What's new

South Park 12/10/03 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
This was one of the funniest episodes I have ever seen.

The premise was Wendy breaking up with Stan and Stan trying to deal with the breakup. Also the subplot of Butter's falling for a waitress at a "Hooters" type of restaurant named "Raisins" and all the waitresses are 8 year old girls.

The scene that had me on the floor was when Stan tried to get Kyle to ask Wendy why she broke up with him. Kyle asked her and gave him a non answer. Stan was not happy with the answer and then got Jimmy to ask then tell Wendy that "Your a continuing inspiration". Now those who did not see the show last night, imagine someone with a stutter problem trying to say that line. Tears were running down my eyes. I had to pause the live show just to recompose myself.

I believe next week is the last new show of the season.

Paul

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
The ending had me rolling..

"And Token.. right here buddy!"

Stan as a goth boy was interestingly done. I'll admit, I only caught the last half, but only playing the Jimmy..

Your a cont...cont..your a cont..inuous inspiration, in my head has me laughing. I can only imaging Wendy's response.
I'll have to catch the re-run if they show it.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Indeed an excellent show last night, had me laughing my ass off as well.

And the Goth kids bitching about conformity, and saying to Stan that to be Goth he has to conform to "their" standards! I was on the floor laughing so hard.

Great show!

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
"But Butters, you've just been dumped are you said and want to come join our group?"

"No, I'd rather be a pussy cry baby and get made fun for that than to be some faggy goth kid. See ya!"

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I want one of those T-shirts Stan was wearing during his goth phase, a bust of Edgar Allan Poe with the caption "Nevermore". Very cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
They pretty much nailed Hooters waitresses, not that I eat there or anything. :wink:

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
That one cracked me up. In the 80's my brother was a punk and had some of the same beliefs as those goths. Basically you had to non-conform his way or you were a conformist. That just made me laugh so much.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I missed the first few minutes, but what I saw was very good. I loved that all the Raisins' girls had car names (Lexus, Mercedes, Porsche)

I actually thought that was one of the weaker parts; I've seen the same thing done so many times its cliche now.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
but when jimmy was talking to wendy: "you're a cont..................stan says you're a cont..........a cont.........continuing source of inspiration" was hysterically funny. i can't believe they got away with it.

and i loved the goth kid constantly flipping the hair out of his eyes.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
"No, I'd rather be a pussy cry baby and get made fun for that than to be some faggy goth kid. See ya!"

I've only laughed harder a few times in my life then at this line.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think that "Shock The Monkey" would've worked better in Say Anything
I wish they would have carried that joke a little bit farther though by having Stan use one of Gabriel's "out there" songs like something from the middle section of "Supper's Ready" or pretty much anything off the the second half of "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" or some of his ecclectic recent material. Otherwise great show

RobertW

Supporting Actor
yeah, but it had to berecognizable to the vast audience as a peter gabriel song for the joke to work. not too many would recognize The Cage right off.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
But I think that is exactly what would make the joke work. The people would know it was Peter Gabriel, as Bebe set it up immediately before, but the song would sound completely strange to people who are not totally familiar with his work when we're obviously expecting "In Your Eyes" It's not of great importance, just my armchair writing.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Please don't take this as a racist comment - I'm simply posing a question regarding the possible motives behind this particular scene...

Do you think the song was particularly notable given its title and the fact that Token was the one with Wendy? I realize Stan would not have intended that in the context of the show since he wasn't aware that someone was in her room, but do you think Trey and Matt would go that far? Just curious what everyone else thinks.

Funny-ass episode, by the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think Shock the Monkey was chosen both because it was a minor hit and because it's just a funny sounding song- very New Wavy and completely inappropriate for the situation.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Do you think the song was particularly notable given its title and the fact that Token was the one with Wendy?
I suppose it could be possible. It's not like there has not been tons of racial humor on the show before. And there is definately some in the movie as well. It's probably not though, as using the word "Monkey" as a racial slur is a bit harsh.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I thought about the racial issue also in regards in Token/Shock the Monkey.

I believe they put it in on purpose because of Token being in the room, but for comedic purposes. Its funny just having the Peter Gabriel song, that isn't In Your Eyes or Red Rain then once Token comes into the picture it just adds one more level to the scene. My reaction was "Oh My God, they just didn't do that"

South Park has a long history of poking fun at racial issues and I don't believe there is anything further behind this scene then the show making fun of a stereotype.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks