What's new

Sony 34XBR960 34in Widescreen HDTV? Anyone have this? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Just wondering if anyone has this tv?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lkLI8ID...&avf=N&search=

If so, what has your experience been like? I have been thinking about this.

I love that it is both a True HDTV and also Digital Cable ready. Wouldnt mind dumping the cable box.

I do have a question though? Will there still be widescreen lines (the black bars above & below the material) on 2:35:1 movies and HDTV material?

Before anyone mentions DLP or Plasma. I did consider it (the weight sure is a good thing), but I would rather wait a few years until the picture has improved more as picture and sound are both important factors. The burn in issue with Plasmas is scary to me too. I do video game and leave the tv on sometimes when not at home. The tv will get substantial use by many people and I have heard Plasmas are not good for constant use. A true plasma (Not EDTV) is also still too expensive for me and I prefer not to spend so much. I just wont spend $6000 plus.

Projection TV's? Thought about it (good value for the buck nowadays), but am really no longer interested in the huge space it takes. I also dont like how they look anymore. Though they perform well. Also scared with burn in on those too.

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Direct view CRT still has burn issues as well.. Ya know..

Digital cables ready may or may not eliminate the need for a cable box. HD Cable is even more of a can of worms as to if it will work or not without a cable box.

The watch in OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) any thing wider than 1.78:1 can have black bars on top and bottom.

generally anything from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 will not have blakc bars, results can vary though.

2.35:1 will have them, there may be a zoom mode that will only lose a tad of the picture and eliminate them on the display.

The Sony large CRT direct tubes, and really great displays though in general. I'd certainly never try to talk anybody out of one of those. Lots of positives, hardly any negatives.

My favorite technology is still CRT projection for the best overall performance. The only negative with them, is the horizontal off axis viewing angles. The direct views slay them on this particular aspect.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
if you dont need the size, this tube will blow away pretty much anything on the market. projection (front or rear) just cant touch it in its respecitive price range.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From what I've heard you can't do away with a cable box because the Sony tuner won't get paid channels, digital music channels & soforth. But I do remember hearing something that Sony & the cable companies were working together on the problem. But I would not buy the set just because you might be able to get rid of the cable box. Check over at www.avsforum.com there is a lot of info on the "XBR" & as for picture quality it is the set for others to try & beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks