Compression artifacts? Sony 9000ES

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike_T_, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

Hey, need a little advice. Just got done watching a movie and noticed what I think are called compression artifacts. Weird little pixles of color that pop up here and there. I might go 5 minutes without seeing them, and then boom.. I've got a Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player and it's been flawless for years. I have it connected via Component cables to a Sony HDTV running Progressive. Does it just need to be cleaned? Or is this a symptom of something else?

Thanks as usual for any advice!! Much appreciated!

2. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

I blasted it with compressed air and it seems to have cleared the problem up. Regardless, if anyone has any experience dealing with this, please advise.

Thanks!

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The compression artifacts that I've seen are more prevalent with the following material:

Imagine a shot of a wall of an apt in shadow, such that there is a very gradual color change across the wall. Instead of *seeing* a gradual color change on the screen, I see distinct patches of color.

So using a numeric representation, instead of:

I would see something like

In your case, sounds like it actually could be a faulty connection. Hopefully the cleaning sticks! [​IMG]