What's new

Sound Meter Calibration (1 Viewer)

Arthur E

Auditioning
Great forum; hard to keep up with all the valuable info!

Has anyone calibrated the Radio Shack digital sound level meter? Instruction book says,"the meter responds mainly to frquencies in the 32 to 10,000Hz range". How accurate is the meter in this range?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Digital meter is essentially identical to the analog one, only more expensive and harder to read. I prefer the analog meter- needles are easier to follow than digits.

If you're looking to properly EQ your system using a RS meter- then you might want to look at the correction values on this forum-- but if you're just looking for overall level calibration which a calibration DVD... then this should be accurate enough.

-Vince

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I guess I’m the odd-man out. No one seems to like the digital model. I’ve used both and I prefer the digital model.

The only time “dancing digits” are a problem is with random signals like low frequency pink noise, or real-time use during a program. However, in this situation you can set the meter for a time-lapse reading for 1-199 seconds. The meter can tell you the minimum, average and maximum SPL readings that occurred during the elapsed time. Try doing that with the analog model.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Arthur E

Auditioning
Vince,

Thanks for the feedback. I did spring for the digital sound level meter, and would like to check its calibration. Could you please direct me to where I can find the correction values in this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks