What's new

Sound Meter - Sub Woofer (1 Viewer)

russell>b

Auditioning
I have adjusted all speaker levels with a sound meter and test tone at about 75dbdb, BUT to be at the same level as the other speakers the sub woofer ends up being turned up to 100% volume.

This is way way way too lound, I normally don't have it more than 50%

Any ideas on whats going on here I thought all speakers had to be at the same level ?

thanks

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Does the test tone seem too loud when your setting the level or does the bass seem too loud after you've calibrated and you play a movie/music ?

"All the way up" does sound like there's something wrong either in the meter or the receiver's test tones.

What type of receiver are you using? What kind of sub? What sort of meter?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind Russle: your subwoofer volume is a combination of 2 things:

- The LFE signal level coming from your reciever
- The position of the volume/intensity knob

If you have to turn the volume knob to 100% my guess is that your reciever has a LFE output level way low.

Find this setting in your reciever. Bump it up several points. Turn down the volume on the sub and re-calibrate.

Note: A lot of people adjust their speakers to 75 db, but then adjust the sub to be 80-83 db. This is because:

- The SPL meter is off a bit at subwoofer frequencies
- People like a bit more bass for movies

Russell: you use 75 db and 80/83 db to calibrate. But you dont leave the volume control this high. You adjust the volume to fit your comfort level for each movie. Is this what you mean when you say it's "Way Way too high"?

Calibration just means you get all your speakers producing the same volume. All the speakers should then track up/down together when you move the volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks