What's new

Sony SA-WM40 vs Yamaha YST-SW205 (1 Viewer)

Alfonso

Agent
Sony SA-WM40 or Yamaha YST-SW205? My living room is about 10*10 feet and I intend to use the sub to HT only. Either way I'm going to buy a sub next monday. :)
Thanks.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
haven't heard the yamaha that you're referring to - but i can say that i'm rather impressed with the Sony! i got it just this past week for $134 TO THE DOOR from http://my.sony.com :D
amazing how good things sound now!!!

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
"i got it just this past week for $134 TO THE DOOR from "

How do you like the Sony? I am debating whether to buy one or not.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using the Sony for a few months and man what a great sub. Plenty of kick your butt bass and goes low to about 28hz which for a $150 is a steal of a deal. Buy the Sony and you wont regret it.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
The Sony is a good sub... for the money. If you can stretch a bit further on the budget, JBL makes a very nice 12" around $300, which is better than the Sony stuffed, but also twice as expensive. If you can approach $500, look at the Hsu VTF-2, and then you're getting into SVS price range (assuming you've got the space). I finally just got around to stuffing my SA-WM40 - got a 20 oz bag of polyfill, stuffed maybe 15 oz in there, and it sounded bad -- constrained, just awful, so I opened her up again and pulled a little less than half out. I'd say I only have 8-10 oz in there and it's somewhat improved now. Still doesn't go much below 30 Hz but it goes 35 pretty good and is audible down just past 30. The main thing the stuffing did though was to damp out the very noticable boominess the sub has, I can't belive I waited so long.

My advice, in that price range, get the Sony and visit a craft store for some polyfill.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Don't forget the AudioSource SW15 is in about this price range too and if I remember correctly Amazon.com is currently shipping it free.

Alfonso

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I really can't stretch my budget so I'm going for the Sony. Only a few hours left until I go out and buy it. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives in a week or so.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony is a good "cheap" subwoofer, and that's its main strength. If it cost any more than $200, no one would be recommending it. With that said, it's a great sub for less than $200. And even with the polyfill, it won't do much below 30 Hz. Even at that frequency, it's straining. If you can hold out a little longer and save some more money, get a Hsu VTF-2 ($450) or SVS 25-31PCi ($549). These two cost way more than the Sony but at least you know they can give you all the bass you practically need.

Alfonso

Agent
I already ordered the Sony subwoofer, it will be here next wednesday. Thanks anyway but unfortunatly prices here in Portugal are not like in the US. For instance, I'm getting the Sony sub for 230$, and that's the cheapest it will get here. Nevertheless the best price quality relation remains since you would still have to add at least 100$ to any price you would find there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks