What's new

Southern Ontario - Kitchener, London, Brampton Etc. Meets (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
It looks like he may to busy to respond.
Every few monthes I'll email him with a "just curious" thing going on and I don't get a reply.
I may stop by, or send a latter to somebody a little higher up.
The wierd thing I find is that his bosses, the owners, siad it seemed like a great idea:frowning:
Brent
Maybe he's not with the company anymore, I'll check the website.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Just a quick note that I received my HDTV terminal today from Rogers. It just came on the market in my neighborhood so I am very excited. SuperBowl party!

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Just to summarize for the Kitchener hosted HTF Meet...
Those that confirmed for a meet on Feb 1
Massimo (Me :) )
Robin
Norm
Wayne (?)
Brent (?)
As far as agenda lets keep it open for now. Very general ...
meet my place in the AM, head out for a bite to eat (Montana's is pretty close ... then again everything is easy to get to in town). Robin's in the afternoon or vise a versa?.
Let's hope the weather is not as brutal as it is today :frowning:
Robin, I hope Rogers gave you the 3100HD (not the 2100HD). They finally added a new HD channel CITY TV :) I have yet to see any HD content ... all upconvereted 480i.
Cheers!
Mass

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Sounds good. Would like to add a fellow enthusiast to the Proceedings. My brother - in - law Leigh. He lives 400 meters up the road from me.

Mass' in the AM and we can grab a bite.
Whats the story with the 2100HD? I am at work and am not sure which model I have.

Rob

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Robin, the 2100HD (the 2XXX series) had a few bugs. Rogers originally gave me the 2100HD and I asked for a change. I was one of the first HD customers in Kitcher. From what I remember here were the big issues:
- frequent audio dropouts (still happens with 3100)
- 1080i image not centered correctly.
- Red push (3100 still has red push)
- the 2100HD I had froze quite often
- SLOW Tuner
- The comb filter in both units is TERRIBLE. Don't use S-VID, you'll get a much better picture using composite.
That's all I can remember. I don't know if you noticed, but they added CITY HD :D I haven't seen any HD programming yet, it's all City's 480i upconverted, but it's a good sign.
Cheers!
Mass

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Yes I noticed on CITY that it is all upconverted stuff. Much better than regular channel 7 but would benefit from some high def programming (isn't smallville in high def?)
I heard that Mission Impossible II was the only thing broadcast in high def so far.
I hooked up with the composite cables that came with the unit as I have been to lazy to get down to the shop to pick up some new ones. I have noticed some audio drop outs but very minor ones. Thanks for the heads up, will check it when I get home tonight.

Rob

Leigh Joel

Auditioning
Hey All,

I would be interested in a Home Theatre meet. Since I only live "400 metres" down the street, it is very convenient. I will keep watching and enjoying.

leigh

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey Leigh

Mass, it is the 3100 HD. Phew.

The only thing about my HT room will be light. I have not been able to get a covering for a palladium window. Still not that big of an issue.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I've got a little bad news about Wayne. He went skiing last Tuesday and broke his collarbone. I don't think he can join us for the meet, but I will talk to him to confirm.

Also, shall I bring my Sony HS10? If anyone is interested in buying one, this might be a good chance to check it out. But it's your call.

Norm

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I'll send out e-mails to everyone in the next couple of days giving directions.
A quick agenda for Saturday. We normally never follow a firm agenda, but here a start.
Meet at my place at 10:00am
Introductions
Demo HT
Lunch at Montanas (TBD)
Back to my place
Demo Norms Projector (I'm really interested in this :D )
Head over to Robins
Watch Movie
Other ideas if anyone is interested, I can go though some basic (or advanced) video calibration techniques. I have tweaked my Toshiba 57HX81 quite a bit so if anyone wants to learn how some of the tweaks are done, I can over some of them.
Please feel free to change the agenda or add to it.
Cheers!
Mass

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey Mass that sounds perfect, Leigh and I both have the same tv so getting some ideas on it would be amazing. I am really interested in seeing Norm's projector as well ;)

Leigh Joel

Auditioning
Sounds good to me to. I had Steve's in today, and of course, the tech couldn't see anything wrong. I would be most interested in some tweaks on the tele.:D

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I've sent out e-mails with directions out to everyone. If you didn't get one, please post again and I'll send you one. It's a blanket e-mail, so the directions are from the furthest point out (Toronto).

Leigh, if you are having a flickering problem, I know what you're going through. It was a pain trying to duplicate the problem to the service guy. I couldn't consistently duplicate the problem 100% of the time. We can talk more on Saturday. Steves was great though. They were really patient with me and in the end I have a working set.

If we don't have time for all the tweaking, we're probably not too far away, so we can set aside another day.

Cheers!
Mass

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
I got your directions Massimo, but I'll have to check my map to see how to get there from Orangeville.
Wayne is not going to be able to make it.
I'll bring my Sony HS10. It's not much of a problem since it's still in the box. I'd rather it be up on my ceiling, but the rooms not ready to go yet. :frowning:
See you guys Saturday.
Norm

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Hey guys!
Just stumbled across this thread! :)
I lived in Kitchener for 3 years while attending school at Conestoga College. It's too bad I missed this meet but would certainly be interested in any future ones you guys are thinking of.
I'm back in Goderich for now but may be moving to Toronto in the spring/summer.
How did things go on Saturday?
Take care!

Robin Warren

Second Unit
It went great. We hung out at Mass' place all day and shot the crap. Great setup Mass and thanks again. Let me know what you think of The Ring and The Eye.

I was nervous when I first got there due to the violent shaking of Mass' place. I had never experienced SVS before.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx again for all that show up.
Norm, thanx for hauling the projector over (Sony HS10). You definitely gave me the upgrade bug ... mmmmm projector
After everyone left, I realized that my set-up's calibration was not set-up correctly. The power outage we had the night before erased all my settings ... the subs were at 8 below reference
Robin, thanx for loning me the eye and ring. I won't get a chance to see them until this weekend (I hope that's o.k.).
Cheers!
Mass

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks