What's new

Sony Receivers (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
Seems like when the question of what receivers people are looking at or recommending, Sony is not a part of the discussion. Yet when I see professional reviews on them, they review really well. My first 5.1 receiver was a Sony that I purchased back around 1995 or so. It still works! I have it in my bedroom now just for music hooked up to a couple old BIC Venturi's I bought around the same time. Anyone running a Sony receiver and what made you go with it over the more discussed brands like Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony’s ES line tends to get rave reviews, but their more budget-friendly line does not. I had a Sony receiver 20 or so years ago, it was the worst sounding receiver I have ever owned from a major manufacturer. I had Pioneer prior to that, and replaced that Sony with a Yamaha after only a year, and stayed with the Yamaha brand until 2014, giving Marantz a try. It was an early “4K-ready” model that lacked HDCP 2.1 that eventually was replaced with a Denon three years ago.

Real Name
Scott
Sony’s ES line tends to get rave reviews, but their more budget-friendly line does not. I had a Sony receiver 20 or so years ago, it was the worst sounding receiver I have ever owned from a major manufacturer. I had Pioneer prior to that, and replaced that Sony with a Yamaha after only a year, and stayed with the Yamaha brand until 2014, giving Marantz a try. It was an early “4K-ready” model that lacked HDCP 2.1 that eventually was replaced with a Denon three years ago.
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to replace a Denon AVRX-3000 that was sold to me as 4k around 2014 or so as well, , but also lacks the HDCP 2.1 so now I have everything going to the TV and coming in thru ARC except the Sony 4k blue ray player which must have anticipated this issue and has two HDMI outputs.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I stopped buying anything Sony related when I bought two identical car stereo cassette decks and they both failed. The warranty work was done so ham-handedly that the deck I sent in never worked properly, even after being sent in twice.

In fact, I never bought another SONY product until 20 years later when I finally purchased a "fat" PS3 and that was only because it was the only way to get a blu-ray player at one point in time.

Edit: I almost bought a SONY OLED as a replacement when I had a terrible experience with the pathetic excuse that passes as the "customer service" department at LG; however, I couldn't justify spending an extra thousand dollars over the price of the LG that I ended up going with, since the SONY used LG manufactured OLED panels.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still leery about buying anything related to sound or music from SONY.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I haven't looked at Sony in a while either, but a few years back they had a rep for being slightly lesser quality but still charging mainstream top-line prices; so Harman/Kardon price with Onyko quality (but without the generous Onkyo feature set). That rep did not include the ES models.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I stopped considering Sony for anything a long time ago. I have no idea if things have changed, but I had bought a lot of Sony products across various product lines, and all but one or two of them crapped out in record time. I've never had problems with electronic products from any other brand.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought or received several SONY products over the years, mostly small items. Invariably they all failed in less time than I would have thought would be normal for a brand with the "supposed" reputation of SONY. This includes everything from a small black cube clock radio to a mini shelf stereo CD player system. They all just quit.
The only one I had that I loved turn out not to be the accepted standard - BetaMax.
SONY is permanently off my list. Mostly Samsung and Denon and an LG 4K BR player.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have two STR-DH520s, one bought at the local Sony Outlet, the second from Ebay, $100 each, a bargain. Why two identical receivers, because I didn't want to have to learn two different set up menus!
I have: two S360s, one S1700, one S6700 Blu-ray players, all still working. I have two upscaling DVD players still working. I have a couple of portable CD players still working. I've had good luck with Sony products so far.

Rick2Hot

Grip
Real Name
Terry Behm
I got the Sony ZA5000ES about a year ago. Love it. It Rocks. Sony 85" 4K TV. Oppo 83, Oppo 93, Oppo 203 4k & a Panasonic 9000 4k. All work super together.

doanster

Auditioning
Real Name
Doan
I'm a Sony convert! Just bought my first Sony receiver yesterday, adding to my Sony TV and Blu-Ray player setup. Mainly, I just wanted to hear how well their DCS processing sounds. I've owned Harman\Kardon, Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha receivers through the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks