What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sour Grapes - Larry David's film (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Has anyone seen this film? I had heard of it but never had the chance to see it. Hell, at work (Best Buy) we keep it in the $5 bin. It's not even widescreen. I just moved into an apartment and I decided to try digital cable. Sour Grapes came on The Movie Channel or some other channel I never subscribed to and I saw it.

It's hilarious! I could see why critics eviscerated it. Ebert gave it zero stars. That's right. Zero. You have to be somewhat warped - and I say that with all due respect - to appreciate the humor. I know many people on this forum like Seinfeld and/or Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'd say give this a try.

Also, the soundtrack is all classical with the exception of one Dean Martin tune. As a classical fan, I loved it.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I actually saw this multiple times at the theatre, mostly because I worked there :b but I still thought it was great. At the time I could pick out every 'seinfeld' character in the movie.

Very underrated movie in my opinion and I would buy it if it was OAR.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I felt it was trying too hard to be like "Seinfeld", combined with the so-so humor and actors, and way overused Rossini overtures, made it out to be a cheap Seinfeld knock-off.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
You can never overuse Rossini.:) I could spot the Seinfeld characters, too. I should ask about a SE at the next WB chat.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Whenever someone uses a Rossini overture in a film, to me, it comes across meainging that they cared little about the music. I have this image of when a director wants to use classical music, they ask the studio what recordings they have the rights to, and the studio gives them a CD containing: Il barbiere di Siviglia and La gazza ladra overtures, Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Walkurenritt (act 3, scene 1), Toccata & Fugue in D major BWV 565, and excerpts from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The director then simply picks the tracks that best suit the scene(s) in his film.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
What would this SE include? Besides a new transfer and a commentary or brief making of feature?
I was kidding.

As for Rossini, I'm writing a screenplay where the two leads (boy and girl) bond over their mutual love of Rossini's music. But, in my case, it's a character trait.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

What aspect of his music? The fact that Rossini took pride in how he built a career on recycling his kitsch music over and over again, and then retiring once he felt he had made enough money? :D

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
What aspect of his music? The fact that Rossini took pride in how he built a career on recycling his kitsch music over and over again, and then retiring once he felt he had made enough money?
Exactly!! Isn't that what Hollywood's all about anyway?

All kidding aside, the script I'm writing is a teen comedy and for the two lead characters to even acknowledge Rossini or classical music in general is something I'm personally proud of. :)

Quick edit: I glanced over your music collection. Nice!

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I have this on LD - it was sent to me on "accident" by EAV Laser (along with Sabrina and a second copy of The Aristocats).

Don't waste your time - it's Seinfeld, minus the humor and great characters.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I loved this movie, caught it on cable last year. I had no idea it was from Larry David, since I missed the beginning. The humor is not exactly for everyone, but my perverse little mind got a huge kick out of it :D here's hoping for an OAR release :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I remember seeing 1 tv spot around it's release date, but sadly it never came out in my city (According to IMDB it was out for 2 weeks)

I love this movie and watch it once a month on DVD. I can't believe that Ebert gave it ZERO stars...i've seen plenty worse movies then this one.

Dean

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I enjoyed the movie (though it's no "Curb Your Enthusiasm") but felt it would've worked better with a different cast. Anyway, it was Larry's first film, cut him some slack.

and yes, I'd buy the DVD if it was OAR.

PS If anyone recalls how "Sour Grapes" was used in "Curb..", you shall receive a shrubbery.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
PS If anyone recalls how "Sour Grapes" was used in "Curb..", you shall receive a shrubbery.
Isn't it mentioned in the Affirmative Action episode wherein the African-American woman accuses Larry of racism because he didn't hire her for a job on Sour Grapes?

Plus, we can see a Sour Grapes poster behind Larry's secretary in an episode or two.

Oh, I have no life.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks