What's new

Sony STR-DE885/985 receiver (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I'm looking for a recevier and speakers for my PC, my budget for the recevier and speakers (5 + 1 Sub) is about $1000 canadian ($650 US).
I was thinking about the Sony STR-DE885/985 receiver and SA-VE335 speakers.
I know people say the Sony DE series aren't good but the Denon/Haramn Kardon's in the same price range are 25-50 watts per channel instead of 100.
This will be my first receiver and will be used for MP3s and DVDs from my PC.
I currently have a sony minisystem I got in the end of 2002 and I will be returning it for a receiveer since I want Pro Logic II and the minisystem's sound is very weak (200 watts RMS total).
Would the sound with this receiver and speakers sound better than my current minisystem? Would it be much louder since it's 600 watts total?
Thanks

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Sony's only rated 32watts on a test from sound and vision mag. I would get the kenwood vr-6070thx $370 and the sa-ve335 $189. Or you could get the sony 3-piece speaker package for 99.00 and 2-sony hb100 bookshelf speakers to match the surrounds.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
But would that sony receiver with the sony speakers sound a lot louder than my minisystem thats 200 watts RMS?

Also, I don't need 6.1 surround 5.1 is fine, but I would prefer a silver receiver. Are there any silver ones for $400 US that would be better than the sony one?

Thanks

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Yes that would be alot better than your mini-system. Sony is ok equip but I would get something that has more features like the kenwood

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't use the wattage rating of a receiver to deterimine if it is good. The H/K and Denon are much more realistic in the reporting of their true output and will give you much better sound quality.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't John the test on the kenwood produced 94watts per channel all 6 driven. I think thats fairly good. And Sacha the Harmon would be better than the Sony. I just don't care for H/K though. Tried a 125 today and had to crank it up to 0 dec just to get room filling sound. Maybe im wrong but I think that is horrible.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Would the sony 100 watts x 5 be louder thank the HK 125?

Which others other then kenwood for $400US or less would be good?

Thanks

Rob Esposito

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Esposito
I currently have the Sony STR-985 and I find it to be a great receiver.
Im currently running JBL ND310s in the front which are rated at 250watts the Quest Q885 for the rears which are rated at 200watts plus a JBL center channel which is rated at 150watts..
For all my movies the volume is at 39 out of 50.. And that is as loud as you would want it during a movie.. Loud enough that you cant really talk to the guy next to you :D
But its still crystal clear and you dont hear one bit of distortion..

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Thanks Rob, the only thing that's making me hesitate about the 885/985 is that it doesn't have a 96kHz/24bit DAC.

Does having 96kHz make a big difference in sound quality? Is it worth getting a receiver with this capability?

Also, the 96kHz only works with DVDs right? So it wouldn't have any effect on MP3s/CDs playing from my PC?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
BTW, my old JVC minisystem which I found was very loud, has (2) 120 watt front speakers and 15/30/15 watts for the 3 sattelites for a total power of 300 watts.

Would the sony 885/985 with the sony speakers sound at least as loud as my old JVC?

Thanks

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Do you need to be knocked over the head? Because you keep rambling, we keep answering! NO do not buy the "Sory" I mean Sony. For that price you can get a Kenwood or another brand with more power. If you really like Sony that much get a Sony. All the receivers in this range should have, more power than your minisystem. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm right. Not trying to get out of line just stating facts. I have a Sony by the way, currently in the process of looking for a better all around unit.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
First I don't like how "Kenwood" sounds (not the sound of their systems but the sound of the actual name "kenwood"), and I always thought they had crappy products for some reason.

I looked at other brands of the same price on crutchfeild and they either have much less wattage or much less features. What I really like about the sony is the EQ to adjust the sound (none of the others seem to have an EQ) and the many many surround modes it offers (over 20) when the others offer 5 or less.

I know you all say the Sony is crap, but one person in this thread said he had it and really liked it. If some people say it's crap, why do they say that? Even though its made with cheaper parts does that really mean it will break faster? Is the sound quality that much better on other brands for the same price? Are they as loud (I prefer louder and slightly lower quality than great quality that can't play loud)?

Thanks

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Dude just keep your JVC, the way you describe it, I dont think you will be happy with a receiver. DSP you want DSP Ooooh Ahhhh I have DSP out the YenYang! Never use them. They all suck. Isnt the whole point of home theater to listen to music and movies as the director/mixer intended. Everyone I know that has DSP's never use them. I did at first but liked Auto Format Decode the best. Sony might be cheap, but they make good products for the money. I am not a Sony basher, I just think you will be disapointed with the 885 as compared to others. Sacha go to a cc or bestbuy and test them out see what you think. Oh and by the way most receivers in that price range have a equi.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
If you want a good Music receiver get the H/K I hear they are good. Although you have to pay alot of money to get one that plays at highvolume.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Then which receivers besides kenwood (don't like them) and H/K (too weak volume for what I want to pay) would be good for $400?

Also, another reason I want a sony is since I have to return my sony minisystem to the sony store, it will be less trouble just buying another sony from there. But if there are others I think I would like more for $400 and that look good I would probably get it.

BTW, I really prefer a silver receiver. Also, if I get one from another brand can I still use those sony speakers I mentioned with it?

Thanks

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
You really want a Sony then thats what I would get, but get the 985. It can be had online for $314.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks