What's new

Settings for Sony UBP-X700 (2 Viewers)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I've done my due diligence and googled and searched HTF and AVS. AVS has a thread almost 60 pages long on this player but I didn't find any recommended settings. Found the following in a Facebook group, not sure if they are correct. Obviously I want the player to upscale regular DVD's and Blu-ray's, while at the same time play 4K disks at their best.

What are your thoughts on these settings for the Sony UBP-X700?

1. 4k upscale setting off
2. HDR output and output video resolution on auto.
3. Cinema conversion mode must be on Video (not auto),
4. Remote start - off,
5. Quick start mode - on,
6. Under HDMI settings- control for HDMI - ON, linked to tv off- invalid
7. Under audio digital music enhancer and audio drc must be off not auto and down-mix mode must be on surround,
8. The tv output you have your HDMI plugged into also has to be enhanced so depending on your tv model go to tv settings and turn on uhd color, enhanced mode, or full color 4:4:4, some brands call it different things but there all the same in that you have to enable 4k on your hdmi through tv settings also
9. Turn OFF that DTS:Neo6
10. Compression is off
11. To get atmos you need DAO set to auto and secondary audio: off turn off the Secondary track in Audio settings
12. Set "Output Video Resolution" to UHD,

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the feedback!

For a different perspective, realize that some of the settings may be "setup" dependent so you may you want to experiment a little.

I'm a little confused as to which "output video resolution" you're using because (in the list above) number 2 says "Auto" and number 12 says "UHD" (Which I assume means 4K?) All I can say on that score is that I'm using the player with an LG Oled and I prefer to set it to "Auto" (which outputs blu-rays at 1080p) and let the TV's chip do the final lift to 4K. I find that forcing the player to output 4K results in a picture that feels artificial as compared to "Auto" but, again, you may want to try both to see which suits your setup better.

As for Cinema Conversion Mode, my take is a little different than Joel's in that I keep it on "Video" which has no conversion applied. I try to keep as little processing as possible from the player. Now, I will say that I don't ever use the x700 to watch upscaled DVD's since I don't think the upscaling chip is "great" on this player. I keep my older Sony for DVD's since I really really like the way the older one handles upscaling. Since I don't use it for DVD's and I have 24fps coming from the player and a 120hz panel, I'm not sure what it ever needs to convert to film cadence in the first place. You may want to try both to see which one gives you a better picture with your setup but I prefer the overall look of no conversion being applied.

To further muddy the issue, I never engage HDMI UHD Deep Color (on the player's port on the TV) unless I'm watching a UHD disc, and I actually keep my player's color output at 4:2:2. lol. All commercial blu-rays are only 4:2:0 anyway so, again, it comes down to which is better (your TV or your player) and recreating the "missing" color. 4:4:4 is important for gaming, but you shouldn't really notice any difference when watching discs and 4:4:4 eats a lot more unnecessary bandwidth between the player and the TV, IMO.

I hope this helps give a different perspective. I came here looking for answers as to why my player oftentimes doesn't want to play 1.0 channel mono through HDMI (even when set to PCM) and found your question!

Last edited:

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
For a different perspective, realize that some of the settings may be "setup" dependent so you may you want to experiment a little.

I'm a little confused as to which "output video resolution" you're using because (in the list above) number 2 says "Auto" and number 12 says "UHD" (Which I assume means 4K?) All I can say on that score is that I'm using the player with an LG Oled and I prefer to set it to "Auto" (which outputs blu-rays at 1080p) and let the TV's chip do the final lift to 4K. I find that forcing the player to output 4K results in a picture that feels artificial as compared to "Auto" but, again, you may want to try both to see which suits your setup better.

As for Cinema Conversion Mode, my take is a little different than Joel's in that I keep it on "Video" which has no conversion applied. I try to keep as little processing as possible from the player. Now, I will say that I don't ever use the x700 to watch upscaled DVD's since I don't think the upscaling chip is "great" on this player. I keep my older Sony for DVD's since I really really like the way the older one handles upscaling. Since I don't use it for DVD's and I have 24fps coming from the player and a 120hz panel, I'm not sure what it ever needs to convert to film cadence in the first place. You may want to try both to see which one gives you a better picture with your setup but I prefer the overall look of no conversion being applied.

To further muddy the issue, I never engage HDMI UHD Deep Color (on the player's port on the TV) unless I'm watching a UHD disc, and I actually keep my player's color output at 4:2:2. lol. All commercial blu-rays are only 4:2:0 anyway so, again, it comes down to which is better (your TV or your player) and recreating the "missing" color. 4:4:4 is important for gaming, but you shouldn't really notice any difference when watching discs and 4:4:4 eats a lot more unnecessary bandwidth between the player and the TV, IMO.

I hope this helps give a different perspective. I came here looking for answers as to why my player oftentimes doesn't want to play 1.0 channel mono through HDMI (even when set to PCM) and found your question!
Thanks a lot Will, I'm going to experiment as you suggest. Really appreciate your feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C2evo22
Recent bookmarks