What's new

Sony Grand Wega #KDF-E60A20 & Progressive Scan? (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
My neighbor has a Sony Grand Wega - Model # KDF-E60A20 which is stated as 1080i. Under Video Options>DRC Mode (Digital Reality Creation) - High Density and Progressive are options. Does the term "progressive" in this case mean "progressive scan" thus allowing the TV to do 1080p for videos?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No. The TV has a physical resolution of 1366x768 pixels. Its native resolution is 768 progressive lines. That is the only resolution it can display. that "1080i" reference merely indicates that it will accept a 1080i input signal. Big deal. It also accepts a 480i input signal - and it converts both of them to 768p. This is a bit of marketing nonsense to make 720p/768p sets sound like they do 1080, like advertising upconverting DVD players as turning your existing DVDs into "HD". (Some stores actually advertise upconverting or even progressive scan players that they give away with HDTVs as being "hi-def" when they clearly aren't.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks