What's new

South Park 10/22/03 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The term "metrosexual" has been around since the early 90s. I believe it was coined by a Brit journalist around that time.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That ESPN quiz is classic. I only scored a 1 on the test, so I don't have to worry about my metrosexuality :)

My favorite question was:

Q: Best way to spend a Friday night?

A: Dinner at T.G.I.Friday's and ninth viewing of Lord of the Rings

Now that's my kind of Friday! :D

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
The source of metrosexuality you ask? I believe this is the first documented use of the word:

"The promotion of metrosexuality was left to the men's style press, magazines such as The Face, GQ, Esquire, Arena and FHM, the new media which took off in the Eighties and is still growing (GQ gains 10,000 new readers every month). They filled their magazines with images of narcissistic young men sporting fashionable clothes and accessories. And they persuaded other young men to study them with a mixture of envy and desire.

Some people said unkind things. American GQ, for example, was popularly dubbed ''Gay Quarterly''. Little wonder that all these magazines — with the possible exception of The Face — address their metrosexual readership as if none of them were homosexual or even bisexual."
—Mark Simpson, "Here come the mirror men," The Independent, November 15, 1994

Here is the current working defintion:
"The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference. Particular professions, such as modeling, waiting tables, media, pop music and, nowadays, sport, seem to attract them but, truth be told, like male vanity products and herpes, they're pretty much everywhere."
—Mark Simpson, "Meet the metrosexual," Salon.com July 22, 2002

And my only problem with Queer Eye is that their level of gayness is rather muted. If you're going to call a show "Queer Eye", then let's five real flamers. That's my only complaint. (Of course, if my gay friends renovated an apartment for a straight guy, it would be more like an episode of Fear Factor!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks