What's new

Please help me with a couple of upgrade options... (1 Viewer)

Patrick*M

Auditioning
I live in an apartment, so that means my living room is my listening room/home theater. I switched my audio setup from a Jolida 102B integrated tube amp for a Harman Kardon AVR125 to allow for surround sound listening. Now, of course, my Jolida is nothing but an expensive paperweight. I'm considering two upgrade options:

1) Trading in the Jolida for a Denon 2900 SACD/DVD-A player
2) Trading in the AVR125 for an AVR230 (or higher), so that I can use the reciever's pre-outs and use the Jolida for my mains (the AVR125 does not have pre-outs for FL and FR speakers)

I love the Jolida for music, but I just have no way to use it as things stand right now. Which of the two options above would anybody suggest? My one other question would be how using the Jolida for the two mains would affect sound when/if I do eventually move to SACD/DVD-A multi-channel (i.e., the sound from my mains having different characteristics than my other speakers)?

Thanks for the help.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I'd go for option 2 IF the Jolida has a unity gain or home theater pass thru. If it does THAT would take care of your last question. If it doesn't, I don't think you would be happy. If the Jolida does not have unity gain/pass through then maybe option 1 BUT you will never get the same 2 channel performance with the HK as you did with the Jolida IMO.

More information and what you can spend would help also. If music is a lot of your listening time (over movies), think HARD before unloading the Jolida.

Patrick*M

Auditioning
I'm not sure how to determine if the Jolida features unity gain or home theater pass-through - neither the manual nor the web site flat-out state either of these. Is there any way to tell?

As for budget, I'm trying to get as close to break-even with the trade as possible. I'm working with the same dealer who sold me the amp, so he'll give me close to what I paid for it, although I'll have to pony up a little if I want to trade for the Denon. I'd have to say that my budget for this exercise tops out at $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks