a low-end value alternative.

But I want something better so I'm looking at the internet based stores as suggested. However it's really hard to figure out which is best as there aren't enough review out there nor are there enough users it seems.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Howard,
Most of the internet based company's have very good return policys. You could buy the cables, see if you like them, and if not, return them. Just a thought. ;)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm using ixos gamma 6003 13ga wire. i have them bi-wired to my mirage frx-7's. i was previously using some plain jane monster 16ga wire. i can't be 100% positive but when i switched to the ixos, the audible hiss from my str-db930 became less audible...that is, it was quite noticeable with the dial set at 3 with the monster but with the ixos, it wasn't that noticeable 'til the dial was set at 5. if you want, accessories4less sells the wire for about $1.55 / ft. it's quite pleasant looking with it's purple braided wires.
kevin t

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Chip E. Returning the cables would be plenty expensive. I don't think I'll get my tax/duties back. And besides it'll probably be an enough of an improvement for me to be happy. The question is whether the money is better spent elsewhere which can only be known if I try out every cable I'm considering which is pretty much impossible so opinions is the only way to go.

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
Well here goe's my L&R fronts are audioquest Granite 8 feet long $383.99 for the set my center is audioquest gibraltar 4 feet long 280.00 for the set my rears 40 feet long monster
cable $500.00 for the set all are biwire,and you may think that was an awful lot to spend on speaker cable but I feel that it was well worth it when I see the difference in proformance that occured from this purchase.:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I use the same wire Kevin T refers to biwire my front & center Klipsch Reference 3 II's.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Do you guys generally try to have the same speaker cables for left, right, and center speaker? Most of us probably will not think much in terms of buying speaker cables for the rears especially the rear centers if you have one. Do most of you spend the money on speaker cables for the center speaker to match your mains or do you generally go one step lower or two for the centers?

Vinny Petronio

Stunt Coordinator
The answer is yes I use the same brand of hi end cables across my fronts and similar to the rears only a little cheaper

DennisZ

Agent
I agree with Vinny. I also have AQ Granites bi-wired for the fronts and AQ type 4 to the surrounds. Better sound stage all around. Upgraded from Tara Labs TFA

Denny

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I recently replaced DH Labs T14 speaker cable with Acoustic Zen Satori in a single-run to the front left/right/center speakers and also replaced the jumpers that came with my speakers with Acoustic Zen wire. Great improvement!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
where's the evidence that there's sonically superior wire to 12 gauge? certainly its not readily forthcoming from the purveyors. lots of wires look better than 12 gauge though and that's another issue.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I use Monster Cable Z2 speaker cables for the L/R/C, and Z1 cable for the surrounds. Cost was free, as I won them at the monstercable contest online!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I'm another Audioquest Granite fan. I'm using Granite for the mains and center and using AQ Type 4 for my four surrounds. Very pleased with it.

where's the evidence that there's sonically superior wire to 12 gauge? certainly its not readily forthcoming from the purveyors.
It's located in the same place that the Outback (for example), will be able to state definitively that their steak will be most pleasing to you and your tastebuds....

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks