What's new

Turner, Sony and Warner join forces to honor legendary singer and actress Doris Day (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Turner Classic Movies, Sony Masterworks and Warner Home Video

Join Forces to Honor Legendary Singer and Actress Doris Day

Multi-Platform Celebration Includes New Double CD Set from Sony,

Four Doris Day Movies Available on DVD from WHV

And Five Consecutive Nights of Movies on TCM

Turner Classic Movies (TCM), Sony Masterworks and Warner Home Video (WHV) are teaming up on a multi-tiered celebration of one of Hollywood's most beloved stars: Doris Day. The celebration includes a new four-movie DVD package of memorable Day performance from WHV (releasing March 13); a brand new double CD set from Sony Masterworks (releasing April 3), with a collection of 31 songs curated by Day herself;; and a five-night salute on TCM (April 2-6) This multi-pronged Doris Day tribute is timed to coincide with her birthday on April 3.

“I am so thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Sony Music on this collection of my recordings. I sang hundreds of songs, but because I was so busy singing, I rarely had the time to be involved in the compilation of the albums. So in this collection are some of my favorites, ones that I loved singing, and I hope you like them too,” said Doris Day.

"Our celebration of Doris Day shows the magic that can happen when TCM and two of the industry's leading music and home video providers join together to honor one of Hollywood's greatest artists," said Dennis Adamovich, senior vice president of brand and digital activation for TCM, TNT and TBS.

“Doris Day is an iconic artist, who enjoyed a great film career spanning two decades. Doris represented the quintessential American housewife in many of her films, and the American audience appreciated her humor, warmth, and sincerity. We are proud and honored to have many of her films within the Warner Bros library,” said Jeff Baker, EVP/GM Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, Theatrical Catalog.

Sony Masterworks and TCM are proud to present Doris Day: With a Smile and a Song, a brand new 31-song collection curated by Doris Day herself. Each disc in the 2-CD set celebrates a different facet of Day’s illustrious career. The Leading Lady of the Movies highlights favorites from her numerous films including “It’s Magic” from Romance On The High Seas (1948); the title track from Love Me Or Leave Me(1955) and, of course, “Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera)," introduced in Alfred Hitchcock’s The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). The Leading Lady of Song features hits from her favorite Columbia Records albums including “But Beautiful” from the 1956 release Day By Day; “Easy to Love” from the 1957 release Day By Night; “Fools Rush In” from the 1962 release Doris Day & Andre Previn: Duets and the timeless title track from the album With A Smile and A Song, a perfect title to personify this incomparable singer, actress and entertainer.

Doris Day: With a Smile and a Song goes on sale April 3, in celebration of Doris Day’s birthday, and will be available through TCM's online store at http://shop.tcm.com, as well as other fine retailers. A complete track listing for the two CDs is included at the end of this release.

As part of its exclusive line of DVDs spotlighting Hollywood’s legendary actors and actresses, WHV will release TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Doris Day. The set will include the sparkling shipboard musical Romance on the High Seas (1948), the sharp-shooting western musical Calamity Jane (1953), the fascinating Ruth Etting biopic Love Me or Leave Me (1955) and the delightful domestic comedy Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960). Complete descriptions are included at the bottom of this release.

Special features in the TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Doris Day collection include the vintage shorts "Let’s Sing a Song From the Movie," "A Modern Cinderella," "Roseland" and "A Salute to the Theatres"; the classic Looney Tunes cartoon "I Taw A Putty Tat"; and newsreels about Calamity Jane's gala premiere and awards. The value-packed collection will be sold through TCM's online store at http://shop.tcm.comand other fine retailers, beginning March 13.

TCM will celebrate Day's screen career with TCM Star of the Month: Doris Day, a five-night collection of movies April 2-6. The week will include 28 films, spanning from her star-making debut in Romance on the High Seas (1948) to her mid-'60s romantic comedies. A complete schedule of TCM Star of the Month: Doris Day is included at the bottom of this release.

About Sony Masterworks

Sony Masterworks USA comprises the Masterworks Broadway, Masterworks, Masterworks Jazz, RCA Red Seal and Sony Classical imprints. For email updates and information please visit www.SonyMasterworks.com.

About Warner Home Video

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, a division of the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

About TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection

TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection stands as the largest-ever partnership between Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies. The initiative combines the strengths of the companies in serving both serious film buffs and a new generation of movie lovers. The TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection builds on the success of previous joint initiatives between Turner Classic Movies and Warner Home Video, including the TCM Archives series and the TCM Spotlight series.

Warner Home Video, which owns the world’s largest film library, has more Best Picture Oscar® wins than any other studio and its films have garnered more than 300 Academy Awards®.

Turner Classic Movies is currently seen in more than 85 million homes and will support Warner Home Video and the new collection with extensive marketing. TCM’s marketing plan includes print ads in TCM’s popular Now Playing guide, banners on tcm.com, and on-air mentions by the network’s renowned primetime host, Robert Osborne.

About Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Turner Classic Movies is a Peabody Award-winning network that presents great films, uncut and commercial-free, from the largest film libraries in the world. Currently seen in more than 85 million homes, TCM features the insights of veteran primetime host Robert Osborne and weekend daytime host Ben Mankiewicz, plus interviews with a wide range of special guests. As the foremost authority in classic films, TCM offers critically acclaimed original documentaries and specials, along with regular programming events that include The Essentials, 31 Days of Oscar® and Summer Under the Stars. TCM also stages special events and screenings, such as the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood; produces a wide range of media about classic film, including books and DVDs; and hosts a wealth of materials at its Web site,http://tcm.com. TCM is part of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

Doris Day: With a Smile and a Song

Two-CD Set On Sale April 3 from Sony Masterworks

Disc 1: The Leading Lady of the Movies

1. On Moonlight Bay

2. Till We Meet Again

3. It Had To Be You

4. I’ll See You In My Dreams

5. It’s Magic

6. By The Light Of The Silv'ry Moon

7. Secret Love

8. I Speak To The Stars

9. Love Me Or Leave Me

10. At Sundown

11. Shaking The Blues Away

12. Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)

13. Pillow Talk

14. My Romance

15. Little Girl Blue

Disc 2: The Leading Lady of Song

1. Easy To Love

2. Imagination

3. You Go To My Head

4. Don’t Take Your Love From Me

5. But Beautiful

6. The Song Is You

7. Our Love Is Here To Stay

8. Oh, But I Do

9. Here We Go Again

10. Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread)

11. In Love In Vain

12. With A Smile And A Song

13. Desafinado (Slightly Out Of Tune)

14. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps (Quizás, Quizás, Quizás)

15. There They Are

TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Doris Day

DVD Set On Sale March 12 from Warner Home Video

Romance on the High Seas (1948) – This easygoing romantic musical set aboard a cruise ship stars Jack Carson, Janis Paige, Don DeFore and, in her star-making screen debut, Doris Day. The terrific song score includes "It's Magic" and "Put 'Em in a Box."

Calamity Jane (1953) – Doris Day stars as the rootin'-tootin' female gunslinger, while Howard Keel plays the legendary Wild Bill Hickok. The Sammy Fain-Paul Francis Webber score includes the OscarÒ-winning song "Secret Love."

Love Me or Leave Me (1955) – Doris Day gives one of her most powerful dramatic performances in this biography of singer Ruth Etting, whose life and career were dominated by a mob boss, played by James Cagney. Daniel Fuch's screen story won an Oscar®.

Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960) – Day plays the wife of a drama critic in this delightful comedy based on stories by Jean Kerr. David Niven, Janis Paige, Spring Byington , Richard Haydn, Patsy Kelly and Jack Weston also star.

*Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

TCM Star of the Month: Doris Day

April 2-6

Monday, April 2

8 p.m. – The Lullaby of Broadway (1951)

9:45 p.m. – By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)

11:30 p.m. – My Dream is Yours (1949)

1:15 a.m. – On Moonlight Bay (1951)

3 a.m. – Romance on the High Seas (1948)

4:45 a.m. – Tea for Two (1950)

6:30 a.m. – It’s a Great Feeling (1949)

8 a.m. – Starlift (1951)

Tuesday, April 3

8 p.m. – Lover Come Back (1961)

10 p.m. – That Touch of Mink (1962)

12 a.m. – Move Over, Darling (1963)

2 a.m. – Do Not Disturb (1965)

4 a.m. – The Tunnel of Love (1958)

6 a.m. – Lucky Me (1954)

8 a.m. – Billy Rose’s Jumbo (1962)

Wednesday, April 4

8 p.m. – Midnight Lace (1960)

10 p.m. – Storm Warning (1950)

11:45 p.m. – The Winning Team (1952)

1:30 a.m. – Julie (1956)

3:30 a.m. – The West Point Story (1950)

Thursday, April 5

8 p.m. – Please Don’t Eat the Daisies (1960)

10 p.m. – The Thrill of It All (1963)

12 a.m. – The Glass Bottom Boat (1956)

2 a.m. – It Happened to Jane (1959)

4 a.m. – April in Paris (1952)

Friday, April 6

8 p.m. – Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

10:15 p.m. – Young Man with a Horn (1950)

12:15 a.m. – I’ll See You in My Dreams (1951)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT DOWN? (Out?)....wasnt this Doris Day's last theatrical movie? It always amazed me that after her successful CBS tv show of the 60s/70s (I've just revisited some of them -a bland show but Day was a Cougar definitely!)-she just quit acting. Almost Garbo-like she went into a self exile. I know they wanted her for the Kim Novak role in The Mirror Crack'd as well as for Barbara Bel Geddes replacement on "Dallas" -but was Day ever offered a big role that would get her out of retirement? Did Albert Brooks court her for Mother ? Although Debbie Reynolds very fine performance -she was robbed an Oscar and a nomination for her brilliant portrayal-I wouldnt trade now.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I've asked the Warner Archive Collection about Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?, and apparently, they can't release the film because of rights issues. However, I'm not sure why TCM didn't place the film in its schedule, unless they wanted to focus on films that centered round Day and Lights served as more of an ensemble piece. At any rate, guess we'll have to wait and see if the film finally appears on DVD. Also, when will Universal FINALLY release Midnight Lace? I still can't believe THAT film hasn't made it to DVD!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Louis Letizia said:
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT DOWN? (Out?)....wasnt this Doris Day's last theatrical movie? It always amazed me that after her successful CBS tv show of the 60s/70s (I've just revisited some of them -a bland show but Day was a Cougar definitely!)-she just quit acting. Almost Garbo-like she went into a self exile. I know they wanted her for the Kim Novak role in The Mirror Crack'd as well as for Barbara Bel Geddes replacement on "Dallas" -but was Day ever offered a big role that would get her out of retirement? Did Albert Brooks court her for Mother ? Although Debbie Reynolds very fine performance -she was robbed an Oscar and a nomination for her brilliant portrayal-I wouldnt trade now.
Her last movie was "With Six You Get Eggroll," which is a better movie to go out on than "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out." In the late seventies, there was serious talk about Rock and Doris re-teaming for "More Pillow Talk" but nothing ever came of that idea. It would have made for a nice in-joke if Doris had played the Kim Novak role in "The Mirror Crack'd" because Elizabeth Taylor has a scene where she looks into her dressing table mirror and moans "Bags, bags, go away. Come right back on Doris Day!"

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I think Day had a decent duet of films as her swan song(s) in the Summer of 1968. In June was Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? -which did a respectable $7.5 million or appx $ 45,000,000 today. In August was With Six You Get Eggroll that made $10.5 million or appx $60,000,000 adjusting to today. Not bad grosses for a nearly 45 year old actress toplining in 2 comedies (Jennifer Aniston -barely 45 , should get such grosses today in films without dying dogs- and she should, I think Aniston needs the right vehicle)-somehing very rarerly seen today . However, in the Battle of the Multi Children family comedy in the Summer of 68- Doris Days two films didnt equal -nearly - the adjusted $105,000,000 grossing Lucille Ball frolic - Yours, Mine and Ours. And Lucy was a decade older than Doris. What should have acted as a catalyst to more roles for these great Ladies of Comedy (they could have teamed up like Bette Midler and Shelley Long in Outrageous Fortune and pulled it off) -didn't nurture into much. Lucy let the Ball drop and waited 6 years till her inferior swan song of Mame let her leave movies with a whimper, while Doris called it a Day and retreated to a successful tv series till 1973 (ironically the same span of time of Here's Lucy 1968-1973)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Louis Letizia said:
I think I read somewhere - it may have in Doris's autobiography which is well worth reading - that she wanted to quit earlier and was horrified when she learned that her husband had signed her up for a T V series. Very soon after her husband died and Doris found that her earnings had vanished and she had to do the T V series because for a time she was broke. She won a mega settlement against her husband's financial adviser although it's possible she didn't get the money.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw Where Were You When the Lights Went Out at Radio City Music Hall. The audience laughed a lot, I remember. I was a teen and liked it OK. I did like With Six You Get Eggroll much more.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Where Were You When the Lights Went Out at Radio City Music Hall
Good old Radio City! Its amazing how many films discussed here were shown there. I do not remember if a show also was seen in the Summer like Easter and Christmas attractions. This Doris Day comedy had a delayed opening in NY. The rest of the country starting seeing it in June -but it didn't hit Radio City till August after the record breaking run -nearly 3 million-of The Odd Couple which was playing since April. Other hits shown at the Hall in '68 were The Secret War of Harry Frigg, The One and Only Genuine Family Band, Bullitt. With Six You Get Eggroll didnt come to NY till ,October-nearly 2 months after national rollout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks