What's new

Souvlaki PItas (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I just recently discovered I have a huge taste for souvlaki Pitas. NOw it just hit me instead of buying I could probably make them! Now my only limitation is I dont have access to a BBQ. Now I take it I need Souvlaki, Tomatos, Onions, and pitas. Now what do you guys use to make Taziki sauce? What else should I do. Thank you very much guys.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Bear in mind that i'm not Greek:

Souvlaki

For every pound of pork (cubed shoulder or butt), use:

1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. MSG (Accent) Can be omitted.
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic (not salt or powder)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
Lots of fresh lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and marinate meat overnight or longer. Skewer and grill over charcoal. Then serve in a warm pita with tzatziki, tomatoes and onions.

NOTE: The use of granulated garlic and plenty of lemon juice are the secrets of making a flavorful souvlaki.

Tzatziki

Ingredients
1 container (16 ounces) plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, not peeled, seeded and finely chopped plus a few thin slices
1/1-2 teaspoons salt
1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or dill plus additional sprigs
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Instructions
Spoon yogurt into sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter set over bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight. Transfer drained yogurt to medium bowl and discard liquid.

Meanwhile, in colander set over bowl, toss chopped cucumber with 1 teaspoon salt. Let drain at least 1 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. In batches, wrap chopped cucumber in kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. Pat dry with paper towels, then add to bowl with yogurt.

With flat side of chef's knife, mash garlic to a paste with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add garlic, chopped mint, oil, vinegar, and pepper to yogurt and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 or up to 4 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature, topped with cucumber slices and mint sprigs.

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

To get rid of the pulpy center of the cucumber. You want to remove as much of the moisture of the cucumber as possible. Also, you don't need to use english cucumbers.

One thing about Greek recipes is that there really is no one way to do things. My mother, who is Greek, was following a recipe in a Greek cookbook that had her using "some olive oil" and to "add water" without specifying amounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks