Sony's SACD 5 disc player arrived!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-C, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Today!
    As Dana tried to say below (thread messed up?).
    I just received my 5 disc Sony SACD today also.
    I only have one SACD title (so Far), and it sounds pretty good-Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde".
    The remastering sounds great for something that old.
    Dylan's disc is two channel only (non hybrid),and I don't have any multichannel SACD's yet.
    Anybody with good sources for SACD on the net?
    As for set up-As many of you know we have to run SIX analog RCA's or these baby's until the manufacturer's lighten up on the copy protection paranoia, and provide ONE digital output. (sorry rant).
    Multichannel Bass management was a little tricky,but I think it's working ok-I don't use a sub-Paradigm Studio Ref's 100's.
    Also for connections-I just got back from RadioShack (I know), and i'm using their Y adapter #42-2436, because I also am running a Panasonic RP 91 DVDA with ANOTHER six analog outputs.
    As somebody on this great forum suggested, the Y adapters are working great-No conflict between the two units,now coupled together.
    I've obviously been "Living Large" with these two recent purchases, but they're both wonderful sounding units.
    As always OneCall gave a great price for both units (purchased seperately),and fast processing.
    I won't list the price paid due to somebody always saying where they got "it" cheaper,but you can Email me if really curious.
    OneCall said they had about 11 Sony's in stock when I ordered last thursday.
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, I assume you bought the Sony SCD-CE775 because you didn't specify the model in your post. Anyway, congratulations. I'm also glad to hear that the Y-adapters are working well for you because I have a DVD-Audio player and will most likely add a multi-channel SACD player as well. I haven't decided which multi-channel player to get. Your initial comments on the 'CE775 are helpful, and I would like to hear more from you as you get more SACDs, including multi-channel titles. I am a bit concerned about the quality of the 'CE775 since it isn't an ES unit (I don't mean to sound like a snob). As a result, I may wait until Sony releases the SCD-C222ES changer in September ($800 retail).
    Here are a few web resources for purchasing SACDs:
    www.hmv.com
    www.amazon.com
    www.cdnow.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.amusicdirect.com
    These six web sites offer a good selection of SACDs. Hmv.com is out of Canada, but shipping to the US is reasonable. Enjoy your new toys!
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited 1 time by KeithH on July 09, 2001 at 11:24 PM]
    [Edited 2 times, lastly by KeithH on July 09, 2001 at 11:25 PM]

3. Chris-C

You are correct Sir!
    It is indeed the SCD-CE775, and it's sounding pretty good for a non ES model.
    Thanks to your links, i've now ordered three more titles, and can't wait to try them out.
    I think they're all 2 channel for now.
    I'll be watching for MultiChannel discs-Do you know of any?
    Thanks again Keith
    CC
    ------------------

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, no problem. Glad to help. There are about 10-12 multi-channel titles out, most of which are on smaller labels. A reportedly good one out there, if you are into the music, is Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells. It is a hybrid disc in that it has a CD layer and an SACD layer. The SACD layer contains both a stereo and multi-channel track. The multi-channel track is derived from the original Quad mix that was released in 1975 (the album itself was released in 1973). I have the disc, but can only listen to the stereo SACD track since I don't have a multi-channel player. The stereo SACD track is significantly better than the CD portion. You should be able to find Tubular Bells on the web sites I mentioned above and at Borders and Best Buy. Some hybrid discs are available in retail stores, but Sony's single-layers discs are for the most part only available at Tower Records stores (and online, of course).
    For a more complete list of multi-channel SACDs, I would post a question on the "Hi-Rez Highway" message board on www.audioasylum.com . This board deals specifically with SACD and DVD-Audio. Finally, I know that Sony will be releasing a couple multi-channel titles this month.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on July 10, 2001 at 06:41 AM]
    [Edited last by KeithH on July 10, 2001 at 06:41 AM]

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'm in the market for a cd player and was considering this unit. How is it for 2-channel playback? I will using this for my audio only room (no surrounds or sub).
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Chris,
    Did you have a chance to compare the non-es sacd player against the ES models? How would you say the 775 would stack up against my Denon DCM370 CD changer or one of the Sony 70es or 80es CD changers for CD (redbook) playback?
    Gil

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'm also itching for SACD and have my eye on the Sony 555ES. Has anyone had first-hand experience with this player? I know that those on this forum with the 333ES have raved about its performance. The 555 adds multi-channel capability. I'm not that interested in multi-channel, but times change and I'm probably better off at least being prepared for it. Does the 555 give up anything to the 333 in terms of two channel reproduction? Where is the best place on-line for Sony products (best mix of price/service)? I have not been able to find either of these players locally.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jay, unfortunately, I haven't heard much about the performance of the 'C555ES in stereo mode relative to the 'C333ES. I would expect them to be the same. Just a hunch. Do you have Tweeter in your area? They carry both changers. One in suburban Philly near my folks has both players. In looking at both units at Tweeter (I own the 'C333ES, by the way), the build quality is identical. A salesman at Tweeter told me that the two players are identical except for the multi-channel capability in the 'C555ES. I haven't compared the two, so I can't comment, and I would take anything that a salesman at Tweeter says with a grain of salt.
    I feel the best places to order Sony ES products by mail, including SACD players, are Oade Bros. (1-912-228-0093 or 1-912-228-4480) or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). Both are authorized dealers. I've ordered from both and gotten excellent prices and service. J&R offers a 30-day money back guarantee, but Oade Bros. charges a restocking fee. Something to consider. Crutchfield probably has the best customer service out there, but their prices are high. For example, whereas Oade Bros. and J&R are selling the 'C333ES for $550-600, Crutchfield has it for $800.
    In all of this, all I can say is that I have been very happy with the 'C333ES. Sony discontinued it recently in favor of multi-channel players, and I got it for $600 from J&R in April. It is a steal at that price. As for multi-channel SACD, the 'C555ES is overkill for me, so I am waiting to learn more about the 'CE775, which looks like a good deal at $329 from J&R. Also, Sony will be releasing the SCD-C222ES multi-channel SACD changer in September for $800 retail, and I want to see how good that player is too.
    ------------------
    My:

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hi, I'm really interested in high-res audio and was curious about a few things on SACD:
    1) Do I need a receiver with some type of high-res audio decoding, or is that only needed if the SACD player had a digital output? I have a Kenwood VR-407 receiver which has 5.1 channel inputs, is that the only thing needed to enjoy the benefits of a multi-channel SACD player?
    2) I've noticed on amazon.com and cdnow that they don't list the SACDs as either hybrid or single layer. Is there a website that specifies this?
    3) When do you think redording companies will start releasing modern releases (ie- Sugar Ray, 311, Beastie Boys, Movie soundtracks, etc..) and not just the classics in SACD?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, I'll try to help out.

11. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

So what sort of analog-output is there? 6 RCAs, or some computer-looking port like my pre-pro has for bypass?
    Inquiring minds want to know!

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, one more thing. While Sony has focused on releasing classics on SACD, due to its targeting of the audiophile market and others that it perceived would buy its initial expensive players (demographics), there are some contemporary artists out on SACD. Ricky Martin Sound Loaded, Jennifer Lopez (forgot the album title), and Train Drops of Jupiter are out on SACD, for example. Also, Aerosmith's Just Push Play was released on SACD at the same time as the CD. An older artist for sure, but a popular one.
    ------------------
    My:

13. Chris-C

Ok I just woke up (night shifter).
    Looks like Keith has answered most of the questions-i'll try to fill in.
    To-DaveM;
    For a 2 channel operation it would be great.
    There are many "2 channel only" discs out from Sony.
    To-Scott L;
    All you need on your receiver is 5.1 external inputs to use SACD or DVDA.
    The majority of websites selling SACD and DVDA need to improve their descriptions of material/formats contained on the discs-But as this is extremely new i'm sure they'll get better as we transition to these new formats.
    As Keith mentioned there are newer artists available-just not many! I'm sure it's just a matter of time before most all new material comes out in these formats-the artists will make more $$$$$.
    It's just getting geared up.
    To-Mctague;
    There are 6 analog outputs for the SACD material, and a Digital Optical output for the non SACD material.
    You don't have to have a digital input for regular CD's as
    the stereo L&R signals also go out a second set of analog 2 channel outputs.
    So there's 8 RCA outs in all!!!!
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------

14. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

KeithH,
    The 333es lacks bass management. I need the bass management since I have bookshelf speakers and a passive sub (meaning no integrated xover in the sub). How do you integrate your sub with your bookshelf speakers?
    Chris,
    How does the bass management work on the 775? Is it multichannel bass management and is the crossover fixed or adjustable?
    The S&V review mentioned that the bass management doesn't operate on the stereo analog output for CD playback, but I could rely on the receiver to do it via the digital out when playing CD's. Why they didn't reveal any details on player's bass management capabilities, I don't know???
    What other CD/DVD player do you have that you can compare it to for regular CD's.
    TIA,
    Gil

15. Chris-C

Gil;
    I'm not gettin any time to play with this thing with all these questions (just kiddin-keep em comming).
    The Bass management setup is like this:
    For 2 channel-you have 2 choices;
    1. 2 channel direct (no signal to sub)
    2. 2CH+SW
    For Multi-Channel you have 7 choices;
    1. 5 Large + SW
    2. 5 Large
    3. 5 Small + SW
    4. FRT- Large + SW (rears/center small)
    5. FRT- Large (rears/center small-no sub)
    6. No CNTR + Sub (fronts and rears large)
    7. No CNTR (fronts and rears large-no sub)
    I don't believe there is any manual adjustment of sub crossover freq.
    You can adjust speaker levels.
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gil, as a stereo component, I wouldn't expect the 'C333ES to offer bass management. CD players don't. As for my sub, I do not have it connected to my stereo integrated amp in my home theater and do not have a sub in my second system, which is stereo only. I am happy with the sound from my Energy e:XL 16s alone. They are rated to 50 Hz, which may not be ideal, but I don't like too much bass in my music. Before I would work on integrating my sub into my stereo systems, I would investigate floorstanding speakers further. For now, I am happy though.
    ------------------
    My:

17. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

18. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Thanks for the bass management update Chris.
    Any idea what the xover point is?
    Let me know if there is any audible noise (hiss, etc) in the channels when the bass management is turned on.

19. JasonZ

JasonZ Agent

jay,
    i just read your post. i dont know if you remember but i work at a hi end store in jenkintown, pa. i have both the 333es and the 555es in stock.
    i have the 333es hooked up in my 2 channel listening room and i could hook up the 555es in the same room or in a seperate dedicated home theater room (anthem processor/amplifier with b&w speakers) to demo the multi channel (u have to supply the software).
    we are totally dead right now so i can spend plenty of time with you if you would like to try different combos out. let me know if you are interested so i can set things up.
    -jason

20. Chris-C

Gil- No idea on the Xover point,and the manual doesn't say nada!
    Haven't heard any hisssssssss!, but I don't have any multichannel SACD's yet-just lonely old Bob Dylan 2 channel.
    Regards
    Chris
    ------------------