What's new

Sony model #s (1 Viewer)

Joe Pal

Auditioning
What is the code for Sony Model #s. Some of it is easy to figure, i.e.46 or 57 or 65 is the size of the screen.

What does WV mean vs WS, and how does one tell what is the newest version?

Is a kp57ws510 an older model than a kp57ws550, and
is a kp57wv600 and older model than a kp57wv700.

And lastly am I worring about unimportant details, or should I try to get the newest set there is.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On the 510 -vs- 550, I thought the 550's had integrated HDTV tuners.

The other two, really seem like the same set, except maybe one has better ant-reflective coatings perhaps??

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
John S is correct regarding the current models. The 550's come with a built-in digital tuner, while the 510's are "HDTV Ready" sets.

Before the 510 and 550 came out, Sony had 3 models to choose from - the WS500, WV600, and WV700. The main differences in models was the addition of anti-reflective screens, and in the case of the 700 series, an improved lens system and (I believe) improved electronics/processing for displaying analog signals. The "WV" vs. "WS" designation probably has no real importance.

I'm pretty sure all of the features in the 700 have been incorporated into both the 510 and 550, so you're not missing out on anything going with the 510.

Oh, the older models had built-in memory stick readers that could be used for viewing digital camera still images, and I believe that feature is missing from the newer models. No big loss, really, IMO.

-Jason

Joe Pal

Auditioning
So in the time line of Sony HDTV the 57wv600 came first then the 57wv700, then the 57ws510, and the 57ws550 (with over the air tuner) came last.

so the 700 is not the newest the 510 or 550 is???

and I can assume that a ws set is newer than a wv set?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I actually think they are all considered current Sony models.

I'm not up on the line enough to know which was released first and avilable.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The WS500, WV600 and WV700 are no longer in production. Only the 510 and 550 are being produced now (they were both released at about the same time). You may be able to find a few straggling 600 or 700 sets that have been sitting in a warehouse for a while, but they're few and far between. Really, there's no compelling reason to seek out the older models (other than the possibility of getting a good price) as the current models have all the latest and greatest features.

-Jason

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think B&M store sells 600 except Sears. 510 and 550 are there latest. I bought a 510 recently and its awesome. I am yet to calibrate the set. But first thing I did was to reduce the contrast in all the presets.
My 510 ROCKS! and I am pretty amazed at their speakers too.

Joe Pal

Auditioning
Thanks for all the info. I was about ready to start looking for a 700 thinking it was the newest model.510's are a lot easier to find even in my neck of the woods.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A bit of trivia on Sony model numbers , the KV in TV models (eg KV27V55) stood for 'Color Video' -- someone messed up the translation to English.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The WV series has been supplanted by the non-XBR LCD based sets, commonly called GW-III or Grand Wega III.

The current WS510/55O models are descendants of the HW40 models introduced back in the fall of 01, with improvements such as the ability to convert incoming 720p to 1080i instead of the 480p on the HW series and the elimination of the "flicker" problem that afflicted all but the earliest HWs and continued in most of the WS-500s.
I think the new ones also allow convergence adjustment in the user menu, not a feature of the HW.

Service menus are still pretty much the same as the HW sets, making it easy to correct red push.

I have an early production KP57HW40 and it's given me over 2 years of trouble free operation and a gorgeous picture.
I would highly recommend the current 510/550 series, especially at the much lower prices available today (I paid $3100 for my set, equivalent 57" 510 is now around $2200) The pq on these sets is better overall than most all of the megabuck dlp/lcd sets at a bargain price.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 70XBR950 is their top of the line lcd based set.

There are 2 lines of lcd based models, the XBR and a lower priced line whose model designation escapes me at present.

Any sony television of any kind designated XBR is the best Sony of that particular type, direct view or rptv. The XBR designation was first used on a 20" analog set back in the early to mid 80s which was considered studio monitor quality. A 25" version was introduced in 85, the KV25XBR which was frequently seen as a monitor in various tv commercials for other products. I have an 86 vintage KV25XBR which will still give any current analog set a run for it's money after 18 years of hard use. It has only required one $90 repair in all that time (new tuner module).

Historically Sony has had 3 lines of tv sets, the S series, the V series and the XBR in ascending order. The new midrange non-XBR lcd rptvs are an exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks