Sound Setup Advice for the Ignorant

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Oliver, Oct 26, 2001.

1. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Apr 12, 1999
    The ingnorant is me and I am really itching to get away from my TVs sound to the kind of sound the DVD format truly deserves. My main question is what kind of setup should I have, GIVEN that I will not be able to have rear speakers for now and it will probably be several years until it is possible. Minimally I would think I would need a couple of bookshelf speakers, then a center channel, then a sub-woofer. But I am just guessing and if I am going to spend money I don't want to be guessing. Also what should I be looking for in a reciever? I am not looking to spend top dollar but I will spend reasonable money, up to a grand (i.e. I don't think I want a packaged system. I am not so concerned about being able to also listen to music, although I will be doing that as well. I am mostly concerned with just getting some quality sound for my movies. Thanks!
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Ohhh. You are NOT asking for setup help, but purchasing help. Thats a bit different.
    First, you should tell us your budget so we dont give you "Sticker Shock".
    Second, you can get by with less-expensive speakers if the system is 90% HT rather than music.
    (A DVD soundtrack is highly compressed and focused on the center speaker. It does not need the accuracy that a music system requires. This can save you a lot of money.)
    A great intro system is something like the Kenwood HTB-503 (or now 504). This $500 system is a basic receiver, speakers and self-powered sub. Add a DVD player and you are good to go.
    A better choice would be a packaged 5-piece speaker system designed for HT. Many manufactures make these: Definitive Tech, Klipsch, Paradigm, Energy. Add a good Yamaha or Dennon receiver from $500-$1000 and a DVD player and you have a better system.
    Lots of choices.