What's new

Sony Music Jazz/Blues Titles (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
The sub-title of this thread could be I'm not waiting for Sony SACDs anymore.
After buying some of the early Sony SACDs(which I love), I decided to wait before jumping in and buying more Sony titles by Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington etc. I figure if they put the effort into putting out Straight No Chaser on SACD, they would eventually put out more Monk titles. I figured the same for Ellington and others.
Well my local A/B Sound has alot of the new Sony jazz remastered albums on for a great price of $11CDN, so I picked up 3 Monk(Solo Monk,Underground,It's Monk's Time) and 2 Ellington(Blues In Orbit, Piano In The Foreground) titles. I also picked up the 3 Muddy Waters albums.
All the jazz albums were titles that I didn't have before and I love all of them. They also sound great to my ears. The drum sound on Blues In Orbit blows me away. I was more familiar with the Waters titles, and while they can't compare to his Chess work(nothing can IMHO), they are solid albums and worth owning.
Sorry for the long-winded thread, but basically I'm enjoying these discs as much as my Sony SACDs, and if Sony does get around to putting these out on hi-rez, I don't think I'll be double dipping,as to my ears these redbook CDs sound just fine. Sony Music may be dropping the ball with SACDs, but their redbook remasters are a good deal.

Regards
KrisM

John Watson

Screenwriter
I consider that a tip, I'll look for new cd's of some of those titles here at a reasonable price. I've heard a lot about the Blues in Orbit disk, and some Monk - Straight, No Chaser.

KrisM

Second Unit
Lee, I'd love to check out the Fantasy titles, but I've never seen them locally and ordering across the border doesn't interest me much. Too much hassle with exchange, duty, shipping etc. For the price of one SACD from the US, I can pick up three of these Sony redbooks. Not hi-rez, but some are remastered with DSD and they sound great.

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks