What's new

Spartcus: Blood and Sand (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i have had an opportunity to see up to episode 9 and i now know why this series has gotten renewed.

it DEFINITELY continues to get better. at the end of ep 9 i was astonished.

i am not so sure why the first 3 eps were so terrible. given what i am seeing now they needed to be re-shot.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Episode 8 last night was very good stuff. We're starting to get into really gutsy territory. The entire spin in the last 15 minutes was some completely brutal stuff.

This show has consistently improved to the point where it really has a strong hook.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I'm thoroughly enjoying this series, having caught up with it over the weekend! :-D

I'm not sure I agree that the early eps were bad - I think we all needed time to get used to the fact that it's not "Rome", more like x-rated Xena. The budget cannot compare to Rome and the CGI is relatively-dreadful (especially in the pilot), but such things matter not when the story becomes more involving, which it has. The political intrigue is great - and special mention to the bookie-character - Ashur, whom I nickname Garak because he reminds me of the character from DS9! John Hannah and Lucy Lawless are especially well-cast. And tits and over-the-top gore in every episode, not just the "event" episodes. Ha!

I think those of you complaining that the rebellion hasn't happened yet need to get a grip: this is a series, not a mini-series! I'm enjoying the ludus-based episodes, but no doubt the writers will run out of stories eventually (and depending on how well the series is doing) to progress to other settings.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont watch the show. I gave up after a few episodes - just passing on some info I just read.

Andy Whitfield, who plays Spartacus,has been diagnosed with cancer.So its not looking very good for the second season,which I believe already got the green light.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by JonZ

I dont watch the show. I gave up after a few episodes - just passing on some info I just read.

Andy Whitfield, who plays Spartacus,has been diagnosed with cancer.So its not looking very good for the second season,which I believe already got the green light.

Hope he makes a full recovery.
I had read that as well. I think he has non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but I don't recall if it was agressive or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the non-agressive verrsions are highly-treatable, with a very good rate of survival. Not that any cancer is good, but if there's one to get, it's this one.

I hope he makes a full recovery, too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Correct. He has said he plans on continuing production. (Michael C Hall is also diagnosed with same, and Dexter production continues)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Wow that's too bad with the diagnosis, Cancer has become a big part of my Life since my wife was diagnosed with the disease. I am exposed to all forms of it at the treatment center she is going too and all ages of individuals from 16 on up, I cannot believe how many people this disease affects. I wish more money could be spent on fighting this awful disease.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Really good, pretty crazy episode last night. The series started off really "eh" but has really come into it's own as it's went on. Last night's ep had some really good action, and the political intrigue bit was fantastic.. the moment she realized it was Spartacus.. that was some great stuff.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's funny, when I think of an eventual situation, this show takes great pains to show it to me, it almost always goes down that dark path and never bats an eye at using violence to dominate.

Finally caught up with the last 4 episodes, and it's been quite a ride. I posted something on FB that some of the master/slave stuff mirrors today's employer/employee relationships quite well.

Ilithyia's comeuppance was finely choreographed by Lucretia.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I loved how Spartacus tried to strangle that woman once he found out who she was. Crazy scene all around.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yeah...those last moments were pretty intense. From the coupling, to the reveal, to the murder, to Lucretia cleaning up her mess. Even Spartacus keeping his cool with Batiatus. This show has turned out to be more fun than I figured.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
There is just nothing they could do either, pretty helpless. Them going from a play attitude to serious one was sad, I could only imagine what would go through their heads at that moment.

This show is really running on all cylinders.

That new slave girl is very attractive.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I re-watched this again today. That scene, when the kid is obviously duped into making the call is a really harsh one. I think we spent a few episodes getting Spartacus used to his life inside.. and then this episodes shows a stunning contrast of him becoming used to being a champion, developing a friendship with his domini, and then all of the sudden he's reminded of the horror of the situation.

Really, this was a great episode. This series struggled at first, but the payoff to the audience on every episode since about the 3rd one has been really good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show is ridiculously engrossing now, and it's not just the novelty of all the graphic blood splatter, gory fight scenes and sex scenes, it's the building up of characters, and putting them through the wringer following their own individual ambitions and dreams, many times at the expense of others in these Roman times. I had little faith in this show when I first heard about it, but it's been a thrilling ride.

ryan-w

Agent
I couldn't agree more. This show is really hitting it's stride now.....They have really given Spartacus kind of a 'defeated' attitude in regards to being in the ludus now. He seems to really have taken to it and being champion and everything. I think with them making him kill Varro last week, that will all change. Can't wait to see what comes next.

On a side note, how friggin hot is Illythia? I would love to have been Numerius in that bath waiting for her to come on in... Sorry, got a little sidetracked.

Anyways, I really am enjoying the show immensly now.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Illythia is extremely hot...but, she is so GD EVIL!! She needs to die at the point of a very sharp instrument. Going from defeated and broken down to whoring herself out to manipulate the boy just shows how bad she is. I hope Batiatus and Spartacus find out she was behind this...but, Batiatus is so enraged at Selonius and the Magistrate I think he'll be blind to it.

ryan-w

Agent
I definitely agree with everything there. It is such a waste to have her gone though....I'm sure it will come up at some point in the future though. When is Glaba going to show up again??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks