What's new

Sony HT-DDW670 (1 Viewer)

RubenHT

Auditioning
Hey guys, i need some help, i need your advice on the SONY HT-DDW670, i just bought it last saturday but want to know if i can improve the sound, first:

1. Is it True that it will Sound better if i connect it directly to the Dvd player instead of the TV?

I connected this way:
- Audio cables from Home Theater to the TV (Red and White cables)
- Audio and Video cables from Dvd player to the TV (Red,White and Yellow Cables)
- and finally Audio and Video cables from my PS2 to the Tv (Red, White and Yellow cables)

Do someone please knows if i can improve something?

2. All my life i've been Cranking it up, Tv, stereo, guitar and car stereo so i don't know if i'm kind of Deaf or the Sony HT-DDW670 doesn't have enough power? or maybe i didn't connect it well enough, i will appreciate any advice or comment regarding this.

3. Is it wise to buy higher quality cables? does this improve something?

tks a lot!

vitoF

Auditioning
For digital 5.1 surround sound, you'll need to connect a digital Coax or Toslink cable from the DVD to your receiver. For video, either an S-Video or Component cables from DVD to TV. This is assuming you have a DVD player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can almost guarantee the Sony both doesn't have enough power and the speakers are likely not sensitive enough to give you the levels you are looking for. This is definitely not unusual with most HTiBs, especially if you have a larger room.

As Vito said, you need to have a digital connection from the DVD player to the receiver. That alone should help improve your sound somewhat, but may still not improve the volume if that is an issue. You can also connect the PS2 with an optical connection to the receiver.

RubenHT

Auditioning
Thank you for your input Guys I'll definetely buy de S-Video Cables and whatever i find.

Definetely the HT-DDW670 does Not have a lot of power, my room isn't that
big and i'm kind of surprised that the old RCA HT i used to have gave me almost the same power 'volume speaking'.

I'm not dissapointed, the HT it's still Good for the price but if you're looking for Power you'll not find it useful.

RubenHT

Auditioning
Ok guys, please give your opinion:

I went 'Cable' Shopping, i'm trying to improve or get the most out of my HT.

So here it goes:
I bought 'Optical Digital Audio Cable' and 'S-Video cable' both Radio Shack's brand, I connected de S-Video cable from my Tv to my Dvd and i connected the Optical cable from my Dvd to my Sony HT-DDW670.

Now in my Tv i can 'Switch' to S-Video and Clearly i see a big difference, i didn't disconnect the normal Video cable so i switch in my tv back and forth from the normal Video image to S-Video and i can see the difference.

Honestly yesterday night i didn't notice a big difference in Audio but i coueldn't crank it up because it was late but My audio receiver clearly recognizes the Optical Output and when i put on a Dolby Digital Dvd it recognizes the Dolby digital sound too.

In the Sony Manual i read that when i connect an Optical audio cable i MUST let the normal Audio cables connected to the SD - CD/CD output, i don't know why? does anyone here knows why?

it is ok to connect S-Video and Optical Audio and still left connected the normal Audio and Video cables? this doesn't downgrade the sound of my Optical connection ans S-Video connection?

tks for your help!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having the others connected shouldn't be a problem. The next thing you might want to consider is level calibration. Somewhere in the receiver's setup, you should be able to set the levels of individual speakers - having the levels matched relative to your seating position can go a long way to improving your sound. An SPL (sound pressure level) meter is the easiest way to do it, and it can be found at radio shack for around $40.

RubenHT

Auditioning
Thanks a lot John!!

I definetely will go to Radio Shack as soon as today ja
i think that's the problem, i spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to match the speakers 'Level' but i couldn't, what i want is to hear a little bit more volume on my 2 Surround Speakers, i will try that tool you talked about 'Radio Shack's SPL' and see what happens.

does someone know if the PS2 have Optical Connection output?

RubenHT

Auditioning
This is what is kind of confusing me, From the SONY HT-DDW670 User's manual (Hooking up a Super audio CD player section):

Note:
The sound is not output when you play a Super audio CD on the Super audio CD player connected to the SA-CD/CD OPTICAL IN jack on this receiver. Connect to the Analog input jacks (SA-CD/CD IN jacks).
Refer to the operating instructions supplied with the Super audio CD player.

So, if the sound is not Output What the heck is the Optical Audio Cable doing?
this means i need to buy a Good Quality cable for the SA-CD/CD IN jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks