What's new

Sony DVP-CX875P 301 DISC DVD/CD/VIDEO CD PLAYER (1 Viewer)

Amit Patel

Agent
I would like to upgrade my Sony DVP-CX850D DVD player for Sony DVP-CX875P 301 DISC DVD/CD/VIDEO CD PLAYER. Any review on this player? I don’t care about DVD-Audio or video format. I have a Sony 61HS10 HDTV ready TV and would like to utilize progressive scan feature. Should I wait for HD-DVD player and get 1080i? Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Also where can I get the best price?.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Amit, as far as I know, the 'CX875P isn't out yet. Crutchfield still does not have it in stock. Their web site says it will be available on November 25th.
As for waiting for HD-DVD, I wouldn't exactly say it is right around the corner. I see DVD-Video being around for awhile yet.
You said:
I don’t care about DVD-Audio or video format.
I'm pretty sure you do care about DVD-Video, hence your question about the 'CX875P. ;)

Amit Patel

Agent
Thanks for the info., yes I do care for DVD-Video quality, but not the DVD-Video format dvds. Looks like I have to wait for the review.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Amit said:

I do care for DVD-Video quality, but not the DVD-Video format dvds.
Without trying to be a pain, I think you meant that you do not care about DVD-Audio. DVD-Video generally refers to movies or music encoded in either Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound. Some DVD-Video discs of concerts or music videos do have stereo tracks either in Dolby Digital or CD-quality PCM, and some DVD-Video discs are encoded in two-channel, 24/96 PCM, which provides higher resolution than CDs. DVD-Audio is an audio format that is separate from DVD-Video.

Amit Patel

Agent
Thanks again, I need to get educated with different format like DVD-audio, DVD-video etc. How many DVDs have a DVD-video/audio format now a days ? Do I really need compatible DVD player to play such formats?

Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Amit, the standard DVD players out there play DVD-Video discs. The movies that you watch are on DVD-Video discs, or what we all call DVDs. DVD-Audio is different. DVD-Audio has nothing to do with movies. DVD-Audio is a high-resolution music format that exceeds the sound quality of the CD. In addition to better sound quality, DVD-Audio offers both stereo and surround-sound (5.1) capability. Also, DVD-Audio offers video capability, unlike CDs. DVD-Audio discs often include on-screen lyrics, pictures of the artist or band, interviews with the artist, band, or producer, and in some cases, a full-motion video of a song or two. Since DVD-Audio provides higher-resolution audio than Dolby Digital and DTS, the audio section on DVD-Audio discs takes up more space. This does not leave room for full-motion videos of all songs.
Playback of high-resolution DVD-Audio tracks requires a DVD-Audio player, meaning that a standard DVD player is not sufficient. However, all DVD-Audio players play standard DVDs, as well as CDs. Peruse the following links for a good selection of DVD-Audio players at Crutchfield (mixed in with standard DVD players):
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=6&g=54400&s=0
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=6&g=54500&s=0
The vast majority of DVD-Audio discs offer surround-sound tracks, and some offer both stereo and surround-sound tracks. In addition, most DVD-Audio discs have a Dolby Digital track, usually in 5.1, for backwards compatibility with regular DVD players. Some DVD-Audio discs have DTS tracks for backwards compatibility.
To see what is available on DVD-Audio, check the following online dealers:
www.amazon.com
www.elusivedisc.com
www.acousticsounds.com
www.circuitcity.com
Also, Best Buy stores have DVD-Audio discs, and I have read that some Circuit City stores have them as well. For reviews of DVD-Audio discs as well as a list of what it available on the format, go to www.highfidelityreview.com .

Amit Patel

Agent
Thank you for educating me, your detail explanation was very helpful. I mainly watch Action DVDs or DVDs with good sound effect, so DVD-audio which is mainly music oriented is not that critical for me or I am missing again something here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Amit, no problem. No, you are not missing anything. If movies are your main interest, you don't need DVD-Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks