What's new

Sources for reproduction modern furniture (Eames, Le Corbusier and others)? (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
Have you seen the Rombo anywhere else before? I can't find it anywhere on the Internet except at that one retailer! Also, do you have any pics of the Pulirmo?

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I've never seen the Rombo table before, but that site does have some really cool expandable glass tables!
I actually had the name wrong, it's Plurimo. I have not been able to find that many pictures online, but here are a few:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
The pictures really don't do it justice, it comes in so many finishes. And they don't have a photo up of the coolest part:
One section you can get fits in a corner and when you open the doors it makes a walk-in closet! Honestly, it's one of the coolest things I've seen in home furnishing in quite a while. It is totally worth the $7000, but alas I do not have $7000 to spend!

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Max,
Very nice! It reminds me of the designs ofLink Removed . I am not sure of the prices but I can imagine they would be similar to the price of the Plurimo.
Ray

jeff_croft

Auditioning
Hello all...I'm ressurecting this thread!
As a poor little web guy, even many of the prices at DWR are out of my range. While I love the classic designer stuff, I'd be happy with similarly-styled pieces at even lower costs. Does anyone know where I might find this kind of thing?
I recently found http://www.eurway.com, and I think they have some nice pieces at good prices. Anyone know of similar types of sources online?
Thanks!
Jeff

Pascal A

Second Unit
Jeff - Not sure where you're hailing from, but Nuovo Melodrom on Mercer in Soho is great fun. They have a website with their prices listed, but delivery is separate from their site prices and arranged by third-party: Link Removed. Their warehouse is in Newark, NJ, and you can also pick up your merchandise from there or in the store.
Seriously though, you may just want to consider getting a few pieces at year from established manufacturers; you'll probably be happier in the long run (I just ordered a Maxalto Apta sideboard last month, and that's it for the year :D ).

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Pascal,

Thanks for the tip on Nuovo Melodrom! I went there this weekend and picked up two Barcelona chairs and a Nelson bench for a song! The quality was really nice, you can be sure that I inspected very carefully once I picked my jaw up after seeing the prices.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
A friend of mine who is seriously into this stuff told me that someone has bought the rights to the Heywood Wakefield name and designs (after finding out that the rights had languished in obscurity after their bankruptcy) and will be reproducing some of the better pieces. No word yet on if they've figured out how to replicate the finish. Every restoration I've seen has gotten it wrong and the finish looks flat and more "matte" than that amber, almost translucent finish of the original pieces.

Pascal A

Second Unit
You're certainly welcome, Max! :D Nuovo Melodrom was an old haunt of mine when I still lived in New York, and even when I moved, I made sure that they can arrange delivery. ;)
I haven't been to the Newark warehouse either, but a lot of their furniture is surprisingly in stock in Soho (especially chairs). I ordered the Barcelona daybed earlier this year (at the store) and they arranged for delivery to Maryland via Ukay Freight, which added about $300 to the cost.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Hmmm...anyone know what NJ sales tax is? It could be a large savings over the NY store.

Pascal: Did they charge you sales tax on your MD shipment? Thanks.

Pascal A

Second Unit
No they didn't charge tax. At the store, since I already told them that I was interested in delivery, they took down my shipping information to Maryland, and then manually deducted the sales tax. My purchase was a special order and it was coming in through the Newark warehouse (their port of entry, I guess), so that's how the NJ option came about. Your best bet is to call the Nuovo Melodrom guys (their website is buggy on correspondence) and discuss your options. There's also a lady who works weekdays (9:00-5:00) who is their shipping coordinator, and she can probably give you a decent estimate on the shipping costs.

By the way, NJ sales tax is 6%.

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
Nice to see this thread resurface. Its a funny little coincidence that I saw this thread today, the same day that I received delivery of a Mies Barcelona chair and Eileen Gray side table from steelform. I have sat in original Barcelona Chairs in the Mies Van der Rohe building on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago and I must say that the quality is pretty close. It took five weeks for delivery, not bad considering they ship from Italy.
Ray

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Wonderful, wonderful thread - one of the very few that I've saved. I was more than pleasantly surprised to see the names, my favorite architects, van der Rohe and Corbusier, in the After Hours forum. I'm continually impressed by the diversity and comprehensiveness of interests that some members possess. Many thanks to Max Knight and Don Black for the abundance of information.
On to the furniture...freak coincidence - while reading this thread for the very first time, I'm sifting through my mail. Lo and behold, I come across a Design Within Reach catalog. I had received these before, but never peeked inside (catalog overdose) until now. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff, but unfortunately, it's still mostly design beyond reach (pricewise). But as a gaze lovingly on a few items, I'm thinking...
Anyway, I can vouch for Room and Board. Their home base is here in the Twin Cities. I've purchased a few items and love the build quality. However, they're not too much lower in price category compared to DWR. They also have a factory / outlet store here in one of the Twin Cities suburbs (Golden Valley?) - most of the stuff is marred, from slight to egregious, but I've been able to find relatively intact stuff for a steal.
Does anyone have any experience with Ligne Roset? Their website is the following:
Ligne Roset
From what I can tell, I don't believe they deal with reproductions of the modern masters. Instead, they feature new designs by contemporary designers. I really like some of their sofas/sofa beds and beds, but I'd like to hear some first hand testimonials on build quality. I'm not sure about pricing, but I think it's in a category a hair lower than DWR.
Please check it out and let me know what you think.
Again, great thread.

Pascal A

Second Unit
The only Ligne Roset piece that I have is a Dolce Vita chaise longue that I purchased about 3 years ago now. The scale is a little larger (and much more curvy) than my B&B Italia Charles sofa (which has very clean lines), so it had an unintentional "statement chair" effect.
The workmanship is comparable to B&B, so you won't be disappointed. Unfortunately, I seem to have selected the wrong fabric (a dark brown wool/linen blend), and it seems to need professional upholstery cleaning every 6 months whether or not I sit in it. :angry: I definitely suggest that you see the furniture in the showroom if possible, to see if the scale is right for you.
My sister has bought some cabinets from Room and Board and they do look great, but the shipping and delivery can really kill you if you're not careful. They tack on extra charges for stairs.
By the way, for Herman Miller stuff, I usually shop Circa 50.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
If it helps, I believe that Spacify uses, for at least one of their manufacturers, an Italien manufacturer called Tavolino Con Cristallo.

...and an Italien shipping company called Delli Transporti. The label reads:

Savino Del Bene SPA (Livo

via Delle Cateratte, 118

Livorno - LI

N.SPED.EM/242400

Mitt.B.R.F. SRL

RIf.Mitt. SERENA

Maybe this can help us trace the manufacturers for quality/cost analysis...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks