What's new

Spartcus: Blood and Sand (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dave, Hope your wife makes a full recovery.

I watched the last 3 episodes out of boredom and actually enjoyed them (ok,to be honest I was flipping through the channels, saw a bunch of women lined up topless and stopped to check it out).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This episode, at almost every turn, was some great stuff. But this scene sticks with me afterward, because it's so damn cold (StarZ puts clips up on Youtube so here's what I'm talking about)

That and Spartacus putting on a wheelhouse freaking demonstration.. Jeez! :)

ryan-w

Agent
That was a great episode, it really had it all. The action was good in the arena with Spartacus toying with Selonius to Ashur toying with Crixus (I forgot that he saw he and Navia having sex a few show back), he is quite a good villian. I wonder what Crixus is going to do with him when the 'escape' happens. I like where they are going with Crixus now as before I thought there was no way they could get him to chance an escape but now he has lost his love, his champion title, and got his back slashed with the whip. He should be itching for some payback to dominus.....I also thought the storyline with Glaba and Batiatus was good culminating with Ilithiya getting a backhand to keep her in place. I can't say enough about that one, I hope the finally is equally as good.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Just amazing how this show has really grown into a complex, intelligent, and utterly enjoyable ride!

Slapping down Ilythia was pure AWESOMENESS!

And, lookee where we are - all set up to fuel a slave revolt with Doctore, Spartacus, and Crixus as the generals of the slave army! My only curiousity is what about Marcus Licinius Crassus? We've heard his name with his cousin, and clearly Glaba is pledged to him. He's the ultimate baddy in the movie and in history. The man who brings Spartacus down. Who will play him and when will we be introduced?

ryan-w

Agent
I was thinking the same thing when I wrote my stuff too, but I figured everyone had an idea of the story in here....So, I apologize if I spoiled anything for anyone.

With that said, Quentin....I was thinking the same thing about Crassus too. Historically, I believe he actually came to Batiatus's house and witnessed a fight between gladiator's there and I figured he would show up looking for Lincinia at some point but who knows. It's also good to see that people get it right with him bringing down Spartacus as many actually give the credit to Pompeii (who got to have a triumph afterwards too). I hate that he is given any credit at all since he really just did a little clean up job after the majority of the slave army was defeated by Crassus. Anyways, that isn't spoling anything for anyone just some semantics of the general story.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was just kidding. I'm not that familiar with the story, but that is my fault and no one can expect to have to keep history in spoiler tags. "I'm going to watch Apollo 13." "They make it home." "DADBURNIT!"

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
LOL on Apollo 13. NOOOOOOOOOO!! :D
Ryan - Pompey took credit for everything Crassus did! That's why Crassus hated him. They both die fitting deaths regardless. And, you can see Pompey's end in the awesome show Rome!

As for Crassus ever going to Batitatus' ludus...I think that's straight from the movie with little historical evidence. It's still fun, and well played by Olivier!

ryan-w

Agent
That is good stuff on Apollo 13....LOL!

Quentin, yes Pompey (you'd think I would spell his name right, huh?) did that a lot, not only to Crassus but when he was younger too when he was working with Sulla. I agree that the show Rome did a good job with his death showing that in the end he was really just a coward hence the running from battle against Caesar and to Egypt....And of course, Crassus not ever getting credit for anything by hisself decides to take on Parthia to get some recognition....Obviously, not the best idea.

As for him going to Batiatus's house, I thought I'd seen it in more than a few representations of the story but you're right, there isn't any concrete evidence as to it happening. So, I guess the finale doesn't have a whole lot to tie up other than Spartacus talking Crixus (and possibly Doctore) to side with him on the revolt....It's obvious, those 2 brothers would be with him and I'm sure he wouldn't pass up a chance to take Mirra with him as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Chicago Tribune RAVES about the season finale:

To give away even a scrap of what happens to the gladiator Spartacus (Andy Whitfield) and his wealthy owners, Batiatus (John Hannah) and Lucretia (Lucy Lawless) would be to ruin the finale's well-designed twists and turns. Suffice to say it left a lasting impression and will no doubt remain one of my favorite TV episodes of the year.

For those who dismissed the show as a sex-obsessed "300" ripoff, think again. "Spartacus" turned out to be so much more than that, especially when it kicked into high gear midway through Season 1. Over the course of 13 hours, and especially in several well-paced recent episodes, this swords-and-togas saga became downright addictive, in part due to its distinctive dialogue, which mixes Shakespearean flourishes with "Sopranos"-esque profanity.
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/04/spartacus-blood-sand-starz.html

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That... Was.. AWESOME. Anytime a TV show makes me clap from my couch, something right has happened. This absolutely kept me pumped! The entire second half was some great adreniline moments. Talk about a break all the rules of what you had to expect out of a finale! I had NEVER expected that to happen, NEVER expected that to happen.
I mean, I knew the history, but I figured we'd have a while and things would drag out, but jesus, that was a brave as all freaking getout finale. I will rewatch tomorrow, hell, I was planning to go out and see "Kick Ass" after this, but I'm about zonked out for action..

Just Holy Crap, I CANNOT BELIEVE

BAITUS IS DEAD! Lucretia is DEAD (or damn close!) EVERY FREAKING ROMAN IS DEAD! And before I see the responses that say "well, it had to happen..." let me say there are a whole lot of shows who would never do this, they would drag this out a lot longer rather then throw those kind of characters/actors to their deaths in a season 1! There is basically no one safe in this show. I kept thinking they'd go true fiction, Biatus would escape, or that Crixus would die, or that something else would occur to stall the rebelling until at least mid season 2. But the last few episodes of this series were as good as it gets. Nothing on TV has had the action that this show has the last five episodes.

Just HOLY CRAP! That was the best hour of TV I've seen this year.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler
No Preview Spoiler

Yeah. I figured things would be stretched out as well. Nope. Status quo fucking obliterated. I'm going to miss the hell out of John Hannah, though. I would have felt a little sorry for Numerius since he was basically led to his decision, but when he started spouting off about Varro? Die, MF. Yeah, just like that!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Had to watch it again this morning. That scene, in the arena.. the Moment Crixus provides his shield.. even seeing it the second time, you just about feel like you're going to bust out of your chair with a "hell yeah!" That is a great, great moment. That moment, and the moment where they come bolting into the bath...

I am just stunned at how bold this season finale is, and how different this show could become. You talk about taking major chance? Jeez!! I eagerly await the blueray now!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The excessive digital blood in this was annoying to me, but if you can get beyond that, It actually became quite a good program.

In 13 episodes we see quite a voyage for the main character. Crixus and Doctore are quite worthy as well.

Anyway, hope this show makes it to blu...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And despite Rumors floating, Mo Tancharoen has confirmed S2 is -not- put aside, and they are working on it, it may be done differently to get around his schedule.

http://twitter.com/MoTancharoen

Maureen Ryan posts her (very positive) thoughts here:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/04/spartacus-blood-sand.html

I said this in another thread, sine I watched Kick-Ass today (was looking forward to it) .. but the action sequence in the finale last night here trumpcards that many fold. I need to get a background of Spartacus rising up to the balcony, because that WAS kick-ass.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They immediately killed the guard nearest to them and unlocked themselves. Spartacus made sure a sword was right there for the brothers to get right away. They made a good point to detail that. Since they were held in by one long chain that hooped them all, once it was undone, that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks