Southern Ontario - Kitchener, London, Brampton Etc. Meets

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Robin Warren, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Is anyone interested in some movie nights in the Kitchener - Cambridge - Guelph - Milton - London area? If so respond here and lets set some up. I was hoping to host here in Kitchener in the new year.

2. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Another Kitchener HTF member! I am interested in a HTF-GTA meet (dependent on date of course) … if we can hold it in Kitchener all the better [​IMG]
    I was thinking it’s been a while since the last GTA-HTF meet, and was also thinking about setting one up. I recently moved into a house and have a dedicated home theatre room, but it only officially seats 3 (3 theater chairs), but the room can host about 6. I have a modest setup (Paradigm Reference/SVS SUB/DIY SUB/Anthem Amp/Toshiba HD-RPTV) if anyone is interested in a demo. Not quite reference bass, only about 115dB @ 20hz [​IMG]. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, I’ll receive an upgrade for one of my subs that’ll give me a few more dB. Depending how close we are, and how many people attend, we can possibly hold the meet at 2 locations (if anyone is interested).
    Normally it takes a while for everyone to visit this section. If we don’t get a lot of responses, we should send out an e-mail to members that showed interest during our last meet to get the word out.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey' sounds like a plan! Another gathering is always a lot of fun.
    Just like you Massimo to play down your stuff. It's like saying "I have a modest car, it's a Bentley Turbo R"[​IMG]
    Hey, if you're uprading your SVS how much would you want for the SVS??
    Brent

4. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Well Massimo sounds great. Your *modest* system certainly sounds like a blast. I am available anytime for a demo of that sweet setup. My wife and I are in a three bedroom home and we have a Tosh 57HDX82 and Paradigm/Yammy setup. Sub is a little weak compared to yours....

I am in the Ottawa Street Fischer Hallman area.

I am willing to travel to the GTA as well so...keep me informed.

5. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Well,
    as long as I don;t have to drive I guess I'm in...

Mass how is the new house coming along?

Miles

6. Massimo N

Sorry for hijacking your thread Robin I didn’t mean to … I just though of a Kitchener HT tour would be kind of fun as an event, similar to the GTA-HTF meet we had in Orangeville. Robin we may actually be neighbours and not even know it [​IMG] I’m in the new development a side road off of Activa (Ottawa/Fisher Hallman Area too). I was thinking morning one place … afternoon another.
    Brent, I’m actually still keeping my SVS. I can’t say more right now until an official announcement ... I’ve said too much already [​IMG] I wish I could say I am the proud new Canadian beta-tester of the new SVS B4-Plus but my 6/49 numbers haven’t come up yet.
    Miles, the house was finished on time with very minor things unfinished. Very happy with the house so far. I already had the “HT” talk with my neighbours so they understand where this noise is coming from. It’s a detached house, but you can hear the theatre outside. The only down side is the room needs a lot of power to fill the room to reach reference. Naturally, I “needed” to add a few components for the theatre to sound right [​IMG].
    Miles, you should be all moved in … unless you got another delay [​IMG]
    Lets wait a while for more people to respond to the thread … Should we shoot for a January or February meet?
    Mass

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Mass,
    we finally got in at the End of September. Still trying to settle in...(lots of stuff still in boxes [​IMG] )coming up on our 90 day list to fix things. On the whole we are happy... and you can hear our HT outside too... haven't had that talk with anyone yet.
    Miles
    I would opt for the spring even.

8. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Yes I am right off of Activa as well. We ARE neighbors [​IMG]. We just moved in in August and everything went great. February meet or late January is cool with me. And you hardly hijacked me thread, my whole purpose was to meet some local guys who share same interests as me. So [​IMG]

9. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys, long time no see. [​IMG]
    I'm always up for a meet. Overtime is starting up in February so it might be tough but not impossible.
    Both Wayne and I have been doing some upgrading since the last meet. I'm a few days away from begining my theater in the basement.
    I have picked up these components:
    PSB Stratus Silver fronts and center
    PSB Subsonic 6 subwoofer
    PSB Image 10S bipoles surrounds
    NAD Electronics T762 receiver
    Coming soon: Sony VPL-HS10 LCD front projector
    I'm looking forward to getting this stuff put together and watching movies. It's going to be sweet.
    Wayne has bought a new receiver, the Yamaha RX-V2300, plus has replaced his Klipsh with Monitor Audio fronts and PSB 9c center. You'll have to ask him for more details.
    I'd love to host another HTF meet, but it'll probably have to wait for September or October as both Wayne and I will be very busy with work.
    But for now, Kitchener is not too far from Orangeville, so I'm game to visit.
    Norm

10. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Great Norm, sounds like a sweet setup!

11. Norm Lalonde

Thanks Robin, I'm anxious to put it all together. If everything goes well, I'm hoping to be mostly done by the end of next week.

Norm

12. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Well Howdy people!!
    I've had to fry my computer recently because it refused to log me in to HTF anymore. ( I have a feeling my wife had something to do with it [​IMG] )
    Now that I am up and running I'm trying to catch up on things.
    I replaced my Klispch fronts with Monitor AUdio silvers and wow do I love them!!!
    I'm in the same boat as norm as far as OT in Feb. Figure it out we're laid off for 3 weeks then when we go back it'l be to serious overtime[​IMG]
    Let us know when and where!!

13. Norm Lalonde

Well, I pickup my Sony HS10 yesterday. Got it for an excellent price. Now I just need NAD Electronics to ship my receiver to the dealer and I'll be all set.
    On to the meet. Robin, Massimo, I believe the ball is in your court. [​IMG]
    Norm

14. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Well guys I am extremely free with my weekends so put in your dates that we like and let's see how it lands?

January 18 - 19
    January 25 - 26
    February 1 - 2
    February 8 - 9
    February 15 - 16
    February 22 - 23

Vote here. I figure I am good to go to Orangeville as it sounds like some sweet setups. Maybe Massimo's and then road trip!!!!!!!!!

Lets hear some ideas.

15. Massimo N

I’d rather have the meet on the Saturday. The only weekend I have a commitment right now is the Feb 15-16th. I’d rather meet sooner than later … How’s either February 1st or 8th?
    I can't accomodate too large of a group. A max of 6 people (3 people get chairs ... I only have 1 row of seating). I'll can probably put in a second row of seating (I have high - cafe style chairs I can pull from the Kitchen - not very comfortable, but they'll do the job), otherwise it's front row seats on the floor [​IMG]
    Robin, were you inferring road trip to mean to your house? I think that would be a great idea. BTW, How many people can your HT room host comfortably?
    Cheers!
    Mass

16. Norm Lalonde

I am not, I repeat, not set up for a meet yet. My room has not even been built. I plan on getting the room built in the next two months or so. (The sooner the better though. [​IMG] )
    If you guys are up to it, visiting both houses would be cool.
    For me, I like February 1st. But I can probably make it on the 8th as well.
    Norm

17. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Well I thought road trip to Norm's would be cool but looks like that will have to wait until the summer.

I can hold around 5 people comfortably.
    February 1st is perfect for me.

18. Walter Feddern

Walter Feddern Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. Not sure if I will be able to make a meet in the near future, but am looking for a house now in Cambridge, so will hopefully be able to join in or even host something then. (then being around June which we are looking at to move).
    Till then I am tied up with house searching, and spend most weekends in Toronto (with girlfriend), or in Cambridge looking at houses, so can't really commit to attending a meet ahead of time.
    Maybe I should be looking near Activa in Kitchener, seems to be the in place for home theaters [​IMG] What are the house prices like in that area? are they new?
    Walter.

19. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Norm: If you had us over for a meet we could finish your room in an afternoon[​IMG]
    You supply the BEER[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brent
    As Ron P would say CHEERS[​IMG]

20. Norm Lalonde

That would be cool Brent, but I don't think the paint would dry fast enough. [​IMG]
    But supplying the beer would not be a problem. [​IMG]
    Brent, what ever happened to that Paradigm tour we were supposed to take??
    Norm