What's new

Sony KP46W510 - "pixel" malfunction? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
I just hooked up my new 46" RPTV from Sony. Things look great, except at the very edge of the picture at the top, just right of center, I can see one each of a yellow,maroon, and cyan dot (or half circle). It is visible during a bright scene (if I'm in full mode... not visible in a letterbox) and looks like a speck of dirt from a distance.

Can I do anything about this? The flash convergance had no effect, and with the manual convergance the crosses in those areas looked converged, however I did have to align the top and bottom corners (after it had been running for a while, of course) on the right side.

Thanks,
Andy

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If you are seeing these colored dots with everything else converged chances are it is due to a bit of dirt suspended, perhaps on spider web silk, inside the middle of the TV cabinet. Where it obstrucs the beam from the red CRT you see a cyan spot.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr.video.htm

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I agree with Allan. On very rare occasions I'll get a moth trapped inside my set. When it settles on the inside of the screen it's a black dot, when it's flying around the effect is exactly as you describe--3 different colored dots moving around. The fact that yours aren't moving means there's something stationary obstructing the 3 crt beams inside the set.

If the set has a perforated fibreboard cover on the back you could remove it and be able to see up inside the box with a strong flashlight and possibly remove the object. This would be much easier than trying to remove the screen assembly.

Of course since it's a new set you could and probably should just call out the service folks to correct the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks