Sony KP46W510 - "pixel" malfunction?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy_Hamric, May 8, 2004.

1. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

I just hooked up my new 46" RPTV from Sony. Things look great, except at the very edge of the picture at the top, just right of center, I can see one each of a yellow,maroon, and cyan dot (or half circle). It is visible during a bright scene (if I'm in full mode... not visible in a letterbox) and looks like a speck of dirt from a distance.

Can I do anything about this? The flash convergance had no effect, and with the manual convergance the crosses in those areas looked converged, however I did have to align the top and bottom corners (after it had been running for a while, of course) on the right side.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you are seeing these colored dots with everything else converged chances are it is due to a bit of dirt suspended, perhaps on spider web silk, inside the middle of the TV cabinet. Where it obstrucs the beam from the red CRT you see a cyan spot.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr.video.htm

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I agree with Allan. On very rare occasions I'll get a moth trapped inside my set. When it settles on the inside of the screen it's a black dot, when it's flying around the effect is exactly as you describe--3 different colored dots moving around. The fact that yours aren't moving means there's something stationary obstructing the 3 crt beams inside the set.

If the set has a perforated fibreboard cover on the back you could remove it and be able to see up inside the box with a strong flashlight and possibly remove the object. This would be much easier than trying to remove the screen assembly.

Of course since it's a new set you could and probably should just call out the service folks to correct the problem.