What's new

Soul Calibur 2 confirmed for Gamecube! (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I wonder if there will be a "massively upgraded version" on the X-box
wink.gif
or if Namco is backing Nintendo exclusively with SC this time around?
But if anyone can make a good fighting game, it is the guys who work at Namco. So I am sure that the game will rock.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Not much I can say about this news other then, fu**in A! :) I hope it's not as easy to complete like the DC release, which was still cool in its own right mind you.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 18, 2001 at 07:08 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't see what the big thing was about SC for DC. It was great looking and provided 3 hours of entertainment, but the fighting system wasn't that great and the game has little or no replay value. I hope the sequel is better.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Each to their own, Morgan. I thought the fighting was superb, the graphics were superb, the single player story mode (unlocking the artwork) was a good addition, and generally all round, it was a great launch title.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree, but one of the big Dreamcast problems was that the games were too easy. Within 4 days, I had beaten Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and Power Stone. Soul Calibur had many great aspects, but once you totally conquer a game, its not fun anymore. That is why it had no replay value and why I didn't see the big deal with it. Power Stone is a lot better than Soul Calibur, IMO, because you can play against your friends a lot easier, its a simpler game, and the action is a lot faster. Marvel vs. Capcom 1 & 2, Capcom vs. SNK, Dead or Alive 2, and Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram are all better than Soul Calibur for the sheer fact that they have more replay value. Fighting games are not able to give players 100+ hours of entertainment like RPGs, but they should at least try rather than just add in a new idea or two and give up. SC had some great extras, but there was no challenge in getting them and it required minimal effort. Same thing goes for most of the DC games (except for a few, which I probably haven't played).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Within 4 days, I had beaten Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and Power Stone.
Maybe you play games too much? Don't take offense by that, I used to be somewhat the same in the SNES days but later down the line with Playstation, N64 and DC I would find myself not playing the games as often on a daily basis as I used to, yet I found I got far more longevity and enjoyment out of each game in adopting my new aproach to gaming.
Dan (UK)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
but once you totally conquer a game, its not fun anymore.
I respectfully disagree. Yes, certain games are 'done' when you finish them, but a heck of a lot of great games aren't structured around rushing through them - like a lot of Sega arcade style games - the idea is to hone your skill & increase your scores... Not just get to the last boss & beat him.
Fighting games certainly fall into that category, and that suggests why you were disappointed with Crazy Taxi. Same with Sonic 2 - that's why it's got those ratings at the end of each level... And 5 missions per level...
Heck, it only takes an hour to 'conquer' Coaster Works, but it's still darn darn good fun well after that hour.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I still go back and play some games that have fun elements, but I need to have something new and fresh every time I accomplish something. The first game I got for PSX was Final Fantasy VII, and it took me almost a year to finish it. Why? Because I didn't play it often and stopped for a while. Even so, I was able to go back to it 3 months after stopping half way through and have something new happen. I beat Final Fantasy IX in only 2 months, and thats a big difference. My point is that while I do play games too much, I expect more than just a few hours out of a game, especially when I'm paying $50. Sonic Adventure was great and I did things like get higher scores and beat levels in under 2 minutes and such, but when you get to that point, there is nothing new and the game gets boring. I support the GCN and PS2 over the DC because the games have challenge and are longer. Yes, Final Fantasy IX can be beaten in under 10 hours if you know what you're doing, but few people can accomplish this task, and even fewer can do it on their first try. Without a guide, or a cheating device, I beat Sonic Adventure in just a few days, playing a maximum of about 3 hours in a day (and this was over a weekend).

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I support the GCN and PS2 over the DC because the games have challenge and are longer.
Let's face it, Morgan - you're the world's best gamer & no DC game gives you a challenge. Personally, I think the games just aren't offering the /kind/ of challenge you're looking for. You've said before you haven't played RPGs etc on the DC but regularly compare the length of game against one of the longest RPGs on the PSX...
What's the average length of play of a GameCube game?! How on EARTH do you know what the level of challeng will be??
You do know that Sony are on record as wanting /shorter/ games out there? Shorter games == more revenue for publishers they think. They were also *heavily* pushing for episodic games, but I think that push has lessened with the delays to the network.
A good few bigname PS2 games are very very short indeed - Bouncer, Onimusha, ZOE can all easily be beat under 10 hours...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I meant that Nintendo has always given us games with a lot of replay value or great side quests or a lot of actual game time. I am assuming the same will be true on the GCN.
Sony may want more short games, but that doesn't mean Final Fantasy XII will be 15 hours long (FFX can go past 150 hours, and FFXI is online, so that has no limit to it). I'm just saying that achieving a high score is dandy and all, but doing the same thing in the same level over and over and over again to achieve a measely 3 seconds quicker time is pointless unless you get something for it. ZOE, Onimusha, and The Bouncer were pretty fun, and even though you could conquer them in 10 hours, they offered great gameplay, original ideas, great concepts, and even good extras (The Bouncer has many hidden characters for its multiplayer mode, ZOE has a similar thing plus the MGS2 Demo, and Onimusha had some hidden costumes and a trailer for Onimusha 2). Sonic Adventure had gameplay variety, but it would have helped if the gameplay was good for everything and not just one thing (Sonic had the good stuff, everything else was close to his gameplay structure or sucked). I don't see what is so great about some of these games on DC. The N64 has way better games than the DC that were released in the first two years of its lifespan.
Comparing FF to Soul Calibur is not a fair thing, but comparing the average length of an FF game to the longest DC game experience is fair. I spent 59 hours on Final Fantasy IX before I beat it. That is the shortest time I spent on a FF game and I loved every moment of it. I spent about 15 hours on Shenmue and it was never that good for that whole time. I spent about 18 hours on Sonic Adventure (probably less) and only part of it was enjoyable.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I spent about 15 hours on Shenmue and it was never that good for that whole time. I spent about 18 hours on Sonic Adventure (probably less) and only part of it was enjoyable.
So clock that up as one game you just didn't enjoy & one game that had some good bits in it outweighed by bits you didn't. Nothing more, nothing less. You keep coming back to the argument of "Dreamcast is worse than other platforms" - it doesn't matter! Who cares! Talk about the games, talk about the games you're enjoying, steer people away from games you don't like. Just don't keep saying "DC is poo" for no other reason that your bad choice in game purchases - a lot of people disagree, because developers/publishers have provided them with games that provide experiences [bold]they liked[/bold].
I have friends who are completely in love with the world & story presented by ShenMue - they still go forklift driving, they still go looking for sailors regularly - to them, it's the Best Game Ever, one they could play for hours on end... It's all a matter of taste.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

JasonK

Supporting Actor
This is great great news! My pals and I played SC on DC for hours on end. I hope they keep the "story" mode intact, as it makes unlocking characters/levels/etc. a lot more interesting. I'd rather do the story mode than the Tekken "beat the game with all the characters" to unlock stuff. Nonetheless, it's another great game to expect for the 'Cube.
Jason

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If a game has something like a rating for each level (like the medals in Sonic Adventure) then achieving them is worth it. If you already have the award and you are striving to just beat the level quicker, then I see that as pointless. I want to conquer the game and get everything in it, but I want it to take more than 15 hours.
I didn't even spend 100 hours on FF7. I spent like 50, if that many. Even so, I beat the game from beginning to end. I'm sure it takes less time to get everything in Samba De Amigo, and that was what I was comparing (not the time you play it, but the time you took to beat it once). I have racked up probably at least 50 hours on Sonic Adventure because its fun, but I'm not accomplishing anything new. When I can beat a videogame and get all of the secrets without a guide in less than a week, I see that as a waste of money unless the game is a puzzle game or a fighting game (because those are usually fun all the time). The problem with the DC is not the hardware, its the games. They were in too short of supply (of the good ones) and they were too short.
And I knew that you weren't making a sweeping statement that all PS2 games are short, I was just clarifying that what Sony wants won't make a difference to game length, but rather to game concepts (more puzzle games, more short games that don't require much skill but have more fun).
I own The Bouncer and I can say that it is a great game. Graphically, it is superior to anything on the DC, plus it has a longer play time than some DC titles that were hailed as greats. It even has a multiplayer mode that is pretty fun with friends, several endings, you can max out all your characters, find all the hidden characters, and it has 5.1 (just a little bonus that sounds great). I got my money's worth out of the Bouncer, and I can't say the same for Shenmue, and thats not just because I didn't like it.
The longest DC game I know of is Skies of Arcadia. Some say you can spend more time on that game doing and accomplishing things than any other game created. But, I have heard that Final Fantasy X offers you even more gameplay along with some better elements added to it. I haven't played either one of them, so this is just speculation.
The problem with DC games is that they are making pretty games that are pure eye candy (all looks, no substance) and the games that are worth it don't make a purchase worth it. Based on my experience, the PlayStation has better games than the DC, even if the graphics aren't better. Anyone ever play Blue Stinger? That game has many problems, but some games have similar problems with the camera, the animations, the character models, the story, and other graphical problems. Add to all those that the game sucked.
I like my Dreamcast, and I will defend it in certain situations, but its not all that people say it is.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
quote: I like my Dreamcast, and I will defend it in certain situations, but its not all that people say it is.[/quote]
I suspect that to be 'All That' it would need to say "NINTENDO" on the case.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 19, 2001 at 06:21 AM]

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
If Soul Calibur 2 is exclusive to GameCube...then its status within the hardcore gamer world just went up a few notches. Just another reason to buy the system at launch
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
The length of games is a really hairy topic. Personally I can't stand the Final Fantasy series, as the slow pace drives me crazy. Others like yourself love them and complain that something more pick-up-and-play is over too soon. Each to their own, but I think the fact that speed runners have done the whole of Quake in 12 minutes and 23 seconds says more about how its such a good game they would practice it that hard than how its too short somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks