What's new

Sony's SACD 5 disc player arrived! (1 Viewer)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any reason why one wouldn't use the 2ch + SW mode for 2ch playback, through the analog multi-ch output, rather than the 2ch Direct mode through the L&R 2ch outputs?
Since analog-direct receivers do not offer bass management, it would seem that this is the only way to get bass management with a SACD.
I may be mising something important here, but I don't think so.
Thanks in advance,
David

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
I am demoing a CDP-775 this weekend. My dealer gave me three discs to try out. I have listenend to them all but the one i have running continuously is Doug MacLeod's "Unmarked Road" an excellent recording of fairly non descript blues.
My observations are that SACD is much more relaxed and more detailed with added ambience and space. You would think the additional detail would make it sound harder but it is the complete opposite.
I will definitely be getting a SACD player, just not a 5 disc. I do not like the noise the mechanism makes when switching discs or when the tray opens.
i will wait for a single disc ES unit.
Overall the 775 is a hell of player for the money. I imagine the next generation will be $200 cheaper but i suspect the circuitry will suffer. Sony seems to be a 6-9 month cycle with these players so it may not be in production too much longer.
[Edited last by Rutledge on September 22, 2001 at 06:30 PM]

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I too have a JVC DVD-A and a SONY CE-775. I love them both. As far as current multichannel SACD titles go, I most impressed with Billy Joel's "The Stranger". You have to hear it to believe it. The mix is very surround aggressive. "Anthony's Song" is a marvel. Great surround, DEEP bass, and fantastic dynamic range. A must buy,IMHO.
As far as the Y cables go, they would'nt work for me with my Denon 5700. When I had both sources hooked up, it sounded good, so I left them for a day. Then I realized that I had one of the lefts and rights mixed up and I started playing with the cables. When I hooked up the SACD by itself, It was like night and day. What I thought sounded good opened right up and it sounded fantastic! I ended up using 3 radio shack stereo "switching boxes" and now it works just fine. It's worth a try.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Any idea what the xover point is?
It is @120hz.
S&V measured 121hz with a second order filter for the low pass,and first order for the high pass filter.
Way too high for many speaker sub combos out there.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jay,
There's a good review of the 555ES in the October issue of Stereophile.
Overall they liked it with some minor reservations. And, it does have bass management.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like my old thread has come back to life!
As an update-I now have a few Multichannel SACD's
Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells
Billy Joel's The Stranger
Jeff Becks Blow by Blow
Sacred Feast Gaudeamus
Mozart Midori
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
My impressions range from fantastic (Tubular Bells/Gaudeamus/Midori) to disappointment (Stranger/Kind of Blue/Blow by Blow).
With all titles the audio quality is superb-The problems I have encountered are mostly with the Multichannel remixes; Billy Joel's Stranger has his vocals isolated in the center channel on some songs,and it sounds horrible (my opinion)instead of blending the vocals across the fronts as is done on other tracks which sound way better.
Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow has his fantastic guitar work comming from the SURROUND channels-not from the mains Who did this? It sounds like crap!
Miles Davis disc is a forty year old recording, and although the music is great there are clearly heard distortions on the Saxes on some tracks.
It takes away from the the enjoyment everytime it kicks in,and appears it is on the master tapes used for the transfer.
Overall i'm pleased with SACD. I hope that better remixing can be done on furure titles, and we won't have to go thru second and third versions of SACD's as we do with DVD's.
Regards
Chris
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks