What's new

Sony ubp-x700 USB LPCM question (1 Viewer)

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I'm planning on purchasing the X700 blu-ray player. I want to play a movie file with dts-ma or true-hd off of a USB attached to the blu-ray. It says in the manual on page 30 that it supports Dolby Digital, LPCM, AAC, MP3 audio formats. I also have a Denon receiver that can decode dts-ma 7.1 and truehd 7.1. If I plug in the USB and play the file off of the 4k blu ray player, will it decode it to LPCM automatically? . Do I have to convert the dts-ma or truehd with software to get LPCM 7.1?
I'm looking to get the highest resolution I can via 7.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The manual doesn't mention HD soundtracks in the file playback options. I'm pretty sure that most players will NOT play HD soundtracks from files. Oppo players are (were) an exception.

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
The manual doesn't mention HD soundtracks in the file playback options. I'm pretty sure that most players will NOT play HD soundtracks from files. Oppo players are (were) an exception.
But won't it convert it to LPCM 7.1 then?

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I don’t think so.
I got this response from another forum:
"If I were you, it’s better to stay in the safe side and convert the DTS-Ma. You can’t use a software to decode audio into LPCM 7.1, you will need to do it manually."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Either you're misunderstanding me, or I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. Most players won't play DTS or DD HD soundtracks from files. You can play the file, but won't get audio. The player won't convert them to LPCM either. There are a few exceptions, like the Oppo players. I doubt any Sony player is an exception to that, which is supported by info in the manual. If you have a way to convert the HD audio track to LPCM, then, yeah, it should be able to play that, but it's not like I've ever tried it. I have tried to play DTS and DD HD soundtracks on some Panasonic players with no go.

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Either you're misunderstanding me, or I'm misunderstanding what you're asking. Most players won't play DTS or DD HD soundtracks from files. You can play the file, but won't get audio. The player won't convert them to LPCM either. There are a few exceptions, like the Oppo players. I doubt any Sony player is an exception to that, which is supported by info in the manual. If you have a way to convert the HD audio track to LPCM, then, yeah, it should be able to play that, but it's not like I've ever tried it. I have tried to play DTS and DD HD soundtracks on some Panasonic players with no go.

I understand. Do you know what format LPCM is in? I read somewhere it's .wav and AIFF. I turned an HD audio file into a wav file and remuxed it. It even listed it as a PCM file in mkvtoolnix when I added it.

UPDATE: It says in a movie player (Jriver) that the .wav is a pcm_s24le @6912 kb/s. Do you think this might work?

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I couldn't say.

It works with DTS-MA and converts it to PCM. It DOESN'T work with truehd + atmos. I also tried the .wav format and .pcm + Pcm2Tsmu and tsmuxed and it works. It displays the audio bitrate of the dts-ma file (and pcm,wav) when playing the USB in the blu ray player, and it looks like not the core 1500 it's playing but the actual HD version. So overall I'm very satisfied with my purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for your help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Have you tried a DD HD 5.1 or 7.1 rather than Atmos? If DTS-MA works, then maybe that will as well.

icyulkn

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Have you tried a DD HD 5.1 or 7.1 rather than Atmos? If DTS-MA works, then maybe that will as well.

I'll have to locate a DD HD only bluray without atmos. I can convert it to .wav or .pcm in the meantime. That did the trick.

diegomarcelino23

Auditioning
Real Name
DIEGO LEITE
Hi, how are you?
Does this player(Sony ubp-x700) recognize DTS or Dolby format through usb video files (mkv and mp4)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks