What's new

Sony will replace DVP-NS900V with 'NS905V. Here's a link to an online review. (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
According to the article it's not progressive!?
* Cluttered remote, non responsive keys
* Mediocre internal Dolby Digital decoding
* Not able to switch between multi-channel and stereo on SACD discs without using a video display, or select CD layer of hybrid SACD discs

Justin B

Agent
Lewis,

That review is for the Australian model, which is not progressive scan for PAL or NTSC. If there will be a similar replacement in the US, it will most likely be progressive scan for NTSC.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, when I first scanned the review, I didn't pick up on that aspect. I focused more on the audio part. Anyway, Justin is correct. The Australian version of the 'NS905V -- I say "version" because I assume we will see an 'NS905V in the US -- only offers interlaced output. This is quite common with European and Australian players. I remember awhile back that the European version of the JVC XV-D721BK DVD-Audio player was interlaced only, while our version offered progressive-scan output.
Christine Tham, who started the thread on Audio Asylum, explained the situation with Australian DVD players very well. Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...ges/83959.html

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I'm not so sure about this review?
I have had the U.S. model Sony DVP-NS900V for the past few months.
I have tried every known dvd to see the dreaded "chroma up-sampling error, I have not seen this problem with the NS900V?
The sound quality is fantastic in both red-book and SACD.
At times I feel that the SACD playback is superior to the Sony 222ES SACD changer that I also own.
And * Mediocre internal Dolby Digital decoding
* Not able to switch between multi-channel and stereo on SACD discs without using a video display, or select CD layer of hybrid SACD discs?

This again is not the case with the current U.S. model.
One press of the remote or front panel, the layer on the disc is re-scanned and played. (you must first press stop if you have a disc playing at the time to change over)

Maybe the Australian versions have more differences then we are aware of?

This player blows my old Sony 9000es player out of the water in both audio/video performance IMO.
But that is what makes this hobby so much fun, some can be totally satisfied without the need to take out a mortgage to finance the addiction.:b

Nick Cicutti

Auditioning
Jerry, in what way does the 900 blow the 9000ES out of the water? I auditioned both at considerable length in very high end AV systems and while the 900 was very competitive in overall video performance (though not superior) it clearly couldn't match it in 2 channel audio (CD or SACD). The only thing the 900 has over it is a lower price and multichannel SACD (not insignificant). Build quality, power supply, component tolerances etc. all make the older 9000 the superior unit IM, particularly on the audio side.

nc

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
In video! I have fed both units to our Yamaha DPX-1 dlp,
Also to my Mitsubishi HD rptv, and to my Toshiba 36" HD direct view tv.

The 9000 gave much more artifacts in my case on all three displays. The color was about the same. The progressive out of of the 900 was better. I do not feed the dpx a progressive, as the internal processing is Superior.

Now on the audio side.
I fed them to our B&W Nautilus 802's,Mirage OM5’s,Paradigm ref 60v2.
In all cases with our gear, the 900 had more of a life like open smooth sound, again to our liking.
We enjoy the multi channel, out of our 80+ SACD collection, we find that we play more multi then two channel SACD's.

Again this is personally subjective.
I will never say the 9000 is a bad unit.
I only had it for a short time, just under three weeks.
This past December I entered into the SACD club.
The first was the 222ES (gift from the wife) that was just the start of this great format for us.

I will agree that the build quality is not that of the 9000ES. But it's far from run of the mill Sony non ES products.
I am not a technology nut that will spill out all kinds of audiophile lingo to explain our findings/feelings.
what we see and hear will never be the same as anyone else.
In this case the 900 was the superior unit for us.

We don't spend much time looking for the faults of our setups, But rather just enjoy them.
If a fault arises and becomes annoying, or something new arrives that we feel is only a gain, we buy it.

It's hard to enjoy what you have if you only see what it does not.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jerry, I don't have extensive experience with the 'NS900V, but I find it hard to believe that it would be significantly better than the 'S9000ES. Of course, we all have different tastes and interpretations. That's O.K. Regardless, the 'NS900V is an excellent value. It will be interesting to see if the 'NS905V will be in the same league.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was quite disappointed to see several of the player's convenience features dropped (especially the SACD multi/stereo button). It also looks like the 905 may not be as well-constructed as the 900.

A major issue (and one that won't affect US buyers) is the Australian version's lack of RGB via SCART. The inclusion of both SCART and component outputs on the 900 was a real selling point. Many widescreen TVs sold there (and here in New Zealand) come from Europe, and include RGB inputs via SCART but rarely component. This was the reason I recently bought a 900, even though I knew the 905 was on the horizon.

The price listed is $1299AUD (half the price of the 900), which is only $200AUD more than the DVP-NS700V; which makes me wonder whether the price listed is correct. The 905 will include most of the features of the upcoming 999ES, but it will sell for (I'm guessing) $2000AUD less. That price difference will be very hard to justify.

Adam

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam, we'll have to see what the 'NS999ES has to offer. From the picture, the 'NS905V does not look as nice as the 'NS900V. It looks like Sony cut back on the newer model. The 'NS905V chassis reminds me of the old Sony 'S570D, which I believe was sold as the 'S735D in Europe.

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
So what's the skinny on the NS999ES? Is this a new model for the US market?? Any info or links would be appreciated.

The info I saw on the 900V for the US indicated that it would be available throughout 2002 with no replacement. Based on the 905 we've seen, that sounds correct. The new 755V has the same box, but a superior feature set.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The 'NS905V chassis reminds me of the old Sony 'S570D, which I believe was sold as the 'S735D in Europe.
Correcto mundo!
Yep that was my impression as well, especially that I have a 570 myself.The remote however is from a stepdown model[560],which makes the current 900 model even a better deal IMO.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,
As I recall, Sony dropped the jog wheel on some of its newer DVD players. That is disappointing. I have rarely come across a Sony remote that I didn't like, but the DVD remotes with jog wheels are excellent. Just my $0.02.
Cary,
Thus far, I have only seen an announcement for the 'NS999ES at an Italian hi-fi show. As I recall, someone here said that it would be coming out in the US. That would make sense since the 'S9000ES has been around awhile and doesn't play multi-channel SACDs.
I would not necessarily take the Australian version of the 'NS905V as an indication that we will not see a version of it here. As has been discussed, it is not so uncommon for manufacturers to sell interlaced players in Europe and Australia and progressive-scan versions of the same player in the US. I would not be surprised if Sony did replace the 'NS900V by the end of this year, and I would expect the 'NS905V in progressive-scan form to replace it. Then again, what do I know? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks