What's new

Sony 555ES SACD Bass Management question (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've done searches both here and on Audio Asylum and cannot seem to find an answer to my question. I've had this player for three months on a two channel bedroom system and am using Paradigm Ref 40's with no sub. I'm about to move this player to another system that utilizes a sub and have a question. If I use bass management on the player and change the setting from 2CH-Direct to 2CH+Sub, can this management be accomplished when using the L/R analog outputs only? Or do I have to connect the player via the L/R outputs of the multichannel set? Also, do I have to connect the sub output on the player to my receiver? If my receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs, does it matter if I use the bass management in the player?

See my problem? I am going to hook this player up as if it were a normal CD player, using the analog outputs into the CD input on my receiver attempting to use bass management on the player. Not sure this is going to work and the manual is anything but clear on this. Unfortunately, I cannot move this player into the second system for another week so I don't even know if it's worth it. Please help.

Thanks.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
To use the "2ch+sub" mode, you'll need to hook up at least the front right, front left, and LFE channels from the analog 5.1 outs on the player to the analog 5.1 input on the receiver/pre/pro.

If your receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs, you can't use the player's bass management.

An Outlaw ICBM wouldn't help here, since it also requires an analog 5.1 input on the receiver/pre/pro.

Alternatively, you can hook up the sub speaker-level.

Ryan

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ryan, that's what I thought. Thankfully, I'm getting a new processor in a week with 5.1 inputs so I should be all set. Looks like I'll have to go without the sub for the next week or so. Rewiring everything to use the sub's internal crossover is not what I really want to do.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that's not an ideal solution in a lot of cases -- only if you're in a strictly stereo-only situation with a three-piece sub/sat combo. Which is sort of an odd place to be.

Sounds like you'll be in good shape before too long.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks