Sony DVP-CX875P 301 DISC DVD/CD/VIDEO CD PLAYER

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Amit Patel, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

I would like to upgrade my Sony DVP-CX850D DVD player for Sony DVP-CX875P 301 DISC DVD/CD/VIDEO CD PLAYER. Any review on this player? I don’t care about DVD-Audio or video format. I have a Sony 61HS10 HDTV ready TV and would like to utilize progressive scan feature. Should I wait for HD-DVD player and get 1080i? Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Also where can I get the best price?.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Amit, as far as I know, the 'CX875P isn't out yet. Crutchfield still does not have it in stock. Their web site says it will be available on November 25th.
    As for waiting for HD-DVD, I wouldn't exactly say it is right around the corner. I see DVD-Video being around for awhile yet.
    You said:

3. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

Thanks for the info., yes I do care for DVD-Video quality, but not the DVD-Video format dvds. Looks like I have to wait for the review.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Amit said:

5. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

Thanks again, I need to get educated with different format like DVD-audio, DVD-video etc. How many DVDs have a DVD-video/audio format now a days ? Do I really need compatible DVD player to play such formats?

Thanks

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Amit, the standard DVD players out there play DVD-Video discs. The movies that you watch are on DVD-Video discs, or what we all call DVDs. DVD-Audio is different. DVD-Audio has nothing to do with movies. DVD-Audio is a high-resolution music format that exceeds the sound quality of the CD. In addition to better sound quality, DVD-Audio offers both stereo and surround-sound (5.1) capability. Also, DVD-Audio offers video capability, unlike CDs. DVD-Audio discs often include on-screen lyrics, pictures of the artist or band, interviews with the artist, band, or producer, and in some cases, a full-motion video of a song or two. Since DVD-Audio provides higher-resolution audio than Dolby Digital and DTS, the audio section on DVD-Audio discs takes up more space. This does not leave room for full-motion videos of all songs.
    Playback of high-resolution DVD-Audio tracks requires a DVD-Audio player, meaning that a standard DVD player is not sufficient. However, all DVD-Audio players play standard DVDs, as well as CDs. Peruse the following links for a good selection of DVD-Audio players at Crutchfield (mixed in with standard DVD players):
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=6&g=54400&s=0
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=6&g=54500&s=0
    The vast majority of DVD-Audio discs offer surround-sound tracks, and some offer both stereo and surround-sound tracks. In addition, most DVD-Audio discs have a Dolby Digital track, usually in 5.1, for backwards compatibility with regular DVD players. Some DVD-Audio discs have DTS tracks for backwards compatibility.
    To see what is available on DVD-Audio, check the following online dealers:
    www.amazon.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.circuitcity.com
    Also, Best Buy stores have DVD-Audio discs, and I have read that some Circuit City stores have them as well. For reviews of DVD-Audio discs as well as a list of what it available on the format, go to www.highfidelityreview.com .

7. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

Thank you for educating me, your detail explanation was very helpful. I mainly watch Action DVDs or DVDs with good sound effect, so DVD-audio which is mainly music oriented is not that critical for me or I am missing again something here.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Amit, no problem. No, you are not missing anything. If movies are your main interest, you don't need DVD-Audio.

9. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

Thanks for your detail information regarding DVD-Video/DVD-Audio.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Amit, again, no problem. Always glad to help if I can.