What's new

Sony shows three new 3D UHD projectors at CEDIA (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just a few moments ago Sony electronics posted these press releases:

- New laser light VPL-VW885ES SRP $24,999 launching by end of November 2017

- VPL-VW285ES and VPL-VW385ES. Sony's new entry level 4K projector will retail for sub $5k and the step-up VPL-VW385ES SRP, $7,999 with a nice promotion to pair these new projectors with Kaleidescape's Strato 4K Ultra HD high-dynamic-range movie player.

vplvw285es-Large-150x110.jpg

Great times for enthusiasts with new theater plans or upgrades to existing theaters.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't see anything in those press releases about these new projectors supporting 3D.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thank you. I'm sure that you are correct and that Sony just failed to note it, because the new marketing push and buzz is for HDR.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'd love a 385 but it's about $5k above my budget =) 1500 lumens too, will be interesting to see how well that works out for true HDR.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Launch update:

VPL-VW285ES will begin shipping next week. No firm date on the VW385ES, but likely later this month. End of November for the VW885ES. We spec'd a few of the VW285ES so if all goes as planned I'll have an update with my opinions of the performance.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm probably still a ways off from making the move to a projector (especially since I just bought a 75" 940D in February to "tide me over"), but these are getting closer to what I'm looking for.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Boy. I could possibly upgrade next year. My intention / prediction was 2019.

Still, probably need to wait for 2019 to manage the finances of such an upgrade. Projector requires a UHD player which requires my theater installers to get that wired in, update the remote, etc.

And then that will probably prompt a 4K living room replacement for my 2009 Kuro.

So...hooray...?

:)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
These are great projectors, but my goal is to be 4K compatible by the end of the year on a total upgrade budget of $3000 (including the A/V receiver upgrade and player upgrade). So l’m still leaning heavily toward the faux 4K Epson Home Cinema 4000. With 3D support combined with motorized zoom and lens shift, it meets about 80% of my requirements and is in the budget.

But ... I still have about two months before pulling the trigger; and mounting the Epson in my current viewing room could be problematic due to its weight and size. So if the reviews for the VW285ES are good enough I may consider upping the budget.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
These are great projectors, but my goal is to be 4K compatible by the end of the year on a total upgrade budget of $3000 (including the A/V receiver upgrade and player upgrade). So l’m still leaning heavily toward the faux 4K Epson Home Cinema 4000. With 3D support combined with motorized zoom and lens shift, it meets about 80% of my requirements and is in the budget.

But ... I still have about two months before pulling the trigger; and mounting the Epson in my current viewing room could be problematic due to its weight and size. So if the reviews for the VW285ES are good enough I may consider upping the budget.
I considered the 4000 but ultimately went with the 5040UB. All the features are identical, however the extra $500 gets you 300 more lumens of brightness and 7 times better contrast ratio.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only one I would consider after looking over those datasheets is the VPL-VW885ES, since it is the only one that is using lasers as the light source. The other three use high pressure lamps. Unfortunately, at C$ 30000+, the 885 is also a non-starter, unless I win a lottery. Something that isn't happening any time soon with my luck.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think the 285 would be fine for me. Though the 385's auto-cal system to adjust for lamp life sounds really nice. The 885 is just out of my budget. I also think it's too early to know if laser sources really outlast lamps. (The physics of the thing say they should, but TBD on implementation for consumer hardware.)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear these support 3D! I guess it can't be called entirely "dead" if these are supporting it, though it would be a lot better if they could get projectors to work with passive glasses the way they do with regular panels now.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sorry to say we will not see any 3D content in UHD.

However, new 3D films released on Blu-ray will have 2D UHD and include a 3D 1080p disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks