What's new

Sony Receiver and Vizio TV out of sync (1 Viewer)

krob

Auditioning
Real Name
Kord Robidoux
I have a Sony STR-DE997 7.1 receiver and a older 70" Vizio LED E700i-B3, connected via Digital optical cable. I have Frontier Fios STB, Apple TV, PS4, and Nintendo Switch connected to the TV using HDMI.

Since the battery on my UPS died (not sure if this is coincidence or not), I haven't been able to keep the sound in sync with the video. It seems to happen on all devices. I couldn't find anything online to help, Frontier FioS had me adjusting the sync delay on the TV, but that didn't stay. The only thing that seems to work is to turn off the receiver, and turn it back on; but that is only temporary.

Do the Digital Optical cables go bad? Any idea how to fix this delay? I've been struggling with this for months.

krob

Auditioning
Real Name
Kord Robidoux
Here's a quick diagram
1613686123147.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kord:

Do you have the capability to route all your sources into your receiver and then route the video signal out of the AVR into the Vizio display?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah. I think the receiver will perform as a better “hub” than the TV. I’ve never had any sync issues with my Sony receivers which are the main hubs of my systems.
p.s. Not to mention that you can’t even utilize the Atmos capabilities your receiver has since all the sound is routed through a meager optical cable.

Last edited:

krob

Auditioning
Real Name
Kord Robidoux
I'll try that, but it worked great for years. Had the UPS battery die (coincidence maybe), and it hasn't been the same since.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The only thing you should be doing with an STR-DE997 is throwing it in the dumpster. Its long since reached the end of its lifespan.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah. I think the receiver will perform as a better “hub” than the TV. I’ve never had any sync issues with my Sony receivers which are the main hubs of my systems.
p.s. Not to mention that you can’t even utilize the Atmos capabilities your receiver has since all the sound is routed through a meager optical cable.

His reciever doesn't have Atmos.

...hell it doesn't even have hdmi. Its from 2004.

krob

Auditioning
Real Name
Kord Robidoux
Well, Lord Dalek is correct, going into the receiver first was not possible. The receiver is old, and does not have HDMI inputs to make this happen. In doing into some research, it seems like the Digital Optical cable can't be bad, because I still get sound. Not sure why this started last fall, but it sure is a pain.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If it were me, I'd get a new receiver. I know that's "easier said than done", but I would just stop buying Blu-rays and video games until I could afford the receiver. You will enjoy the games and movies you already have a lot more if you make the upgrade, and the synch problem will be solved.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, Lord Dalek is correct, going into the receiver first was not possible. The receiver is old, and does not have HDMI inputs to make this happen. In doing into some research, it seems like the Digital Optical cable can't be bad, because I still get sound. Not sure why this started last fall, but it sure is a pain.

If the basic setup used to be fine with the same equipment and I'm not sure what a UPS going down might have possibly changed -- unless it was a surge that took out the UPS and some of the stuff behind it.

If the Sony Receiver has some sort of master reset/reboot to factory values that would be my first thought to see it that
helps your current equipment.

My 2000 Denon 5800 finally bit the dust in 2017 or so -- great phono input and one of the last of the direct Laserdisc RF AC-3 ports. I miss it dearly, but the new Marantz is certainly head and shoulders 'better' overall though a lot more difficult to set up.

Does it still happen if you change the Audio Output to PCM or is it across all audio options?
When you turn the receiver on and off, how long does the 'fix' last? If it's at least 12 hrs then I guess there is a daily power cycle that might be a temp, fix. If it's just an hour or so, then that certainly make me wonder about some sort of heat related event or capacitor that might be getting ready to die completely (that could even make the UPS dying more than a coincidence).

I guess you could even reset your TV to Factory Fresh and re-do everything, but I think that would be my last resort

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks