What's new

Sound characteristics of multi amped speakers (1 Viewer)

Carson E

Agent
Scenario: 6.1 system. 3 front 3 rear full range speakers. If I ran the front or rears out from say a Denon 3802 to the ins of an older high power DPL receiver so that one receiver runs the 3front and one powers the 3rears...would the speakers take on different tonal qualities due to using different amps? In essence would the front sound like the Denon and the rear sound like the Pioneer receiver?
Reason... the Denon tested about 45 watts/ channel when in 5 or 6 channel mode and the speakers are not too sensitive.
So would it be a good idea to use two amps to avoid over taxing the Denon? And again would it separate, so to speak, the sound quality.
Thanks for any input as I've wondered over this for some time.
Carson

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Of course, the answer is "Yes, but..." only your ears can decide if it matters.
While receivers do tend to sound slightly different, speakers still provide most of the tonality differences. The differences may be small enough that they don't matter to you. Remember to calibrate the sound levels. Slight differences in SPL can make a system seem quite different although you won't be able to notice a difference in the volume.
I hope this is sufficiently vague...
------------------
Selden

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
"So would it be a good idea to use two amps to avoid over taxing the Denon? And again would it separate, so to speak, the sound quality."
As I understand it, Denon uses independent amps for each channel. So if you take the load off the rear channels, it shouldn't affect the front three one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks