What's new

please help: Questions about the Sony STR-DA4ES (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All, I think I'm finally ready to upgrade my old STR-DA555ES and the 4ES is looking like the machine for me.
I have used the search function and see what I expected to see, some people like it, others prefer the Denon, etc. I have to admit I'm partial to the Sony sound and ergonomics so I think I'll be happy with the 4ES. I do have some questions for owners of the 4ES about some things that bugged me w/ the 555ES to see if they've been addressed.
1. Is there still a delay in sensing the DD/DTS signal from the DVD if using optical or coaxial outs? It always took my 555ES a click or two (from 1/4 a second to sometimes a full second or so!) to sense the digital signal from the DVD player.
1b. If that delay still exists, does the receiver also drop (and have to regain) the signal during layer changes and menu transitions? I would have my dimmer set to OFF so that all lights were off when watching a movie, but when the layer change happened and the receiver dropped the signal "DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1" would flare up in bright LED, as well as the requisite dropping of a split second or so of audio. This also happened during transitions of animated menus, the best example being Prince of Egypt + The Mummy (Fraser). When navigating those two menus there are sounds that transition from one screen to the next but I rarely heard them until I had the DVD do the 5.1 decoding!
So basically if I'm going to upgrade the receiver I'd like to move the DD/DTS decoding back to the receiver, but dislike that delay. If the delay's still there I may stand pat w/ my current receiver and just wait until they come out with a version that doesn't have the delay.
Thanks in advance for your help!

JackS

Supporting Actor
Carlo- I'm a little surprised the V555 had this delay. A 50es I had a few years ago had the delay as did many receivers of the era. As I remember it, the delay was only on the initial detection which was maybe 1/4 second or so. I don't recall the delay during layer changes. I do recall the blue light indicator remaining on, so evidently the Sony stayed locked on to the appropriate signal. The reason I'm suprised with the V555 is I upgraded to the 777es which does not exhibit this problem and was produced before the V555. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't expect any modern day receiver to have the delay.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The V555 is the equivalent of the 4ES right? And the V777 is, what, the 5ES or the 7ES?

And unfortunately for my DA555ES, it is *not* only on initial detection but on any drop of audio signal (whether I'm using my old Sony DVP-S300 or the new Panny RP91 player) and it is really frickin' annoying!

Maybe I can arrange to have my dealer demo it for me.

Any other experiences and comments are very welcome!

JackS

Supporting Actor
Carlo- Sorry, I was thinking V555 not DA555. Your DA555 was the model below the DA777es during the same time-frame. I think your right. Before buying, prove to yourself this delay no longer exists. There are a few DA4 owners around, so maybe someone could verify?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for clarifying Jack. Can any 4ES owners relate their experiences?

Thanks!

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I've been doing a little research on the 4ES since it seems to have everything I could want. Over at AVS there are some that think it is a piece of junk but from what I read they seemed to have a bias against Sony so I take their thoughts with a grain of salt. There was a long thread here but that was mostly speculation as only a few people actually had the 4ES and the 7ES and the thread fell to the wayside. I'd really like to hear opinions on the musicality of the receiver though. The other receiver in its class is the 45TX and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

David Judah

Screenwriter
When I was comparing receivers around the $1000 range, I listened to the 4ES(used Infinity IL60 speakers which have a neutral if not a bit laid back sonic signature). Its presentation struck me as a little bright and foward. I jokingly commented to my friend that it out-Yamaha'd the Yamahas(1300 & 2300).

If you like that kind of sound, then you should be happy with the 4ES because it does have that open, clean sound that Sony is known for, and, of course, its set-up is easy and flexible for a variety of installations.

If you want to open yourself up to other brands, you might want to check out the Pioneer 45TX. It has a similiar sonic signature(not quite as bright and open)and the MCACC & Air Studios Sound Tuning features really makes set-up a breeze and lets you dial in the sound to your particular room.

The Pioneer is the one that I preferred, but alot of it will boil down to individual preferences. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the common Japanese manufacturers(Yamaha, Sony, Denon, Pioneer)at a particular price point.

Also, I didn't notice any problem with the 4ES locking onto the digital signal, so perhaps that is something Sony has fixed.

Good Luck,

DJ

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
In comparison to my Outlaw 1050 (sold to afford this one) I found the Sony to be a bit bolder and more forward than the Outlaw. "Open" is a good word to describe it. I characterize the Outlaw as pretty darn neutral. I found the difference between the two to be different, not better or worse.

I found it to be a bit better on DD and DTS material for the short time I have had to play with it.

I have had it take a second or two to grab the DD signal (longer than the Outlaw), but that is with a sample size of 2 discs, so I am withholding judgement on that one. I just got the thing and have listened mostly to 2 channel music so far.

To be honest, though, this is the only receiver that offered the features I wanted (7.1, DPLII, DTS Neo) at a price I could reasonably swing. So far it looks like a good purchase.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks