What's new

Sony 9000es DVD/SACD (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
How does the 9000 compare to my C555es changer in terms of CD and stero SACD? I don't listen to much multichannel.

Would a 9000es and CE775 changer be a better combo for DVD/CD/SACD than the 555es and Pannie RP56? DVD usage is progressive for a front projector and also interlaced for an SDTV.

John Cheng

Auditioning
Hello guys! I have been a member for quite some time now. I've enjoyed reading all your posts since day 1, both informative and entertaining. This being my first post, I would have to say that I did buy the 9000es 1 month aga here from Flanner's Audiovideo for $799. Unit is brand new sealed in the box, and they are an authorized Sony dealer here in Brookfield, Wisconsin( suburb of Milwaukee ).
All I can say is that it's the best purchase I ever made!!! Superb audio/video(prog/interlaced) from this unit at this price point. Can never be happier with this unit. SACD in stereo is absolutely involving and the music enriches every sense of your being.:)

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case anyone is curious, I tossed the text from that Italian site into a translator and I got the following:

"Progressive escapes video and television standard PAL do not go very of agreement, in spite of the attention of get passionate to you towards the "Progressive Scan" always are elevated. In order to resolve the problem to the source, Sony is preparing a new apparatus Top di Range, a reader DVD Video and Super Audio CD that the light will see not before the aim of 2002. The machine still does not have a name, but it will sure belong to prestigious series ES, assuring characteristic techniques of great value. Obviously the data on which Sony it heads mainly is the presence of the cited ones exited progressive PAL/NTSC, but the compatibility with SACD cannot be underrated multichannel and with the Mp3. rows This last factor renders the machine without doubt predisposed for the reading of recordable and riscrivibili supports (Cd-r/rw), beyond to the traditional Audio CD, Video CD and to much form you of recordable DVD (DVD+RW, Dvd-r/rw in Video mode and Dvd-rw in Video Recording Mode). Immancabili, obviously, the complete controls of the video and the Precision Drive 2, that it accompanies the recent products of the Japanese colossus."

Of course this is a crude way of translation and most of this doesn't make sense, but if give us an idea of what is being said. That said, I still stand by the fact that this replacement for the 9000ES will not contain MP3 decoding. Not only is Sony an opponant of the MP3 standard but as Keith mentioned, it's a high end SACD audio player -- It would be oxy-moronic to include MP3 capabilities.

Mark

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
Thanks for providing the translation, I think. ;)
John,
Welcome to the Forum (finally)! ;) Glad to hear you are enjoying the 'S9000ES. My brother bought one back in November and is very happy with it.
Gil,
I think you will get opinions both ways. The current Panasonic progressive-scan players are very well regarded, and I'm sure you don't need to read those opinions since you own one. However, my brother has the 'S9000ES, and the progressive-scan output is excellent in my opinion. It comes down to personal preference.
As audio components, I have not compared the 'S9000ES and 'C555ES side-by-side, but both are high-quality components. I have heard it said that the 'C555ES is better, especially with CDs. The 'CE775 does not compare to either the 'S9000ES or 'C555ES, though it is an excellent value now that you can score one for $200.
My feeling is that you should stick with the 'C555ES. Since you have lived with it for awhile, I don't think you would be happy giving it up for the 'CE775, even if you bought the 'S9000ES. My suggestion is either stick with your current set-up, which gives you quality video in the 'RP56 and quality audio in the 'C555ES, or replace the 'RP56 with the 'RP91. With the 'RP91, you get DVD-Audio.
Rachael,
No problem! Glad to help. Sometimes I think it would be worth moving to Europe, given the added features afforded to DVD players plus the fact that most components are available in silver or gold. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,

I CAN CONFIRM the price is $799. They are selling all units in the pipeline at this price BRAND NEW at HiFi Buys in Atlanta, which is part of the Tweeter family.

I am tempted on this one due to the excellent DVD performance as well. This is an absolute steal!

Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, good info. I agree that $800 is an excellent price for the 'S9000ES. I just wonder what the new ES model will be like and what it will sell for.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
It's probably a safe bet that Sony will not support MP3 on their new highest of high end players that you described Rachael. I could be wrong, but I don't think Sony supports MP3 on any of their equipment, which leads me to believe that the information you saw might be false.
Sony's a big MP3 supporter - just not on their DVD players (discmen now support it, MP3 memory stick players & their Clie line of PDAs...)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wolf, I don't follow developments in the portable audio arena, but my understanding is that Sony has been using a version of its ATRAC compression for its Memory Stick players, not MP3.

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
Wolf,
True, Sony does actually include MP3 support in some of their newest memory stick players and their Clie (I could not find a Discman that supported MP3 on www.sel.sony.com), but they are far from being a "big MP3 supporter". I would say they are the fathest from, more like reluctant supporters.
When portable MP3 players first started appearing in the marketplace, Sony equivelents did not support the MP3 standard. You could certainly download music from your own CD's, but these were stored in other formats that are not MP3. You'll also notice that of the major consumer level CD and DVD players, Sony is the only one that has never included MP3 support in any of its models.
The reason for Sony shying away from the MP3 standard is Sony Music. Sony makes millions of dollars every year from CD sales and in their eyes, supporting the MP3 standards in Sony Electronics equipment would jeopordize sales for Sony Music. While I believe they are including limited MP3 support in a few of their models due to consumer demand, I can't see Sony going full force with the whole MP3 thing, especially in high end SACD/ES players where the main goal in to provide the best sound available.
Mark

JoshY

Auditioning
I picked up the 9000es last week. My salesman friend told me that his discount price for friends and family was $1000. I told him to go ahead order one for me. After a week of waiting I decided to cancel my order and get the rp-91. When he called to let me know that the 9000es was in I told him I wanted to cancel. He told me that he would lower the price to $600 if I wanted it. With that price I just couldn't refuse. He went in the back and brought out a NIB 9000es. It is awsome. Only thing is now that I hear that the price has been reduced I don't feel that he gave me the best deal.

just my $.02

JoshY

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Josh, you aren't "Joshin'" us are you? ;) $600 for a new-in-box 'S9000ES, and you are concerned that you might not have gotten the best deal? Prior to your post, $800 is the best price I had heard for the 'S9000ES, and some dealers are still selling it for $1000. You did well at $600.

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
Josh, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Before your post, the lowest price found on the 9000ES was $800. The local retailers in my area are still selling the unit for $1100 and $1200 and do not price match with online retailers, even if they are certified.

Do you think you could get another 9000ES for $600 out of your friend for me? Just kidding!

Mark

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was in one of my local Tweeter stores this evening, and they had the 'S9000ES for $800. A salesman came up to me and said, "You know, you can get 15 months same-as-cash on that player." That sounded very tempting, but he was wrong. Tweeter has 15 months same-as-cash for purchases over $1000, but only six months for purchases below. Nevertheless, I was tempted to take an 'S9000ES home for $800. My brother has one, and it is a sweet machine. I don't need the SACD capability, but it is there, which is nice. For $800, you get first-rate picture quality and build quality, and sound quality is excellent relative to a lot of DVD players out there. I also like the copper chassis and detachable power cord. It's a great machine.
Why didn't I buy it? For one thing, it would be overkill for me as a DVD player. I would not use the progressive-scan ouput, as I am only using a 27" TV. Also, it would be crazy for me to buy another SACD player. Finally, I would like to see Sony's new ES DVD/SACD player. I still like the 'S9000ES, however. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks