What's new

Sony STR-DA555ES Owners (1 Viewer)

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Can any owners of this receiver please verify for me once and for all whether or not there is a LFE crossover adjustment?

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony STR-DA333ES that is almost identical to the STR-DA555ES. I think the main differences are the 120Watt/ch vs. 80Watt/ch and a different remote... In fact they share the same user manual.

Anyway - the only crossover adjustment is setting speakers to small/large and sub on/off. Setting speakers to small will send bass below 120hz to the subwoofer or to other "large" speakers if you have them.

There are no selectable crossoverpoints, if that's what you are looking for...

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Jantzen...
Thanks... that's what I was looking for.
By the way, do you use your sony with your SVS?

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I use my SVS with my Sony STR-DA333ES...

I let the Sony do Bass Management for DD/DTS through the optical input for DVD viewing (using a Panasonic RP-56).

For CD/SACD/DVD-A I have an Outlaw ICBM between my Pioneer DV-45A and the 5.1 on the Sony since I was unhappy with the Pioneer's Bass Management and the Sony can't apply Bass Management to the 5.1 inputs.

The SVS sounds great both ways - a little more localized when using the higher crossover of the Sony but that's about it.

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the localization of the sub is my only complaint although it's really not that bad. And this complaint is only about the receiver. I have NO complaints regarding the SVS, it is an unbelievable piece of equipment worth every penny spent getting it!!!;)

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I own the V444ES. Press the set-up button. Turn the little knob until you get to LFE high cut. It can be ajusted from 40hz to 200hz, in 10 hz increments. I don't know how similar the V series and DA series are though.

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks DelRay...
However, the DA555ES as well as the DA333ES lacks that adjustment.

AndyWT

Auditioning
My STR-VA555ES has seperate cross over settings for FRONT, CENTER, REAR, CENTER REAR, as well as LFE CUT. My front's cross over at 50hz, center at 60hz and rears at 70hz. The LFE CUT is left at the default of 120hz so I can hear the whole of the LFE. What this means is that the bass that the speakers cant handle is mixed with the LFE and sent to the sub woofer. It works perfectly, i've tested it with a signal generator. The US version of the VA555ES is the DA5ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks